Georgina's Proxy Guide!
Hi there! I know from my own personal experience that Proxys can be a daunting thing to try to learn, they seem/sound complicated and also messing around with your IP sounds risky. So to help clear up a few things heres a guide with most the things you'll need to know to get started.
First of all a proxy is just an IP address from another computer - IP stands for Internet Protocol.
IPs are basically like name tags, and are unique to your Internet connection. So no 2 IP addresses will be the same.
What's the benifit of using a Proxy?
To be honest theres lots of benefits it can give you but to summarize, It will stop Neopets detecting your own IP address and in the unfortunate event that you are froze you are still protected on your home IP.
The reason for this is because when ever you log on, or access a page TNT can see your IP address and see what you are doing. For example if you are using Abrosia on several different Neopets account TNT will see you logging in on several accounts and refreshing and all under one IP so obviously its going to look inhuman and your likely to be frozen - chain frozen.
So if you have multiple accounts, or even just a main and a illigit side account then its ideal that you can use and understand proxies as It will change your own IP and let you log into you other account(s) without them detecting your main and your original IP address and thus making it look like there are multiple people using the accounts from totally different computers.
Some other benefits include:
* To keep machines behind it anonymous.
* To speed up access to resources (using caching). Web proxies are commonly used to cache web pages from a web server
* To apply access policy to network services or content, e.g. to block undesired sites.
* To bypass security/ parental controls.
* To circumvent regional restrictions.
One thing you always need to remember is that using a proxy is never a guarantee that you still wont get frozen, if you still use the programs suspiciously then you can still get frozen! (but at least it means that your other accounts will be ok )
Types of Proxies
* Transparent Proxy - This type of proxy server identifies itself as a proxy server and also makes the original IP address available through the http headers. These are generally used for their ability to cache websites and do not effectively provide any anonymity to those who use them. However, the use of a transparent proxy will get you around simple IP bans. They are transparent in the terms that your IP address is exposed, not transparent in the terms that you do not know that you are using it (your system is not specifically configured to use it.)
* Anonymous Proxy - This type of proxy server identifies itself as a proxy server, but does not make the original IP address available. This type of proxy server is detectable, but provides reasonable anonymity for most users.
* Distorting Proxy - This type of proxy server identifies itself as a proxy server, but make an incorrect original IP address available through the http headers.
* High Anonymity Proxy (Elite) - This type of proxy server does not identify itself as a proxy server and does not make available the original IP address.
(types quoted from whatismyip.com)
Ok that may sound confusing to some people but basically if you want to use a proxy you need to use a High Anonymity Proxy, or Elite, as this is the only type of proxy that will completely hide your original details from TNT.
One thing to note; proxies will only work while that connection is open wherever it is in the world, so after some time you will probably need to change proxy.
Using Proxies with Abrosia
Its easy peasy!
BEFORE you log into your Neopets account, click on settings, then web settings, check the box and just enter the Proxy IP you have and test it to see how fast it is and if your happy, click ok and off you go!
http://checker.samair.ru/ (great for checking your anonymity)
www.bestproxyandvpn.com/control-panel.html (good site for buying elite proxies)
So good luck and I hope this helps!!!
Please feel free to ask me any questions
(guide by me - dont steal )
Edited by ShadowGirl64, 20 June 2011 - 07:25 AM.