Taiwanese Independence From China

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 volycz

volycz
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:56 AM

Question:

Should we the international community support Taiwanese independence?

There's no doubt China's on the verge of becoming the next Super Power...an economy growing at a pace of 7-9 percent a year(fastest in the world) and a population that's over four times that of the US can justify that...

This is obviously where the concern of the intenrational community arrives..is China getting too strong? No need to say "maybe", this is a definite YES...and reunification with Taiwan(an impressive economy in itself) will only make China that much stronger...I understand the "worry" of other nations, but I feel other nations DON'T have the right to tell China that they can't reclaim what once/is theirs...which is what nations would be doing by supporting Taiwanese independence..

It's not necessarily a "forced" reclamation either, as the biased news of some parts of the world prescribe (I.e United States), it's a fact MOST of the Taiwanese(the population) want to reunite with China. The only "thing" keeping them from becoming "one" with China is the communist party that embodies the government...What I suggest though is that the "communist" ways of the Chinese aren't the "communist" ways that propogated separatation in the past. Otherwise, China wouldn't be observing the economic glory it is now..."Communist" or any other types of government in the world are no longer"definite"...For example, China has fused "Communism" with capitalist ideas..Yes, it's still in essence "Communist", but not in actual application..Party affiliations aren't as defined as they once were, which explains the overlapping of conservative and liberal point of views in some people..So what I'm basically saying is that if party affiliation is all that's delaying this process, let Taiwan keep their government...

Obviously, it's not that easy since the Chinese are bonified supporters of their communist ways and the Taiwanese are pretty hardcore with their own -- Ever see them fight each other at meetings concerning the government/governmental policy?...lol, old ladies literally decking each other..hilarious...

let me get back on track and talk about international "invervention" (I.e. support of Taiwanese independence). I still believe international intervention isn't justified. Just because China is displaying a monopoly of some sorts (or eventual monopoly) is this reason enough for the international community to come in and say "Nuh uh, we won't allow that"? Is a country not allowed to reap the benefits it manifests itself? Some may not believe this, but I'm all for enjoying the fruits of your labor...What bugs me specifically is the US's instigating...They proclaim their support of China and Taiwan reuniting, but their actions prove otherwise..If at any time China implements force to reclaim Taiwan, the US will goto Taiwan's aid--they've mentioned this..what the hell is up with that? Not that I believe China will initiate an attack, but even if they did, who the hell is the United States to step into what is literally civil affairs? The US's stance, intervention, or whatever you call it, directly affects the discussions of the two sides..The US putting themselves in as a "back up" to Taiwan gives the few supporters in Taiwan of "not reuniting" only more reason not to reunite..Why re-unite if the US is gonna back u up? What do the Taiwanese have to be afraid of? They literally have the world's strongest military backing them up...What's China going to do if the Taiwanese don't want to reunite? The US's intervention isn't a means to balance the two sides, though it appears this way to the nonchalant observer. It's means is to push Taiwan toward NOT unifying..The military backup of the US is saying , "Please consider not reuniting with China, Taiwan...if China tries anything, we got your back"...Again, this form of back up isn't a gesture of aid/help... it's an indirect FORCE of bias toward Taiwan not reuniting with China...

And the american government saying crap about Chinas aggression towards the world...
I'd like to paraphrase a Southeast Asian politician. I can't remember who exactly, but I think it was the former Prime Minister of Malaysia Mahathir Mohammad who said something like this:

The Chinese have been our neighbour for hundreds of years, and yet they never tried to conquer us, even at the peak of their power.

The Europeans, on the other hand, as soon as they were capable, sailed half way across the world just to come make war with us.

So when the Americans (an offshoot of the Europeans) try to brand the Chinese rise to power as a menace, just laugh, and pretend that you're watching an episode of The Simpsons.

#2 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

Taiwan should. It's holding back China economically. They would probably increase of china let Taiwan go. Yes, Taiwan has a great economy, but it's 'Rebellion' is costing China a lot.

#3 hoju

hoju
  • 1831 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

I just have to ask. Are you asian? Chinese?

#4 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:41 PM

Actually... from what I understand... a lot of Taiwanese hate China even now, so... Really I think they should decide what is right and what their belief systems are. Fortunately though... China is no longer "communist" so Taiwan would be allowed to prosper as usual. So either way it's not bad. Yes China is something to worry about however I have a feeling they will level out very soon. They have a lot of problems coming ahead of them... Specifically the disturbing male to female ratio and the lack of population that will be there in the next generation. Also their immagrant rates are not very good. A lot of good industrial nations depend on immagrants... Honestly I don't loose any sleep over China. If they become a super power all the good to them, but I don't believe we are really in any danger...

#5 volycz

volycz
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

I just have to ask. Are you asian? Chinese?

yea I'm chinese :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users