Photo

[Guide] Stock Market[done]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

Confused about the difference between a share and a stock? When to sell and when to buy? What all the totals mean? Well, I'm here to help! smile.gif

Stocks are something people call an "invest-and-leave-alone" type of "game." Don't read this and expect to make millions in a few days. Stocks usually take anywhere from months to years to work (unless you get superstocks or hyperstock... but we will talk about those later)

Anyway, getting started. The stock market is found here: http://www.neopets.c...ockmarket.phtml

Once there, you will want to go to Find Stocks . Here you will find a bunch of stuff. The logo, Ticker (short name), Company (long name), Volume (never knew what it was, isn't important), Open (how much the stock was worth at 12am NST), Curr (current value of stock), and change (change between open and current).

There are a lot of Companys! How do I know which one to buy?

Easy. Due to Neopets rules, you can only buy stocks that have a Curr of 15 or HIGHER. The higher the Curr is, the more NP you pay. So, in order to maximize profit, you will want to buy one at 15np a share.

Okay, I found a company, but how many do I buy and how do I buy?

To buy, click on the ticker name (the blue link) and it will take you to a screen with the logo, name, how much each share is worth, and a description of the company (which is just for fun). Click on the link (company name) and it will take you to another screen. Here, it asks for you to imput the NUMBER OF SHARES you wish to buy. The number you put here depends on how much you can afford. If you have NP to invest, you will want to buy 1000 SHARES. That's 15,000NP invested. Remember, you can only buy 1000 shares a day. If you go back the next day and the same company is at 15np a share, if you want, go ahead and buy more. The more NP invested in a single company will usually bring a bigger profit.

Now that you've bought some shares, go to your portfolio to check it out! http://www.neopets.c...?type=portfolio

Here, everything you've bought is listed in alphabetical order. There are some more things here to look at

Holdings with QTY (how many shares you have) and Paid (how much you have paid for the QTY). To the side of that, you have Market Value (the current value of the shares that you own of that company.) The change is the difference between the Paid and the Market Value.

Okay, I understand that, but how do I sell and when should I?

The BIGGEST mistake people make is to sell for a loss, or when the market value is less than that of what you paid. NEVER sell for a loss (unless you absolutly have to). Yes, stocks will go up and down, and it might seem like the stock will never go up, but it will. Remember, invest and leave alone smile.gif

When to sell: Say you bought 1000 shares at 15NP each. You invested 15,000NP. The stocks market valve goes up to 30NP a share. The lot is then worth 30,000NP. Happy with a 15k profit? Sell! If not, wait for it to go higher. It might go higher, it might not. Just watch it. Just remember, what goes up will come down. The market value is updated every 30 minutes.

How to sell: In your Portfolio, next to the symbol or icon, there is a GREY triangle. Click that, and a drop-down list will come up. It has all the information about that stock. On the far right there is a place to enter the number of shares to sell. If you want to sell 950 of the 1000 you have, enter 950 and hit enter. It charges you 20np to sell stocks.

What are those numbers on the bottom?

On the very bottom of your portfolio you will see your totals. They are the following (from left to right)

How many shares you have, how much you paid for them, how much they are all worth, and the change in the two. Pretty easy.

Simple enough? Seems like it. Now for two more things I didn't cover:

Hyperstocking. Hyperstocking is when you buy shares of a single company. You don't invest in any other company AT ALL. This takes LOTS of time, and with this, profits are hard to come by, but when one comes, its HUGE. (my biggest hyperstock was 15,000 shares)

Superstock. Superstocks aren't heard of often, but they are the ones that go from 15np a share to almost 50 if not higher in a single day. ANY stock is capable of doing this.

I hope my first guide helps people. If there are any questions about ANYTHING relating to stocks, just write a comment on here or PM me smile.gif Thanks!

#2 illicit

illicit
  • 915 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

Nice guide. An awesome addition would be a small list of stocks you suggest investing in. For instance, I've hear DROO is preety good.

And I believe the volume is the number of shares currently owned by different people. Could be wrong though.

#3 iNextGenWarrior

iNextGenWarrior
  • 1635 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

Great guide dude, thanks.

#4 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

Volume is the amount of shares that have been traded in a given day. Thats why all the stocks that are priced around 8 have no volume. People still own it, they just aren't trading it.

#5 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

For anyone who doubts the stock market is worth it.....

Just sold them tongue.gif

#6 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (redlion @ Jul 5 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Volume is the amount of shares that have been traded in a given day. Thats why all the stocks that are priced around 8 have no volume. People still own it, they just aren't trading it.

I see. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up smile.gif

Totals: 8,000 120,000 117,000 -2.50%

That's where I am right now. I HAD 293,000 shares (value at 4.6 million) then sold it so I could get Adam smile.gif

Edited by Frank80817, 05 July 2008 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users