Quantcast

Photo

Expiration date on ranks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Expiration date on ranks (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Should this idea be implemented?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Black Flame

Black Flame
  • 6063 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (BrknPhoenix @ Apr 17 2006, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the secrecy people seem to value with some of the things on this site, it seems it would be negative to leave loose ends like inactive accounts that have access to private areas. Once someone has become that inactive, you never know what their loyalties are anymore or what they are using the site for if they do log back in.

* a board modification that keeps track of someone's last date logged in, and will automatically revoke any special privelages after a set amount of time
* varying lengths of time depending on the access of the position (i.e. 6 months for advanced member accounts, 2 months for programmer accounts, 1 month for leader/moderator accounts, or something like that)
* a vacation mode, where a user can submit a reason they will be gone and approximately for how long. An admin would have to approve the vacation mode and set a possible expiration date for the vacation mode
* the user posting would automatically disable the vacation mode

I just bring this up because I look at the member list and I see some retired members that have been inactive since last year, a mod that hasn't logged in for over a month and rarely posts, etc. etc... There should be some sort of incentive to at least log in once per month tongue.gif lol

So what do you all think? Yay or nay?

Vote or die! tongue.gif

#2 Hazard

Hazard
  • 3424 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Alot of private and retired members who arent even active 1we8.gif whats the point

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

I do agree with this one, inactive members with higher ranks are just a security risk.

#4 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

I don't believe there is a reason to remove permissions for inactive members for the general ranks ( member / advanced member / private / retired ) They where all earned for there activity and personality and as there is no real threat to the forums I don't think it's right to strip the title they earned from them.

However teams and staff positions very will should be removed if they are unable to fulfill the responsibilities that come with the privileges.

#5 Neo

Neo
  • 2032 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

I think some of the retired members, who were given the rank when the site was only a few months old, should be demoted. Mainly because they haven't been on the site in aaaaaages tongue.gif

#6 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Neo @ Mar 11 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think some of the retired members, who were given the rank when the site was only a few months old, should be demoted. Mainly because they haven't been on the site in aaaaaages tongue.gif

Exactly what I would have said.

I have always wondered why Private members or even Retired members who are inactive still have the ranks. If they dropped in every so often I could understand but some of them are none existent tongue.gif

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Cory @ Mar 11 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't believe there is a reason to remove permissions for inactive members for the general ranks ( member / advanced member / private / retired ) They where all earned for there activity and personality and as there is no real threat to the forums I don't think it's right to strip the title they earned from them.

However teams and staff positions very will should be removed if they are unable to fulfill the responsibilities that come with the privileges.

iawtp

#8 Brad

Brad
  • How about a magic trick?

• 4565 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

Ya, this has been discussed in staff for a long time. I've championed it for what... a year and a half now? I'd write the damn mods myself if I knew how.

#9 Lawivido

Lawivido
  • iOS Hacker

• 2018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Laser Wave @ Mar 11 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do agree with this one, inactive members with higher ranks are just a security risk.

#10 adonis

adonis
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

how are they a security risk if they are never around?

#11 Sunset

Sunset
  • 699 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

I agree for a couple resons, main reason yes the security risk , and whats the point of having a higher rank if you are not even on the site for a very long time without reson, prob never to come back... wait a min everyone comes back to codex tongue.gif

#12 adonis

adonis
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Mar 11 2008, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a) the old account could be broken into
or more likely
b) where the person has left because they no longer care about the site, but will come back on to gather information to leak. Believe me this happens.

Well I will take your word for it and vote yea. I had thought of those things myself but felt the percentage of risk was minimal. But if it indeed has happened before it is best to not have to relive that error.

#13 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Neo @ Mar 11 2008, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree. I think some of those people are the ones most deserving of the rank. Even if they're never around to enjoy it, we should remember them as retired members.

QUOTE (Oaken @ Mar 11 2008, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have always wondered why Private members or even Retired members who are inactive still have the ranks. If they dropped in every so often I could understand but some of them are none existent tongue.gif
There shouldn't be many inactive privvies. Most of my lot stay active, or they're lurking. I'll run through a check to make sure though.

#14 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

Private and Retired ranks are earned based on personality as well as activity. There is no requirement of activity to stay in that position and with such removing them from that position is kinda meaningless.

They where promoted to there position under the majorities opinion that they would not link the content of that section and assuming that they have changed is kinda pointless.

I also disagree with the idea to remove it until they come back for a while and ask for it. Once I leave I'm just going to disappear and if I decide to come back even for a short time I can almost guarantee you my return will be with some sort of rant in the private or retired section. If I no longer have access to that section I would rather just not post and forget about the site in general.

Lets not forget the members who have earned there positions.

#15 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Mar 11 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well a split then? You hold the rank but see no benefits unless you actually return. Like having retired tag in member title but being member. Or having the retired tag but only seeing member areas?

Seems like a lot of work for not a lot of risk prevention.

#16 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:46 AM

Agreed Patrick. Waste of time since there isn't anything to protect anyway.

#17 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, Laser, as obviously you know more about this than I do, but isn't it true that if there's IP security on these accounts that there is no risk. If the admins do their jobs and keep making sure that there's IP security on accounts (I still want to know what the hell happened before) then there shouldn't be a problem. It's annoying but trust me it's worth it.

#18 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Mar 12 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct me if I'm wrong, Laser, as obviously you know more about this than I do, but isn't it true that if there's IP security on these accounts that there is no risk. If the admins do their jobs and keep making sure that there's IP security on accounts (I still want to know what the hell happened before) then there shouldn't be a problem. It's annoying but trust me it's worth it.

True but as far as I'm aware it's only staff who have it turned on by default and that's only because certain people can't be trusted to secure their own accounts properly. dry.gif

(IP security pisses me off if you can't tell. tongue.gif)

Edited by Laser Wave, 12 March 2008 - 07:20 AM.

#19 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Laser Wave @ Mar 12 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True but as far as I'm aware it's only staff who have it turned on by default and that's only because certain people can't be trusted to secure their own accounts properly. dry.gif

(IP security pisses me off if you can't tell. tongue.gif)

What, the fact that it has to exist? Or the fact that some people are stupid enough on the internet to warrant it being a sufficient problem? I'm interested to hear your reasons tongue.gif

#20 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (redlion @ Mar 12 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What, the fact that it has to exist? Or the fact that some people are stupid enough on the internet to warrant it being a sufficient problem? I'm interested to hear your reasons tongue.gif

The fact that people in positions of responsibility are stupid enough to not secure their accounts properly.

#21 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (Laser Wave @ Mar 12 2008, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that people in positions of responsibility are stupid enough to not secure their accounts properly.

Lawl. If there were some way to buy you a pint over the internet, I'd do it.

And DON'T find me a site that I can do it at. Fucker.

#22 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (redlion @ Mar 12 2008, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lawl. If there were some way to buy you a pint over the internet, I'd do it.

And DON'T find me a site that I can do it at. Fucker.

As long as it's not that piss you Americans call beer. tongue.gif

#23 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Laser Wave @ Mar 12 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as it's not that piss you Americans call beer. tongue.gif

Well I'd be buying you a beer in England, wouldn't I? I don't drink Budweiser or Miller or Coors, if those are the brands you're implying. I enjoy Guinness, and Newcastle Brown Ale is enjoyable. Stella Artois isn't bad either. Meh, thats about it for my knowledge of English/Irish beer. I'm technically underage in the states, so getting my hands on good alcohol is a bitch.

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (redlion @ Mar 12 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I'd be buying you a beer in England, wouldn't I? I don't drink Budweiser or Miller or Coors, if those are the brands you're implying. I enjoy Guinness, and Newcastle Brown Ale is enjoyable. Stella Artois isn't bad either. Meh, thats about it for my knowledge of English/Irish beer. I'm technically underage in the states, so getting my hands on good alcohol is a bitch.

You have good taste. tongue.gif The official beer of my home city. biggrin.gif

#25 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Laser Wave @ Mar 12 2008, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have good taste. tongue.gif The official beer of my home city. biggrin.gif

So it seems finding a place for me to buy you a beer online would be to your benefit tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users