Your takes on Global Warming?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#26 RKO

RKO
  • 590 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

there is no denying the facts, global warming is in affect and getting worse every decade.

#27 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

there is no denying the facts, global warming is in affect and getting worse every decade.

I'm quite sure that if there was no denying the facts, there would not be an argument on it.

I personally don't care. I think Engineers should be striving for efficiency with energy transfer regardless of if it's the 'green way'. I don't know, I don't recycle things, I use plastic shopping bags and I drive a car that gets 14 miles to the gallon. I could care less about what effect that has on the climate because to be honest, I'll probably be dead or on the moon by the time it means anything.

#28 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

So are you saying just before say the US decides to nuke Russia mother nature would create a huge tidal wave killing everyone?

haha, I forgot that I had posted in here so didn't see this post. Anyways..

No, I'm not saying it will happen before.. I mean would you shoot your dog before it attacks or after? (assuming there is no signs that its going to attack)
I'm not saying she has a set time, nor that it's actually accurate, it's just how I view things and how I think about it.

#29 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

I hate nature. I wish for deforestation and forest fires every time I get allergies.

#30 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

^This.

Also, to use small-scale examples such as comparing the weather today and the weather last year at the place you live isn't really a strong counterexample.

There's more than enough data to suggest that earth is getting warmer (minimally, though a trend has been noticed).

#31 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

^This.

Also, to use small-scale examples such as comparing the weather today and the weather last year at the place you live isn't really a strong counterexample.

There's more than enough data to suggest that earth is getting warmer (minimally, though a trend has been noticed).

It also could be the fact that Global Warming is cyclical. And to be honest, we're using small scale examples. How long has the Earth been around and how long have we as humans been able to gauge an accurate measure of what's needed to decide if global warming is happening?

For all the data that says global warming is happening, there's just as much saying you're all wrong. If there was more than enough data to support global warming in it's entirety, there wouldn't be arguments about it. Unfortunately, such is not the case.

For future reference, you should be careful when making absolute statements. Things such as the sky is blue should not be made just because you see it as such. Much like saying that there's more than enough evidence to support the validity of global warming when there's clearly not.

To give you kids a lesson, let me help explain some things for you.

People say that there's overwhelming evidence that humans are causing temperatures to rise. Unfortunately, such is not the case. We have not observed, personally, a change in climate. The only change we see is in our climate models.

People say that the arctic is warming up. The arctic warmed up in 1940 as well, they cooled down to be fine. The temperatures we have measured now have not reached the levels they did in 1940. I believe this to be a cyclical occurrence.

People say the see level is going to rise. It's been about 20,000 years and the sea level has risen about 400 feet. There's no scientific data to support that this 'global warming' has had any measurable change in slope to the change over time of sea level.

#32 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

I have noticed a change in my climate, the winters are colder (three snowstorms when one is normally amazing) and not as hot summers (except when I was prego but that was likely BECAUSE i was prego, after she was born it didn't seem too hot anymore). The lake temperature isn't as warm as it used to be, normally trees blooming takes at least two months here and after three days of nonstop rain all the trees were in full bloom. Normally I see tornado warnings in my area 3-8 times a year, last year i believe we had ONE. So I have noticed an iminate change since just about 2-3 years ago (last summer being 1 year ago).

#33 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

I have noticed a change in my climate, the winters are colder (three snowstorms when one is normally amazing) and not as hot summers (except when I was prego but that was likely BECAUSE i was prego, after she was born it didn't seem too hot anymore). The lake temperature isn't as warm as it used to be, normally trees blooming takes at least two months here and after three days of nonstop rain all the trees were in full bloom. Normally I see tornado warnings in my area 3-8 times a year, last year i believe we had ONE. So I have noticed an iminate change since just about 2-3 years ago (last summer being 1 year ago).

Unfortunately a personal opinion of one specific area without any scientific deduction hardly qualifies as a scientific observation. I'm not saying you're wrong, but essentially what we're basing global warming off of is a model that is more inaccurate than the changes in temperature we're seeing. Meaning that we may have a 2 degree increase in temperature +/- 3 degrees. We haven't scientifically observed any changes in climate that warrant 'global warming' and therefore cannot unequivocally state that there is reason for alarm.

#34 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

I find it annoying that teachers try to force global warming as a fact into the heads of students when its credibility is still heatedly debated.

#35 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

Schools are just a way for us to push our opinions on to others without having them questioned (generally).

#36 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

Unfortunately a personal opinion of one specific area without any scientific deduction hardly qualifies as a scientific observation. I'm not saying you're wrong, but essentially what we're basing global warming off of is a model that is more inaccurate than the changes in temperature we're seeing. Meaning that we may have a 2 degree increase in temperature +/- 3 degrees. We haven't scientifically observed any changes in climate that warrant 'global warming' and therefore cannot unequivocally state that there is reason for alarm.

Okay, the post right before mine sounded -to me- like no one has noticed any change in their climate, meaning all areas are experiencing the same weather. I sort of wanted to correct that. I dunno if we are currently experiencing global warming, but it's bound to happen. Maybe it's a 2k years cycle so.. who knows.. *shrug*

#37 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

Schools are just a way for us to push our opinions on to others without having them questioned (generally).

Very true. How are you going to challenge someone who decides your future?

#38 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

Very true. How are you going to challenge someone who decides your future?

Not gonna challenge my boss eitherĀ  :x3:

#39 GeorgeBright

GeorgeBright
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

Global warming is a myth.
Cows harm the atmosphere more than we do.

#40 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

Global warming is a myth.
Cows harm the atmosphere more than we do.

One time I decided to take some slightly flawed but plausible sounding logic to make the satirical claim that it would be good for the environment to switch from beef to veal.

Given:
Cows emit many greenhouse gasses in their lifetime
By allowing them to live to full size we are allowing them to emit a large amount of their greenhouse potential

Conclusion:
By shortening the cow's lifespan (by switching to veal), we can cut the amount of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere.

Please do not try to argue with my admittedly faulty claim. I already admitted up front that the logic was flawed but plausible sounding and that my claim was purely satirical.

Sometimes I enjoy using plausible sounding logic to affect the minds of those around me using the false authority that I have built up as a "smart person."

#41 ZaCkDiZzLe

ZaCkDiZzLe
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

One time I decided to take some slightly flawed but plausible sounding logic to make the satirical claim that it would be good for the environment to switch from beef to veal.

Given:
Cows emit many greenhouse gasses in their lifetime
By allowing them to live to full size we are allowing them to emit a large amount of their greenhouse potential

Conclusion:
By shortening the cow's lifespan (by switching to veal), we can cut the amount of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere.

Please do not try to argue with my admittedly faulty claim. I already admitted up front that the logic was flawed but plausible sounding and that my claim was purely satirical.

Sometimes I enjoy using plausible sounding logic to affect the minds of those around me using the false authority that I have built up as a "smart person."

You still holding that fucking joint? Pass that shit, dawg.

BTW we will already have wiped out our civilization before global warming kills the Earth and animals, so, fuck it.

#42 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Sometimes I enjoy something something

Sometimes I enjoy a tastey veal.

#43 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Humans are not entirely to blame, but then again we can't argue that our production of harmful gases to the atmosphere/ozone are good things. We are having an effect overall on the earth's temperature, but even though it's not super apparent right now it will eventually accumulate and become a problem.

#44 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

Humans are not entirely to blame, but then again we can't argue that our production of harmful gases to the atmosphere/ozone are good things. We are having an effect overall on the earth's temperature, but even though it's not super apparent right now it will eventually accumulate and become a problem.

WE DON'T KNOW IF WE HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE EARTH'S TEMPERATURE BECAUSE WE ONLY HAVE DATA THAT'S A COUPLE HUNDRED YEARS OLD AND THE EARTH IS MILLIONS OF YEARS OLD.

#45 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

WE DON'T KNOW IF WE HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE EARTH'S TEMPERATURE BECAUSE WE ONLY HAVE DATA THAT'S A COUPLE HUNDRED YEARS OLD AND THE EARTH IS MILLIONS OF YEARS OLD.

No we really don't know about EVERYTHING in the world at all points in time, but we can make educated inferences.

#46 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Global warming = Earth is getting sick, needs to take Pepto Bismol and a HUGE SHIT. aka Hurricanes, freezing/warm extreme weathers, Volcanoes erupting, your mom's tits etc.

#47 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

No we really don't know about EVERYTHING in the world at all points in time, but we can make educated inferences.

Educated inferences unfortunately are models that we make that are so inaccurate that the standard deviation lies outside of the climate change. I hardly consider that basis to say that Global Warming is happening. But on the other hand, we can't say that it isn't. It's more logical though to assume (in my opinion) that it isn't happening based on our lack of information of such, and the information that we can find about Earth's cyclical climate change.

#48 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

Educated inferences unfortunately are models that we make that are so inaccurate that the standard deviation lies outside of the climate change. I hardly consider that basis to say that Global Warming is happening. But on the other hand, we can't say that it isn't. It's more logical though to assume (in my opinion) that it isn't happening based on our lack of information of such, and the information that we can find about Earth's cyclical climate change.

True, but tbh, we simply cannot deny that since the Industrial Revolution we've been positively contributing to the Earth. Even though temperature changes are not incredibly apparent at the moment, it is obvious that we as humans have been impacting the Earth's climate, and we are causing it to rise, no matter how small the increment.

#49 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

True, but tbh, we simply cannot deny that since the Industrial Revolution we've been positively contributing to the Earth. Even though temperature changes are not incredibly apparent at the moment, it is obvious that we as humans have been impacting the Earth's climate, and we are causing it to rise, no matter how small the increment.

Temperature changes are not apparent at all. Based on our models, we cannot accurately say that we as humans have been impacting the Earth's climate. That is why we have so many arguments with Global Warming. If it was apparent, we wouldn't argue.

You have no idea of the millions of calculations involved in building a climate model. If we truly understood climate, we wouldn't be wrong with weather predictions. Unfortunately, since it still rains when we say it shouldn't, our models are clearly wrong.

#50 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

Temperature changes are not apparent at all. Based on our models, we cannot accurately say that we as humans have been impacting the Earth's climate. That is why we have so many arguments with Global Warming. If it was apparent, we wouldn't argue.

You have no idea of the millions of calculations involved in building a climate model. If we truly understood climate, we wouldn't be wrong with weather predictions. Unfortunately, since it still rains when we say it shouldn't, our models are clearly wrong.

Though our models are not always necessarily 100% correct, our current trend is no doubt one of rising climate. Rising climate, I might add, due to human consumption of fossil fuels and our constant releases of carbon dioxide gas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users