Photo

Quran Burning

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 sushiholic

sushiholic
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:51 AM

Who cares if it's legal? A pastor shouldn't be promoting this type of hate.

#27 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:40 AM

so yeah apparently if this burning goes through, its probably american soldiers in the middle east that are gonna pay the price

Well some people say those American soldiers shouldn't be there in the first place. But yeah, the target audience of the pastor is the extremist and I expect much propaganda over there about the issue.

#28 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

Well some people say those American soldiers shouldn't be there in the first place. But yeah, the target audience of the pastor is the extremist and I expect much propaganda over there about the issue.

yeah i agree that the soldiers shouldn't even be in the Iraq or Afghanistan, so spitting in the face of Islam doesn't really help their case. (in other news...http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/09/us-soldiers-afghan-civilians-fingers)

#29 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

They called it off.

/thread.

#30 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:54 PM

Since they called it off, we can discuss other forms of religious spectacles.

The Bible is Holy for Muslims. I'm sure there are Muslims who do, but they do it out of ignorance of the true teachings of their religion, just like this pastor.

To be sure, there are Moslems who burn bibles, but there are just as many who have burned edited Korans.

I understand it's because the words must be preserved exactly as they are, but the meanings of words change. That's one thing that Christianity has done fairly well - kept up with the times. You'll never see an English bible in anything more archaic than the King James, unless you're a scholar of such things. The language is different, but the story remains the same.

I know there are hadith and glossaries to explain difficult passages, which makes the topic largely moot, but why such violence against different versions of the same teachings?

#31 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:28 AM

The Bible is Holy for Muslims. I'm sure there are Muslims who do, but they do it out of ignorance of the true teachings of their religion, just like this pastor.

I've heard if a Muslim downloads a copy of the Qu'ran and then deletes it off his/her computer, they'll go to hell. True?

#32 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:43 AM

They called it off.

/thread.

the pastor changed his mind and postponed it

#33 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:48 AM

the pastor changed his mind and postponed it

Yep, I bet there was much...one sided negotiations. But if things don't go in his favor I bet he'll call for it again.

Update: Yep I knew it: http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-11265335

Edited by Faval, 10 September 2010 - 10:30 AM.

#34 Powerrrr

Powerrrr
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:59 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn...089842#39089842

#35 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

I recall Obama saying this will create more terrorists and some Afghani diplomat calling out for Muslims to kill American children. Just lolz to be honest. If they are offended by it then that is just displaying extremism.

#36 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:48 PM

I don't understand why you would call him a "dumbass", it really doesn't make you look to smart. He is dumb because he wants to do something he feels is right? It's a book, theres plenty more. I'm not going to criticize someone if they want to burn a bible, or call god a name.

#37 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

I don't understand why you would call him a "dumbass", it really doesn't make you look to smart. He is dumb because he wants to do something he feels is right? It's a book, theres plenty more. I'm not going to criticize someone if they want to burn a bible, or call god a name.

he planned on doing it to piss off the millions of muslims worldwide just to move a rec center farther away from ground zero. If thats not stupidity/ignorance than i dont know what is. By your logic terrorists (not saying muslims are terrorists) who kill civilians and think they're doing the right thing must be not be stupid either.

#38 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

He's a fucking dumbass because he's being a bigoted, intolerant racist.

Do you think what Hitler did is right? Because he thinks Jews are nasty, greedy big nosed trolls that deserve to burn?

Sometimes what we feel is right isn't the right thing.
So you're saying if I believed that stabbing a bunch of black people was what I felt was 'right', I can do it? You think that if someone felt that burning the precious American constitution and flag was right it was okay? Or burning down other buildings just because it's 'right' and it's their opinion?

It's not about being right. It's about respect. The man burning down the Qua'rans lives in America, which is a multicultural country. With that said, you kind of have to be TOLERANT and not RACIST about things, you know? You can't justify it just because "he was raised that way" ... I understand other cultures being intolerant (ie if you went to India or something) but if you're in America for fucks sakes, you should know better.

He does it not to state an opinion, but to piss off thousands of people, even millions. To provoke further fire that doesn't need to spread. If you believe that's right you're just as bigoted as the burner is.

#39 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

He's a fucking dumbass because he's being a bigoted, intolerant racist.

Do you think what Hitler did is right? Because he thinks Jews are nasty, greedy big nosed trolls that deserve to burn?

Sometimes what we feel is right isn't the right thing.
So you're saying if I believed that stabbing a bunch of black people was what I felt was 'right', I can do it? You think that if someone felt that burning the precious American constitution and flag was right it was okay? Or burning down other buildings just because it's 'right' and it's their opinion?

It's not about being right. It's about respect. The man burning down the Qua'rans lives in America, which is a multicultural country. With that said, you kind of have to be TOLERANT and not RACIST about things, you know? You can't justify it just because "he was raised that way" ... I understand other cultures being intolerant (ie if you went to India or something) but if you're in America for fucks sakes, you should know better.

He does it not to state an opinion, but to piss off thousands of people, even millions. To provoke further fire that doesn't need to spread. If you believe that's right you're just as bigoted as the burner is.

There is no link between racial predujice and and intellect. One is a social view and one is a form of cognitive ability. Also, if flag burning is acceptable, why isn't Qu'ran burning? Although that may be a cultural aspect as flag burning in most European countries is simply ignored and not a stigma like it is in America.

#40 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

He probably called him a dumb ass because of the international reaction that would probably follow.
But honestly yeah Frizzle, there shouldn't be a problem with it. Let him do what he wants. It doesn't and shouldn't affect us at all.

#41 Naded

Naded
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

This is pretty much my opinion on this subject. Its really worth watching :)

#42 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

lol saw it. if you disagree with something doesn't mean you have to burn it lol. but do whatever just dont compromise anyones safety.

#43 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

I know a lot of people don't agree with me but I see the book burning as a hate crime. They only did it to try to intimidate Muslim people in America, just like old fashioned cross burning. It was really disgusting of them to do that and get all the press coverage for spewing hate speech and misinformation.

#44 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

Oh im sure the burning was hate inspired. Good observation mishelle. I would like to classify it as that as well. The cross burning was a good example.

#45 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

I don't understand how people can say let him do what he likes and ignore it. Spreading hate affects all of us. Ignoring and allowing things like this will just give it an opportunity to escalate. Where do you draw the line?
How can we expect other countries to stop flag burning or disrespecting us when we can't do the same for them?
Just my two cents ..

#46 Naded

Naded
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

Yes but people seem to forget that the United-States is a free country. Lets say your neighbour lets his grass grow 4 feet tall when your trying to sell your house, he may be doing it on purpose so that you wont sell your house because visitors dont want a neighbour like that. Even so, being the douche that he is, is has all the right to be that way and you cant do anything to stop him.

This is in the same vein, you cant tell people what to do.

#47 togepi

togepi
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

This is why I'm not religious and don't really care what people do with their lives, as long as it doesn't directly harm me or my loved ones. The end.

#48 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:22 AM

#49 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:31 AM

Way to pointlessly repost a video.

#50 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

Way to pointlessly repost a video.

It happens to be my argument entirely. People here are saying the same thing as other people. Go bitch at them too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users