Quantcast

Photo

Which is worse: Alcohol, weed or cigarettes?

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#51 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

I believe that cigarettes are the worst, followed by alcohol and then marijuana.

All the propaganda put out by most of the governments retards our view on marijuana. It's not just government propaganda which retards our views on the drug but also those out there who are giving uneducated, illogical opinions for example; one member (not necessary to mention names) on this board has claimed that it's illegal because it cannot be taxed. I believe this to be utter bs. The Netherlands taxes the sale of marijuana quite effectively and has done so since the 70s while the cultivation of cannabis remains illegal. This is similar status to that of alcohol, particularly spirits, in Australia (not sure about the rest of the world). People over the age of 18 years of age are able to go into bottle shops and purchase alcohol, however if I went to produce say my own vodka Australia's laws forbid me to do so. Now this maybe because they can't tax alcohol you brew on your own but it is still very easy to get your hands on a distiller these days. The setup would cost a maximum of about $800 which is a lot less than the amount a average family may spend a year on alcohol in total yet they choose to buy their alcohol. Yes there are some who brew their own alcohol, I personally know about a dozen people who brew their own spirits. So they can infact tax the sale of marijuana so that is not the reason it's illegal, or if it is then it's an unsubstantiated claim and completely false.

Another thing I get sick and tired of hearing is that marijuana increases your risk for poor mental health. I know someone who believes this so much that he has nearly fought his own friends because they disagree with it (wanker? I believe so ;)) because his uncle has schizophrenia which the shrinks put down to marijuana usage. Marijuana usage may bring out existing mental health disorders but doesn't create them. Hence why a lot of doctors will stress that you don't smoke marijuana if your family has a past of mental illness, you may have under lying genetic anomalies which can lead to mental health disorders. If marijuana caused mental health issues then you'd expect countries like the Netherlands with a lenient policy on marijuana to have an increased number of mental health disorders. Is this what happens in actual fact? No.

Marijuana as a gateway drug? Get real. Marijuana is only a so-called gateway drug because it is a prohibited substance so obtaining it introduces you to the groups of people who are the real reason you will goto other drugs after smoking marijuana. I know many people who drink alcohol but cringe at weed because it's a prohibited substance. So if weed was no longer a prohibited substance they would no longer be introduced to these groups of people.

It's funny at the turn of the last century the cultivation of hemp (aka. marijuana) was a law. You could be jailed for NOT growing it just as today you can be jailed for possessing it. It is interest to note that the growing of hemp very much threatens the plastic fibers industry and is also a cheap course of oil (hemp oil). It's been stated before but I'll restate it - there are clinical studies outside the states that show marijuana compounds halt and even kill off tumors and cancers. The real reason for marijuanas prohibition status? Corporate interests. Humans are very greedy animals that have no care for the 'well-being of the tribe' however care the world for themselves.

Now for a personal story of speculation of the medical benefits of marijuana. I have a friend who is only 19 and has had troubles with tumors since he was young. He then started smoking weed and didn't have any tumors for the period of this time, the existing tumors shrunk and this shocked his doctors (it shocked them he got them int he first place but that's another matter) he has since stopped smoking marijuana for reasons which I won't go into and recently got some bad news, he's got another tumor. It's funny that he didn't get any tumors when he smoked weed (quite a lot too). This could be coincidence I am merely stating some interesting facts. This story does seem to be backed up by recent medical studies though.

Get educated guys!

#52 Powerrrr

Powerrrr
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:33 AM

They should just legalise weed. The war on drugs is costing billions in taxpayers money and putting innocence people into jail.

But I doubt that would happen, as long as the pharmaceutical companies pays off the government to not legalise it.

#53 Vivan

Vivan
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:42 AM

Cigarettes: Lung cancer etc., pollution, passive smoking hurting others, addictive
Alcohol: Doing stupid shit, binge culture, liver disease
Weed: I'm no expert but from what I've seen there is no hard evidence of it having any serious negative effects on health,

So I'd say

Weed is better than alcohol, which in turn is better than cigarettes.

#54 Anarki

Anarki
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:18 AM

This is hard to compare, weed is actually the worst I think, although usually its not a killer.

You see, cigarettes we see to do more damage, but take note, smokers usually smoke at least once or twice a day, some smoke like a pack or two a day even.

I don't assume people that smoke weed can get THAT much and smoke it every single day, since weed has nearly twice the chemicals and harmful effects as cigarettes do.

As for alcohol, same thing, 1 drink isn't dangerous, 10 drinks are, so this topic is very general.

So are we comparing the lasting effects overtime or just 1 of each?

Since 1 joint > 1 cigarette > 1 drink of alcohol

#55 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:21 AM

This is hard to compare, weed is actually the worst I think, although usually its not a killer.

You see, cigarettes we see to do more damage, but take note, smokers usually smoke at least once or twice a day, some smoke like a pack or two a day even.

I don't assume people that smoke weed can get THAT much and smoke it every single day, since weed has nearly twice the chemicals and harmful effects as cigarettes do.

As for alcohol, same thing, 1 drink isn't dangerous, 10 drinks are, so this topic is very general.

What happens if I vaporize? Say good-bye to the 'toxins' argument. Where would that put weed then?

#56 Anarchy

Anarchy
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

Weed is the worst?

Get the fuck off my name. The real Anarki smokes cannabis almost daily. Dumb as mother fucking kid. Stop being so ignorant to what chemicals are harmful and what are not. THC has killed no one. Alcohol and the chemicals in cigarettes NOT including tobacco kill hundreds of people daily.

#57 stellanox

stellanox
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Cigarettes because it affects everyone around you, especially your own family. Second hand smokers dies faster than the actual smoker himself. It's the one thing I cannot stand on anyone and definitely not my boyfriend :/

#58 Lebron

Lebron
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Cigarettes, smoking is disgusting. -__-

#59 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

What happens if I vaporize? Say good-bye to the 'toxins' argument. Where would that put weed then?

Since the only way you can get toxins from marijuana is through smoking there would be no toxins when you vaporize the weed or make it into brownies, firecrackers or space cakes. ;)It's funny how government propaganda has produced misconceptions about weed.

#60 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

Since the only way you can get toxins from marijuana is through smoking there would be no toxins when you vaporize the weed or make it into brownies, firecrackers or space cakes. ;)It's funny how government propaganda has produced misconceptions about weed.

Vaporization still produces toxins. True vaporization doesn't. However, you're not going to find a vaporizer that's going to heat it to the right temperature every single time. Meaning your vaporizer is not going to be completely free of toxins. The best method I've found is doing a carbon/butane extraction and isolating the excess in a chemical setting.

#61 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

Vaporization still produces toxins. True vaporization doesn't. However, you're not going to find a vaporizer that's going to heat it to the right temperature every single time. Meaning your vaporizer is not going to be completely free of toxins. The best method I've found is doing a carbon/butane extraction and isolating the excess in a chemical setting.

god damn..thats too much work..I just roll it up and smoke it =D...Gotta love vaporizers too...

#62 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

yeah, definately ciggaretes. darn those addictive bitches <_<

#63 Stephen

Stephen
  • 3527 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

Personally I feel that it is completely equal.

#64 Stryker11487

Stryker11487
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

Maybe I scanned through too quickly but you all brought up negative points about many many things how about the positives...

I have never done hard drugs but I have smoked a bowl or two in my lifetime, I do drink, and I love cigars... I believe that you're viewing the legalization of marijuana in the wrong way though... Legalizing it because it's not as harmful as cigarettes or alcohol is a poor argument... Well don't jump off the bridge jump off the house it's shorter... Well yeah but you could still break your leg... I mean smoking a bowl doesn't make you a better driver contrary to what you believe just like having 5 beers doesn't make you a better driver... My point is think about the money the government could make by regulating and taxing marijuana sales... Much like cigarettes it could be taxed and controlled in regards to production... I mean that is big money that could be going back in to the government to get rid of the excessively large debt we like to keep expanding on things we can't justify... Lol. I agree we're spending billions putting pot smokers behind bars and bringing them through court and it's a waste the effects are no better or worse for you than having several drinks... I'm not saying binge drinking I'm saying getting high is about as much fun as getting pretty buzzed or at least that's my take on it... I am not saying it's a safe drug I'm just saying there is money to be made in the legalization of it... I'd still control it in regards to quantity you could have on you and I'd still enforce DUIs... But hey that's just my two cents...

As for what's worse for you... Well it depends on quantity consumed of each item over how long a period of time... I love love love love love love love cigars... Absolutely love them best thing I ever tried... I will take a glass of crown and coke with a cigar any day of the week too... I love to have a couple drinks and relax... Not all the time but it's nice to do once or twice a week... Ohh maybe I'll splurge and do it 3 times... But I smoke cigars roughly mmm once a week or twice a week... I have a couple drinks a week usually twice a week I'll go out and relax... I used to smoke a bowl roughly once a month maybe twice... Honestly I do worse things in my life... I skydive, I race crotch rockets, and I free climb... Any one of those can kill me every time I do them... Smoking that cigar isn't putting me over any time soon :funone:

#65 Zacharus

Zacharus
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:45 AM

Agreed, i get really pissed when people smoke around me, especially if im in a non smoking zone. They dont seem to realise what they do to the rest, and theirselves. Also another thing is the fact that they tend to toss cigarettes on the floor, eventhough theres a trashcan right beside them... whats up with that? Its trash you know :p

Alcohol is also really bad though, but smoking seems to be done way more often per day. (with exeptions ofcourse.)

Me too especially in school toilets :p I feel like calling the DM to see them smoke so I can watch a free public canning show :D

#66 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:35 AM

I've seen reports where vaporization limits the toxins to a insignificant amounts. Vaporization may still produce toxins but not in the harmful ways that a lot of people attribute to marijuana smoking.

#67 Nuelcaz

Nuelcaz
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

Everything is bad but I think the worst is the cigarette after the alcohol and finally the weed.

#68 miih

miih
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

I think it's cigarette ... it is almost impossible to stop ...

#69 Nuelcaz

Nuelcaz
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

I think it's cigarette ... it is almost impossible to stop ...

if once you smoke and you can not stop.

#70 miih

miih
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:28 AM

must be horrible =/

#71 picole

picole
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

must be horrible =/

it is horrible, an aunt is trying to quit, but she said it can not

#72 neorockz

neorockz
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

yes its supposed to be extremely hard to quit even with the nicotine gum and stuff

#73 miih

miih
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

it's so sad =/

#74 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:14 AM

She doesnt want to enough then ^^ It basicly just takes willpower and discipline. I love it when smokers go like: yeah but I can stop whenever I want, im not addicted to it at all! And still they smoke their whole lives :)
My mom has quit several times, and actually managed to not smoke for years in between. But unfortunatly she always takes "just one" after being so long without.

#75 Korosuhito

Korosuhito
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:42 AM

I myself only ever drink alcohol - after watching a close friend die of lung cancer, I promised myself I'd never let myself or someone I love go through that pain and agony. Despite all the taboo, from the research I've done and the experiences friends who smoke weed have relayed to me, I genuinely believe weed is the lesser of the three evils - not that I smoke myself. NORML has some really interesting statistics on marijuana and the sort - thought (debate..?) provoking stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users