Ways to relax and de-stress without drugs and electronics

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 wikkles

wikkles
  • 556 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

Naps with my cat, yoga, rock climbing, eating.

The second and third allow for the fourth, bless.

#27 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

I like to go on walks and get lost in my imagination with music blaring in my ears (I know you said no electronics but its more of an addition as opposed to a necessity).

#28 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:10 AM

Don't like running because I can't get very far without going out of breath. But I love cycling and I bike to work no matter the weather, it helps me wind down. In fact, I love how peaceful it is to bike through rain because barely anyone else is one the roads.

#29 Kraehe

Kraehe
  • 100 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:23 AM

I just bought one of those (only it's a crystal not a cube) Hopefully it's as good as they say

Let us know what you think once you've gotten to try it! ;) 

#30 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

I used to go ride around on the bike but it's got electronics on it so idk if that counts. Otherwise i'd use a punching bag. Me and a friend pooled money together to buy one to set up in his garage, along with jab pads to spar with. So Saturday's were de-stress days for us, anything built up during the week you'd pick up the gloves and feel so much better afterwards  ^_^

Let me know what the fidget cube is like, i'm always playing with shit to keep my hands busy. I usually use a lighter in my pocket and I don't even smoke anymore.

#31 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

Let us know what you think once you've gotten to try it! ;)

I will do, it hasn't arrived yet but when it does I'll give everyone an update :) 

#32 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

Riding my bike around my neighborhood used to be the only thing to keep me sane some summers :p

I also have a great appreciation for hiking, but since I live in a big city I don't get to do it often. I pace when I'm nervous, so I guess that relaxes me? Oh and playing guitar and singing. I'm decent at it, far from great at it, but I enjoy it.

#33 wikkles

wikkles
  • 556 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

So last night I tried paddleboard yoga for the first time - if anyone ever gets the opportunity to try this, do it!!! It was so relaxing and peaceful, I loved it.

#34 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Recently, I got a fidget cube. It's fun and relaxing to use. ^_^

I had one of these and it made me so much more stressed. Eventually I destroyed it in a rage.

#35 zex

zex
  • 224 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

Meditation with an amethyst on my third eye. 

If I want guided meditation, Headspace is awesome, but you said no electronics so...

#36 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

If I want guided meditation, Headspace is awesome, but you said no electronics so...

...so going to an in-person guided meditation is one non-electronic, more costly option...?

#37 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

oh

#38 windy

windy
  • 25 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

Getting ready** for no reason, long walks, showers, remembering embarrassing moments, seriously cleaning the home (scrubbing/reorganizing/dusting/folding clothes)! Cleaning is so effective. 

Edited by windy, 29 October 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#39 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

This used to be my go-to. Running is so relaxing for me. I can't do it anymore tho. 

Same :crybaby: I miss running.

My list:

I hunt for mushrooms and other fungi.  I help others identify mushrooms.  A lot of the time I hurt too bad to go hiking though (so I do a lot of mushroom "hunting" and ID online).

I take baths a lot more frequently now, like almost daily, to help me relax.

Making a cup of tea and sitting down at the table to look out the window at my pretty wooded backyard.

Reading tarot cards and making extensive notes

Studying occult subjects, again with lots of note-taking

Meditation, visualization exercises, practicing psychic abilities

Doing other witchy stuff

Just doing and thinking about nothing for a while

#40 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

Aromatherapy
Meditation
Baths
Combining the three above
Nature
Reading
Writing
Naps

Spoiler

#41 earthanimal

earthanimal
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

there are two things that are guaranteed to calm me down if i'm highly stressed and/or having a panic attack.

the first is my partner. if he's around, i can get cuddles from him and be just fine. the second is sensory deprivation floating. the most relaxing thing i've ever experienced in life.

of course, those two things are not available to everybody and i am very fortunate to have them. so, other than those things.

cleaning will typically completely clear my mind, which is incredibly helpful if i'm having a "stuck in my own head" kind of stress

gardening helps when i am both stressed and depressed. or just sitting/walking in dirt. dirt is very good for your emotional well being

going for a jog helps me when i am angry or extremely overwhelmed

stretching, meditating, yoga, or laying in a bath help me feel good no matter what is going on in my life (but are particularly good for physical stress)

and working on my business makes me feel productive and responsible, which in turn cuts my stress down a bit

and aromatherapy, always. dem essential oils can fix anything

#42 greenhorn

greenhorn
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

I clean my fish tank or check on my animals. Clean cages and stuff. It's surprisingly relaxing, for me anyway. 

#43 vbishop86

vbishop86
  • 19 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

I am curious.

How do you relax without drugs and electronics? When I say no drugs, I mean you can't use the things you find in a drug store like pills and syrups, but you can still get the pharmacological effects from the natural sources of those drugs. For example: using certain willow bark to experience the effects of aspirin. When I say no electronics, I mean the electronics cannot be the source of your enjoyment and pleasure. For example, you can use a table lamp to read a hard copy book, but you cannot use a tablet, phone, or computer to read an electronic copy of that book or watch videos. 

So, how do you do it?

Spoiler

Adult colouring books here. <3

#44 Neoxx

Neoxx
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:01 AM

I don't other than sleeping really :lookaround:

Hahaha, but really I will go for a walk with my dogs or read a book.

#45 Dorea

Dorea
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

I use a paper face mask and lie down in bed while I have it on. 

#46 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

I'm surprised no one has said alcohol.

Just kidding. Or am I? 

Reading helps. I sort of get lost in the world the book is creating. Going for a walk or having a nice sit outside. Maybe some cross stitch.

#47 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:38 PM

I was pretty sceptical about the whole "colouring in" thing but then I ended up doing a lot of colouring in with markers while I was unwell recently, and it was extremely calming. I didn't use one of those adult colouring book doohickeys, I drew my own art, but the process of colouring in was super relaxing

#48 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

My preferred relaxation method of choice is spending huge amounts of money without looking at my account balance! Oh yeah!

#49 weaboo

weaboo
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:53 AM

This might sound weird but sometimes if i'm stressed ill go outside walk a little, find a bench and just sit down start thinking about whatever is annoying me, once the winds start gushing through i inhale and exhale, do some breathing exercises and keep repeating till i calm down and start flooding myself with happier positive things i have going on/looking forward too. If I can't go outside, I just sit and play with maybe a hair tie or smth till my brain switches off. it's weird to explain but it's helped me.

I've suffered with insomnia for years, since i was 9 till about now, so 21. Very recently, ive figured that concentrating on my breathing whilst i attempt to sleep really relaxes me and helps me nod off. It's different when someones like oh yeah "just breathe you'll go bed" but its so much more to that until you start doing it.

This post got really long and annoying, so i'm sorry ! <3 thank you for this post~

#50 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

Cleaning.

Sex.

Reading.

Bike riding.

Running.

Gardening (#stereotypes)