Gardening

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WhatATwist

WhatATwist
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone else did gardening of their own? A mate and I are starting out small - hoping to really get everything off the ground.

Growing a boatload of seedlings (about 100 of them) for Razmataz.
Got 3 cucumber plants going, a jalapeno plant, about 5 bean plants (bush beans), some snow peas, 5 strawberry plants, a long with a boatload of assorted herbs and spices.

Yours in gardening,

WhatATwist.

#2 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:07 AM

I have loads and loads of indoor plants and succulents that are propagating at the moment but my outdoor garden is kind of slow getting off the ground. I have some wild flowers growing in a flower bed I made out from my house but in weeks all they've done is sprout a little. I have an aloevera plant outside also. That's it. I tried growing herbs but they didn't even sprout so I suspect I bought bad seeds as I tried germinating them before hand and still nadda. 

I'll stick to my indoor plants! I'm moving them outside once they are mature enough

#3 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

I got a 4 for a dollar pack of random flower seeds and planted them in a spot that used to have a rotting tree trunk in the local park last week. It's been I think 8 days since and I never personally cared for them. I just watered with whatever was in my water bottle. When they grew up to be flowers, the deer would probably eat them. I'll update whenever.

4bNUzKS.jpg

#4 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:57 AM

I got a 4 for a dollar pack of random flower seeds and planted them in a spot that used to have a rotting tree trunk in the local park last week. It's been I think 8 days since and I never personally cared for them. I just watered with whatever was in my water bottle. When they grew up to be flowers, the deer would probably eat them. I'll update whenever.

4bNUzKS.jpg

That's a pretty nice idea. I have a box of wildflower seed I haven't been using, I should keep it in my backpack and just sprinkle them in places that need TLC. Save the bees!

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:15 AM

I have loads and loads of indoor plants and succulents that are propagating at the moment but my outdoor garden is kind of slow getting off the ground. I have some wild flowers growing in a flower bed I made out from my house but in weeks all they've done is sprout a little. I have an aloevera plant outside also. That's it. I tried growing herbs but they didn't even sprout so I suspect I bought bad seeds as I tried germinating them before hand and still nadda.

I'll stick to my indoor plants! I'm moving them outside once they are mature enough

Most culinary herbs are difficult to start from seed. It's probably not you, just the plants you're choosing.

I grow whatever I can get my hands on. This year, we've planted a walnut tree, a crabapple, another grape vine, 4 different peppers, calendula, African daisies, basil, cilantro, parsley, oregano, thyme, bee balm, garlic, and bush beans. I know I'm forgetting stuff too. I WANT indoor plants, but I'm terrible with them.

#6 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:34 AM

Most culinary herbs are difficult to start from seed. It's probably not you, just the plants you're choosing.

I grow whatever I can get my hands on. This year, we've planted a walnut tree, a crabapple, another grape vine, 4 different peppers, calendula, African daisies, basil, cilantro, parsley, oregano, thyme, bee balm, garlic, and bush beans. I know I'm forgetting stuff too. I WANT indoor plants, but I'm terrible with them.

I was growing onion, sweet basil, and parsley. None of them sprouted lol I was so bummed, what do you think I should do? 

Also, indoor plants, I say this 100 times a month to everyone and their auntie but get some pothos. They are low maintenance, don't need too much sunlight, they're pretty as fuck, and they are listed by NASA as an air purifying plant. Super easy to propagate too, just from clippings. If you want I can look into sending you some of my clippings, I think they'd be durable enough to make the trip.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

I was growing onion, sweet basil, and parsley. None of them sprouted lol I was so bummed, what do you think I should do?

Also, indoor plants, I say this 100 times a month to everyone and their auntie but get some pothos. They are low maintenance, don't need too much sunlight, they're pretty as fuck, and they are listed by NASA as an air purifying plant. Super easy to propagate too, just from clippings. If you want I can look into sending you some of my clippings, I think they'd be durable enough to make the trip.

Your basil didn't even sprout? Are they warm enough? I would buy onions in sets instead of seeds. They're like little bulbs and not much more expensive than seeds, just a couple dollars more.

In a plant group I'm in, a woman didn't water her pothos for two years cause she thought it was fake and IT STILL LIVED IT WAS CRAZY. I think the reason indoor plants don't work for me is partially because our indoor temp varies so much from the poor insulation and partially because Virgil lays on them.

#8 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

Your basil didn't even sprout? Are they warm enough? I would buy onions in sets instead of seeds. They're like little bulbs and not much more expensive than seeds, just a couple dollars more.

In a plant group I'm in, a woman didn't water her pothos for two years cause she thought it was fake and IT STILL LIVED IT WAS CRAZY. I think the reason indoor plants don't work for me is partially because our indoor temp varies so much from the poor insulation and partially because Virgil lays on them.

Yeah even my basil! Nothing sprouted! I'll try again and look for those onion bulbs. I had them on the windowsill and they got lots of light so I might have to just take it a step further and put them outside.

But yeah, pothos are awesome lol My cats play with them too and have knocked them over so many times, once they fell out of the soil and were laying with the roots exposed all day before I cleaned it up and they still survived. I'm Canadian and mine survive just fine inside even when it's chilly / low light so I def think they'd do okay indoors in MO. 

#9 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:31 AM

Don't listen to advice from @Kate, she kills everything her black hands touch.

#10 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

Don't listen to advice from @Kate, she kills everything her black hands touch.

LOL I'm guessing you heard about my greenhouse massacre

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

LOL I'm guessing you heard about my greenhouse massacre

I stay updated, yeah :p

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

I stay updated, yeah :p

*sobs into fried plants*

#13 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

3 weeks after planting

NaZwcba.jpg

#14 DogeWow

DogeWow
  • Banned from trading. Do not trade with this member!

• 17 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:52 PM

3 weeks after planting

NaZwcba.jpg

Wonder what they will look like if they are in full bloom.

#15 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:43 AM

I came here for pictures and was disappointed. :( @Kate @Jess y'all should post plant pictures! @Kat show off your succulents too!

#16 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:09 PM

I've been trying my hand at gardening lately, so I'm glad this thread exists! Right now I'm growing basil, chives, tomatoes, red peppers, limes, and mandarin oranges, but I hope to invest in some more planters and seeds soon. We have a massive deer population in our neighborhood that wil eat just about anything, so I have to fit everything within our backyard fence. I also bought a mandevilla plant in early May, and after some pruning a couple weeks ago, it's blooming beautifully. It's actually getting quite big, so I'll have to figure out a plan for when the cold season comes. I'll try and take a few pictures soon! 

#17 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

I'll post some pics soon! :D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users