• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

What is the most you would spend on a meal and how far would you travel to get to it?

I'm reading the book "rice, noodle, fish" and seriously thinking of spending the next decade saving a few grand for a day trip to Kyoto.

#2 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

I think exploring, and seeing new places is worth spending money on. I say go for it! Also, might have to check out this book.

My boyfriend and I watch a looot of food network/cooking channel shows, along with A Chef's Table on netflix. There are so many places I want to travel to and try.

Currently Savannah is pretty high up on the list, and Charleston. But neither are terribly far from me. I would also definitely travel back out to Portland, OR (to visit my sister but also to eat some of that food again)

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

I think exploring, and seeing new places is worth spending money on. I say go for it! Also, might have to check out this book.

My boyfriend and I watch a looot of food network/cooking channel shows, along with A Chef's Table on netflix. There are so many places I want to travel to and try.
Currently Savannah is pretty high up on the list, and Charleston. But neither are terribly far from me. I would also definitely travel back out to Portland, OR (to visit my sister but also to eat some of that food again)

We binge A Chefs Table and then start over. It's one of my favorites.

Portland is on my list for food adventures too. My list is freaking huge. It used to be though, that I would only travel somewhere if there were multiple attractions, but we are going to go two hours each way in a few weeks just to eat dinner and I realized- why not? Why shouldn't I travel around to eat if I want to?

#4 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

We binge A Chefs Table and then start over. It's one of my favorites.

Portland is on my list for food adventures too. My list is freaking huge. It used to be though, that I would only travel somewhere if there were multiple attractions, but we are going to go two hours each way in a few weeks just to eat dinner and I realized- why not? Why shouldn't I travel around to eat if I want to?

Hell yeah! i 100% support that! Portland (and oregon in general) is amazing, there are a lot of outdoorsy things, so many waterfalls to see, the downtown area is really nice. I definitely recommend it to anyone.

I think two hours each way isn't bad at all, esp for a lil Treat Yo'Self. Honestly I would make the drive to Asheville and back to eat at a few places up there, and thats almost 4hrs each way.

#5 Shiemi

Shiemi
  • 131 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

I think I'd spend a max 100$ on a meal

I'd love to try some really expensive sushi lol. I'd definitely travel to japan and get some sushi at a top notch place.
Actually I think it's on my bucket list tbh

#6 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hell yeah! i 100% support that! Portland (and oregon in general) is amazing, there are a lot of outdoorsy things, so many waterfalls to see, the downtown area is really nice. I definitely recommend it to anyone.
I think two hours each way isn't bad at all, esp for a lil Treat Yo'Self. Honestly I would make the drive to Asheville and back to eat at a few places up there, and thats almost 4hrs each way.

All of my favorite things.

I think I'd spend a max 100$ on a meal
I'd love to try some really expensive sushi lol. I'd definitely travel to japan and get some sushi at a top notch place.
Actually I think it's on my bucket list tbh

Anywhere in particular? I'm looking into ~$300 for the meal itself and then travel, etc.

#7 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

I think the most I ever spent on a meal was a couple hundred bucks, maybe like $250. It was a Christmas/NYE dinner with my ex at Different Pointe of View  http://www3.hilton.c...ning/index.html. I was ordering bottles of wine and the waiter kept saying "you can order single glasses you know" I was like bitch. Great night though, worth it for sure. 

#8 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

I sometimes just order weird food online

#9 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

Math this. I would travel anywhere within a 10 mile radius.

msbwzy4.png

#10 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

msbwzy4.png

#11 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Because I'm cheap AF I will spend no more than $50 on a meal and will not go farther than 10 miles for it.

#12 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

What is the most you would spend on a meal and how far would you travel to get to it?

I'm reading the book "rice, noodle, fish" and seriously thinking of spending the next decade saving a few grand for a day trip to Kyoto.

Duuude you need to go to Osaka. They have the best food. I need to go to Osaka. THE FOOD. Deep fried everything with fishy sauce.

I love travelling but I probably wouldn't travel *just* for food. But it's a major bonus if there's good food. As for how much I'd spend on a meal... well I'm usually pretty cheap, but if it's a gift for a friend I can spend a lot. I think I spent like $200 on a crab dinner for my sister's birthday for both of us, that's probably the most I've spent and I didn't like that price very much haha.

#13 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

We have spent truly silly amounts, what with living in London and Paris. Boy is food-obsessed and there have definitely been a couple of holidays where the opportunity to go to certain restaurants has been the tipping point in favour of certain destinations. 

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

I sometimes just order weird food online

Elaborate. I bought milt off amazon and it was great.

Because I'm cheap AF I will spend no more than $50 on a meal and will not go farther than 10 miles for it.

If I did that, I'd end up getting 44 candy bars from the gas station. Yay, small towns.

I think the most I ever spent on a meal was a couple hundred bucks, maybe like $250. It was a Christmas/NYE dinner with my ex at Different Pointe of View  http://www3.hilton.c...ning/index.html. I was ordering bottles of wine and the waiter kept saying "you can order single glasses you know" I was like bitch. Great night though, worth it for sure.

I liked the link. PDF of menu appreciated.

#15 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

Elaborate. I bought milt off amazon and it was great.
If I did that, I'd end up getting 44 candy bars from the gas station. Yay, small towns.
I liked the link. PDF of menu appreciated.

Dried natori fish and almonds

dehydrated insects

yak meat

weird thai pocky

assorted japenese snacks

lobster crackers that looked smelled and tasted like burnt plastic

#16 Coops

Coops
  • šŸŒ§ļøšŸŒ©ļøšŸŒ§ļø

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Baldman and I occasionally splurge. I don't know our highest restaurant bill though. Probably well over 100 tho. I would definitely travel for food. We haven't gone anywhere crazy in a long time. But every time we go somewhere for my doctors appointments, we try to go somewhere rated really high and we buy drinks and appetizers and shit lol.

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

We have spent truly silly amounts, what with living in London and Paris. Boy is food-obsessed and there have definitely been a couple of holidays where the opportunity to go to certain restaurants has been the tipping point in favour of certain destinations.

Both of these are what I expected from each of you.

Dried natori fish and almonds
dehydrated insects
yak meat
weird thai pocky
assorted japenese snacks
lobster crackers that looked smelled and tasted like burnt plastic

I was not disappointed.

Duuude you need to go to Osaka. They have the best food. I need to go to Osaka. THE FOOD. Deep fried everything with fishy sauce.

I love travelling but I probably wouldn't travel *just* for food. But it's a major bonus if there's good food. As for how much I'd spend on a meal... well I'm usually pretty cheap, but if it's a gift for a friend I can spend a lot. I think I spent like $200 on a crab dinner for my sister's birthday for both of us, that's probably the most I've spent and I didn't like that price very much haha.

.Osaka just sounds like a lot more social.

#18 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Why on earth would you resort to such an unhealthy decision, lmao.

#19 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

Have you ever been to a small town gas station? Usually the finest eatery in the tri county area

#20 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

Have you ever been to a small town gas station? Usually the finest eatery in the tri county area

I have, actually. While they do have good food, I'd rather eat food that won't f*ck up my body too much. :p

#21 Trapezeo

Trapezeo
  • 746 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

Usually I travel for for adventures and architecture more than food, but when I'm on vacation I will spend a little more on food. Maybe $50 per meal. It all depends on my mood and where I am. If I go out to eat in the town there I live, I don't spend that much.

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

They don't sell fruit.

#23 Trapezeo

Trapezeo
  • 746 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Another thing that I take into consideration is what the food is. When I was in France I paid to have escargot. If a country or city I'm visiting is known for something specific, I'll try it.

#24 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Another thing that I take into consideration is what the food is. When I was in France I paid to have escargot. If a country or city I'm visiting is known for something specific, I'll try it.

Where are you from? What is it known for?

#25 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

They don't sell fruit.

The one by my house sells bananas sometimes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users