Photo

Shape Shifter Solver Released.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
102 replies to this topic

#76 sdijfsdkjf

sdijfsdkjf
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

I can imagine how great this program is but at the same time I cant enjoy it ! I'm one of those people who hate forums or any social activity that requires refreshing, I just want that trophy !

#77 ShapeshifterIsMyDrug

ShapeshifterIsMyDrug
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

We have released our newest program. A Shapeshifter Autosolver.

This is the fastest solver in existence, and will solve the first 20 levels in less then 20 minutes.

The program can be found here

I hope you enjoy!

Made in part by the Junior Programmer Kweh.

I knew it would happen one day, but I must bow my head in sadness now that ShapeShifter can be beat by anyone with little more effort than clicking the download button. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you beat a game after cycles and cycles of thinking, implementing, testing, repeating... using algorithms that you came up with on your own (I'm sure Kweh would agree). But, I digress... Get those posting stats up and I'll see you on the ShapeShifter high score board!

P.S. - I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind the whole posting number -> level cap transfer function in the first place.

#78 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

I knew it would happen one day, but I must bow my head in sadness now that ShapeShifter can be beat by anyone with little more effort than clicking the download button. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you beat a game after cycles and cycles of thinking, implementing, testing, repeating... using algorithms that you came up with on your own (I'm sure Kweh would agree). But, I digress... Get those posting stats up and I'll see you on the ShapeShifter high score board!

P.S. - I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind the whole posting number -> level cap transfer function in the first place.

Don't worry, not many people get to spend enough time here as to get that many posts, and even then, they would only have to get into the highscore board once.
I didn't liked the first time I knew that there existed score-senders and similar stuff to get into the highscores easily
Personally I prefer the post requirement than a money requirement, because if it were that way, more people would have acces to getting the trophie.

#79 esilim

esilim
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

Well, some of us have more money than time. If we had time, then we probably wouldn't be cheating at neopets just to save it!

#80 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

The point is exactly as you said.

This is the fastest ShapeShifter solver around. We cant let that power just go to anyone. Its guaranteed to get you something that few people get, you just gotta actually be part of the community.

We work hard, and the only thing we ask in return is that you post. :p

#81 ShapeshifterIsMyDrug

ShapeshifterIsMyDrug
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

The point is exactly as you said.

This is the fastest ShapeShifter solver around. We cant let that power just go to anyone. Its guaranteed to get you something that few people get, you just gotta actually be part of the community.

We work hard, and the only thing we ask in return is that you post. :p

Hmmm. Well, I think the "usage cap" is kind of silly; a bit of posturing if you may. But hey, them's the rules and if you want to play, you gotta' pay.

As for the claim that the program is the "fastest ShapeShifter solver around", how was this honor bestowed? I have followed the ShapeShifter scene for some time now and I have never heard of any public or private competition to determine or bestow the aforementioned title. Actually, an open competition might be a pretty cool thing to do. This merits some thought.

One thing for sure, solving the ShapeShifter puzzles each month takes dedication. Without dedication, the tedium of trying to find a solutions in a timely manner wears thin quickly. Most challengers who find themselves at lofty heights on the leader board only do it a few times at most as they find that the effort involved doesn't match the reward, especially if their goal is only to obtain the game trophy. So, it is nice that the non-programmers of the world have a shot at getting that trophy, but I really don't think it will have much of an effect on the game in the long run. It's just sad to me that they will never experience the true satisfaction of beating the game on their own. But then again, that's not really their goal...

For those going for the gold for the 1st time, you only have a 1-in-3 chance each month to get that trophy! To get it, you will need to be poised to solve level 100 at 12:00am on the 1st day of each month. The regulars usually hold off for two to three days just to give newcomers an opportunity to cash in, but don't wait too long or you'll be waiting another month for a shot at the prize. Good luck!

#82 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

As for the claim that the program is the "fastest ShapeShifter solver around", how was this honor bestowed? I have followed the ShapeShifter scene for some time now and I have never heard of any public or private competition to determine or bestow the aforementioned title. Actually, an open competition might be a pretty cool thing to do. This merits some thought.

If you can find a script/program faster than the script this program uses, feel free to prove us wrong.

#83 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hmmm. Well, I think the "usage cap" is kind of silly; a bit of posturing if you may. But hey, them's the rules and if you want to play, you gotta' pay.

And I spent months making the programs, and disagree.

#84 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

And I spent months making the programs, and disagree.

^^^ This. Totally agree with you Argue. You'd think people would be a bit more appreciative...

#85 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

There was a competition. That's how the logic engine driving the shapeshifter solver was developed ;)

It was released as open-source, so the logic engine was adapted for a simple click and start program for our community.

#86 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:12 AM

I got to use this for the first time the other day and have to say I like the limitation through posts. It seems very fitting to scale access to it.

#87 ShapeshifterIsMyDrug

ShapeshifterIsMyDrug
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

If you can find a script/program faster than the script this program uses, feel free to prove us wrong.

Well, therein lies the problem. Your program is the only program that I know of that is "publicly" available. Possibly it is the fastest "publicly" available solver in existence, but "fastest" would also imply that there were at least two other public candidates that have proven themselves unworthy of the title. It's kind of like participating in a 100-meter race where you are the only runner. Maybe you should just claim it as "a fast solver". I have no qualm with that claim, even without trying it.

I consistently see the names bcarol, mhale, ninensei, prebijoti, 3o1642, larvemoth, etc., at the top of the leader board each month. There have been many others over the years that also were consistently present in the top rankings every month, but have chosen to not play any more. I have talked to many of these people. While they are always willing to lend a helpful suggestion to those truly interested in solving the puzzle on their own, their algorithms and intrinsic efficiencies are held private. I'm not quite sure how you would go about comparing your public algorithm to their private ones outside the venue of a public competition. I am certain they would not be willing to join Neocodex and post a 1000 messages just to be able to run your program on their machine for a comparison, albeit I'm sure they would honestly tell you the results if they did. While I believe they would enjoy knowing if the countless hours of time they put into maximizing the efficiency of their engine makes it the best it can be, or knowing if their engine could use a bit more tweaking, their goal is not for the public acknowledgment of being the best, but rather the personal satisfaction of knowing that the choices they made where the right choices.

#88 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

Well, therein lies the problem. Your program is the only program that I know of that is "publicly" available. Possibly it is the fastest "publicly" available solver in existence, but "fastest" would also imply that there were at least two other public candidates that have proven themselves unworthy of the title. It's kind of like participating in a 100-meter race where you are the only runner.

That doesn't negate the claim though. :p If there is only one around then it is the fastest one around (it is also the slowest one around too).

#89 ShapeshifterIsMyDrug

ShapeshifterIsMyDrug
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

There was a competition. That's how the logic engine driving the shapeshifter solver was developed ;)

It was released as open-source, so the logic engine was adapted for a simple click and start program for our community.

Hmmm. Somehow I missed any knowledge of a competition. I have heard of some unpolished open-source stuff out there, but I've never seen it and I don't want to see it. It would defeat the purpose of my playing the game.

#90 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

Hmmm. Somehow I missed any knowledge of a competition. I have heard of some unpolished open-source stuff out there, but I've never seen it and I don't want to see it. It would defeat the purpose of my playing the game.

I really am not sure why you are at this site then.... All we do is provide programs that "defeat the purpose of playing the game" :|

#91 ShapeshifterIsMyDrug

ShapeshifterIsMyDrug
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

^^^ This. Totally agree with you Argue. You'd think people would be a bit more appreciative...

I'm confused. You don't think people appreciate iArgue for his effort, our you don't think people appreciate iArgue "enough" for his effort? I can't speak for iArgue, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would bet he writes these programs first and foremost because he likes to write these kind of programs and I don't think he would stop if people didn't appreciate his efforts: he might not be so willing to publicize them, but he wouldn't stop creating them.

Do I appreciate iArgue? I appreciate the fact that he enjoys creating programs to solve problems he deems worthy of his time and that he makes the results of his toils available to others that want to solve the same problems without the ability or desire to expend the effort. It doesn't sound to me like he is asking for or expects people to bow down to him as a god. I also don't think it is unreasonable for him to put a "usage" cap on the program. That's his call. I just said I thought the usage cap was silly, mainly because it doesn't really lead to a continuous influx of healthy, sustained dialog. He said he disagrees. That's fine. I have no problem with that and I respect his decision.

Edited by ShapeshifterIsMyDrug, 21 January 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#92 jaredennisclark

jaredennisclark
  • 838 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

I'm confused. You don't think people appreciate iArgue for his effort, our you don't think people appreciate iArgue "enough" for his effort? I can't speak for iArgue, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would bet he writes these programs first and foremost because he likes to write these kind of programs and I don't think he would stop if people didn't appreciate his efforts: he might not be so willing to publicize them, but he wouldn't stop creating them.

Do I appreciate iArgue? I appreciate the fact that he enjoys creating programs to solve problems he deems worthy of his time and that he makes the results of his toils available to others that want to solve the same problems without the ability or desire to expend the effort. It doesn't sound to me like he is asking for or expects people to bow down to him as a god. I also don't think it is unreasonable for him to put a "usage" cap on the program. That's his call. I just said I thought the usage cap was silly, mainly because it doesn't really lead to a continuous influx of healthy, sustained dialog. He said he disagrees. That's fine. I have no problem with that and I respect his decision.

Who the fuck are you? I'm LOL'ing hard at your posts.

#93 ShapeshifterIsMyDrug

ShapeshifterIsMyDrug
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

I really am not sure why you are at this site then.... All we do is provide programs that "defeat the purpose of playing the game" :|

Well, I don't plan on using the programs here [I might if the need comes up] and I'm not a member of the programing team, so you ask a good question. My first indication that Neocodex even existed was due to a web search the other day to see if anything new had happened in the world regarding ShapeShifter since the last time I searched (probably a year ago). I saw your release notice for the ShapeShifter solver and the imposed usage cap with the reasoning of boosting new community activity. Well, the ShapeShifter challenge is something that interests me very much, so I thought Neocodex would be a good place to visit and try to be positively involved in some of the discussions. Basically, I'm not here to take, but to give back.

Who the fuck are you? I'm LOL'ing hard at your posts.

Or maybe I was hired by the Neocodex team to provide local entertainment to its citizens. :thumbsup: I'm here to brighten you day! Now, where did I leave that bottle of lithium? Or were they mercury pills? I can't seem to remember...

Edited by ShapeshifterIsMyDrug, 21 January 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#94 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

Well, I don't plan on using the programs here [I might if the need comes up] and I'm not a member of the programing team, so you ask a good question. My first indication that Neocodex even existed was due to a web search the other day to see if anything new had happened in the world regarding ShapeShifter since the last time I searched (probably a year ago). I saw your release notice for the ShapeShifter solver and the imposed usage cap with the reasoning of boosting new community activity. Well, the ShapeShifter challenge is something that interests me very much, so I thought Neocodex would be a good place to visit and try to be positively involved in some of the discussions. Basically, I'm not here to take, but to give back.

That's pretty much how I found the open source logic.

Many users have come to the conclusion that Shapeshifter is, in essence, a programming competition.

I was reading the blog of someone who had started the challenge and was documenting their journey to 100. Somewhere along the way, they found the open source logic... it inspired them to continue their journey.

If you're really interested in the nuts and bolts of the logic, feel free to PM me and I can attempt to track down the logic again and link you to it :3

...When I found the logic, and it was open source, I saw an opportunity to bring Shapeshifter solving to the masses.

Since it IS such an elite group that consistently tops the leaderboards, we all came to the conclusion that it would probably be in everyone's best interest if the users that had access to go "all the way" was throttled... and as someone who is tackling it on your own, I'm sure you would agree.

Plus, as the only Neopets community with such a solver, we have yet another way for new people to find our site (which you have proven... did its job)

#95 jaredennisclark

jaredennisclark
  • 838 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Can anyone explain how you use the 'Manual' mode? It was asked twice so far with no responses, and I'm curious as well.

#96 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Can anyone explain how you use the 'Manual' mode? It was asked twice so far with no responses, and I'm curious as well.

Manual mode will give you the list of coordinates so you can solve the puzzle by hand. The only advantage is if you want to solve the puzzle later (like when high scores reset).

X-Axis: Starts at 0 and goes from left to right
Y-Axis: Starts at 0 and goes from top to bottom

#97 Vizkiu

Vizkiu
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:59 AM

Win the trophy? :innocent:

#98 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:01 AM

Win the trophy? :innocent:

Not with 50 posts.

See you in another 950.

#99 Vizkiu

Vizkiu
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:12 AM

Not with 50 posts.

See you in another 950.

What? I wondered if I could get the trophy with the Shape Shifter solver :p

#100 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

What? I wondered if I could get the trophy with the Shape Shifter solver :p

Yes, but you can only complete 1 level for every 10 posts you have, so to complete the game, you'll need 1000 posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users