Trouble with internet connecting to P2P networks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:51 AM

Ironically, for once I am using Limewire and Bitlord in a legal way, and of course, it's not working. The students at my school use P2P networks to transfer class notes ans such, thus making it so the school doesn't block the programs. Well for some reason my computer won't work on either program and I have no idea where to start figuring out the problem.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

Forward your ports? Make sure your firewall isn't blocking the connections?

#3 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

if you are using Comcast, they are cracking down on P2P. they may have blocked P2P usage pemanently.

#4 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

I have no idea what service I'm using, and they have the firewall through the school, I can't even look at the settings.

Just checked, its Verizon.

#5 Lemonblood

Lemonblood
  • 2830 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

Your speedtest says you use comcast...

#6 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(Lemonblood @ Sep 11 2007, 01:13 PM) View Post
Your speedtest says you use comcast...

O must of missed my topics lol. I've moved twice in the past year. Thats from my last house. Now I live on a college campus.

#7 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(Icey Defeat @ Sep 11 2007, 11:15 AM) View Post
O must of missed my topics lol. I've moved twice in the past year. Thats from my last house. Now I live on a college campus.

You don't have peer guardian installed or anything right?

Go here and take the last test...it'll test your ports to see if they're open for p2p applications. If they aren't, you'll have to do some port forwarding.

#8 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

Yup ports aren't open

#9 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE(Icey Defeat @ Sep 11 2007, 01:17 PM) View Post
Yup ports aren't open

Is there a router between you and the modem or are you connected straight to the modem?

#10 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

Obviously a router is involved. School campus. Means everything is run together through routers and switches until it hits the backbone and goes to the internets.

Shift the ports you are using. Find a program that does penetration test on your main firewall at school. If you need the IP of the firewall, do this:
Open "cmd" via Run.
Type "tracert google.com"
When the first octet changes, that generally means you just escaped the campus and are in the cloud. So start port scanning everything before the octet change, until you find one allowing : 80, 8080, 443, 23, 21. Those should all be allowed, so anything allowing them through is most likely a firewall/router. Port scan for ports higher than 1024, when you find one open, set your BT clients to use that port. biggrin.gif

Turn off Windows Firewall if you have it installed. It does funky shit that won't let a program make more than 10 connections at a time.

#11 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Sep 11 2007, 04:31 PM) View Post
Obviously a router is involved. School campus. Means everything is run together through routers and switches until it hits the backbone and goes to the internets.

Shift the ports you are using. Find a program that does penetration test on your main firewall at school. If you need the IP of the firewall, do this:
Open "cmd" via Run.
Type "tracert google.com"
When the first octet changes, that generally means you just escaped the campus and are in the cloud. So start port scanning everything before the octet change, until you find one allowing : 80, 8080, 443, 23, 21. Those should all be allowed, so anything allowing them through is most likely a firewall/router. Port scan for ports higher than 1024, when you find one open, set your BT clients to use that port. biggrin.gif

Turn off Windows Firewall if you have it installed. It does funky shit that won't let a program make more than 10 connections at a time.

I was referring to a router in his room you door-knob. It doesn't matter where your network is, you're going to have routers. You troubleshoot at the beginning, if he's going through a router in his room, then he needs to port forward there, if he's not, then he can start troubleshooting other places.

If it's like other colleges, your layout is like this:

Icey > 100mbps T1 connection on a segregated vlan on a switch
router routes between the switch and another router which leads to the internet.

So, first he has to determine whether his own router blocks it. If he doesn't have one, then it's likely an acl (access control list) on the school's router.

#12 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Cript @ Sep 11 2007, 05:59 PM) View Post
I was referring to a router in his room you door-knob. It doesn't matter where your network is, you're going to have routers. You troubleshoot at the beginning, if he's going through a router in his room, then he needs to port forward there, if he's not, then he can start troubleshooting other places.

If it's like other colleges, your layout is like this:

Icey > 100mbps T1 connection on a segregated vlan on a switch
router routes between the switch and another router which leads to the internet.

So, first he has to determine whether his own router blocks it. If he doesn't have one, then it's likely an acl (access control list) on the school's router.

You said before he connects to the MODEM. There would be no modem except the school's backbone. So I assumed you were talking about the backbone to the entire school. dry.gif

And I very much doubt they would give him access to the router's settings, unless he purchased it on his own. But either way, forwarding or not, he would still be able to DL via BT, just VERY slowly...

#13 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Sep 11 2007, 05:13 PM) View Post
You said before he connects to the MODEM. There would be no modem except the school's backbone. So I assumed you were talking about the backbone to the entire school. dry.gif

And I very much doubt they would give him access to the router's settings, unless he purchased it on his own. But either way, forwarding or not, he would still be able to DL via BT, just VERY slowly...

I said modem b/c I missed the college part. Whether or not he has a router is still important.

Plenty of people have wireless routers in their dorm room...I sure did.

#14 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

I'm connected to the wall if that helps. What you said sounded good I just don't know how to do it

#15 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(Icey Defeat @ Sep 11 2007, 09:38 PM) View Post
I'm connected to the wall if that helps. What you said sounded good I just don't know how to do it

Excellent.

In that case, you are likely connected to a switch. Follow Cataliste's advice and scan your ports above 1024 until you find an open one. I recommend you use the port scanner at the link I sent you. Or, just search download.com for a port scanner (that way you can scan ranges.) When you find one that's open, tell your programs to use it.

#16 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

Thanks a bunch smile.gif Codex is THE spot for help smile.gif

Didn't find any open ports, but the program's weren't too good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users