Photo

Death Penalty new consideration?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#76 vurty

vurty
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Honestly i'd much rather be painlessly killed than sit in a cell for the rest of my life. As long as there are moral rules to how to kill someone via death penalty, i vote life in prison for people who commit a terrible crime.

#77 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

If it's 100% sure they killed someone, and it's 100% sure that the circumstances weren't acceptable, and they committed murder, it should be death penalty. A life for a life and all that. But if there's some doubt, jail forever.

#78 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

If it's 100% sure they killed someone, and it's 100% sure that the circumstances weren't acceptable, and they committed murder, it should be death penalty. A life for a life and all that. But if there's some doubt, jail forever.

There is no such thing as absolute certainty, but there is assurance sufficient for the purposes of human life - John Stuart Mill

People can get framed, videos can be faked, evidence can be planted, it is impossible to know with absolute certainty whether someone is a murderer or not, emphasis on absolute certainty.

#79 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

There is no such thing as absolute certainty, but there is assurance sufficient for the purposes of human life - John Stuart Mill

People can get framed, videos can be faked, evidence can be planted, it is impossible to know with absolute certainty whether someone is a murderer or not, emphasis on absolute certainty.

I think sometimes there can be... maybe... like with some of the college shooting sprees, it was clear who did it... except they suicided... sometimes.

#80 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

I think sometimes there can be... maybe... like with some of the college shooting sprees, it was clear who did it... except they suicided... sometimes.

Well, then there's a lot of contextual things you must consider

#81 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

Well, then there's a lot of contextual things you must consider

I agree, but sometimes, there is almost a 100% chance the killer did the crime. And I bet there would be a lot less murders/rapes/major crimes if everyone who committed them knew they might be killed themselves.

#82 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

I agree, but sometimes, there is almost a 100% chance the killer did the crime. And I bet there would be a lot less murders/rapes/major crimes if everyone who committed them knew they might be killed themselves.

How can you say somtimes and %100 of the time? Its either %100 of the time.... or its not.

#83 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

How can you say somtimes and %100 of the time? Its either %100 of the time.... or its not.

Almost 100%,.. because there's always a chance that it's a mega huge conspiracy, and everyone lied to protect the real killer... :p

#84 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

Almost 100%,.. because there's always a chance that it's a mega huge conspiracy, and everyone lied to protect the real killer... :p

Lol, okay that makes more sense.

#85 hawkeye28

hawkeye28
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

yeahi agree

#86 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Lol, okay that makes more sense.

There have been many documented cases of people being framed (here is one of many http://www.independe...son-604208.html), in this case the guy was innocent and still spent 25 years in jail. The law of parsimony applies to a lesser extent to law than to other areas. What I'm trying to say that absolute certainty does not always exist (source: Theory of Knowledge course).

#87 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

There have been many documented cases of people being framed (here is one of many http://www.independe...son-604208.html), in this case the guy was innocent and still spent 25 years in jail. The law of parsimony applies to a lesser extent to law than to other areas. What I'm trying to say that absolute certainty does not always exist (source: Theory of Knowledge course).

Hold up- I wasn't agreeing with their statement. I was trying to understand what they meant. What they said didn't make sense and I pretty much just asked them to clarify.

*I would use a Multi Quote here to show what im talking about... but I realized I have no idea how to use that button...its not like reply where I just click it. lol*

Edited by jsteinberg, 01 June 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#88 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Right, so I know Death Penalty isn't the best idea, but assuming you knew who did what, death penalty is the best option, unless you add in the question of innocence, which, in this case, destroys the whole case for Death Penalty. But what about spending forever in jail? Isn't that almost as bad as the death?

#89 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Right, so I know Death Penalty isn't the best idea, but assuming you knew who did what, death penalty is the best option, unless you add in the question of innocence, which, in this case, destroys the whole case for Death Penalty. But what about spending forever in jail? Isn't that almost as bad as the death?

Innocence and guilt is as i have stated earlier a whole 'nother debate. I still think that if you violate the rights of another individual you should have your own taken away (right to live) and be executed for your crimes (idgaf what method is used). It's not fair to the general public to let murderers live.

#90 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

Right, which is my argument. Like an eye for an eye, a ear for a ear? Something like that.

#91 buttcheeks

buttcheeks
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

its not as bad as death, but its worse for everyone else since they're paying to keep him alive in prison

#92 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yep. It'd definitely be a lot cheaper to use 1 9mm bullet per person. Also, why are there all these fancy death penalty methods? A bullet in the right place is painless, quick, and cheap.

#93 buttcheeks

buttcheeks
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

but its messy =o

#94 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:25 AM

Seems like a waste just killing them. Why not use them as cheap (read free) labour instead?

#95 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Seems like a waste just killing them. Why not use them as cheap (read free) labour instead?

Exactly what I was thinking, criminals could try to repay their debt to society before being killed off, however ethicsfags like amnesty international and the like are going to go apeshit.

#96 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Pros and cons to both sides.

Death penalty is completely fair to someone has murdered someone else, at the same time being in jail for life is more punishing, but also an expense to that country. I agree with the free labour as said above.

#97 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

but its messy =o

Nah. No more messier than an electric chair... and also, a $1 bullet is a lot cheaper than all those injected things. Cleanup... you can put his head in a bucket before you shoot.

And I thought prisoners already did labor?

#98 Seven

Seven
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, criminals could try to repay their debt to society before being killed off, however ethicsfags like amnesty international and the like are going to go apeshit.

I agree that criminals should be at least forced into doing something productive with their time so that they could at least minimize the costs of imprisonment. I mean, if taxpayer dollars go into it, then AI has little to argue for unless they can speak for society as a whole (which is paying for all this). But honestly, what else would they do if they weren't working to capacity?

#99 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

It doesn't make sense that normal people have to pay for what they do. So I think they should be put in a jail, and with only bread and water. Then, they can work, and "buy" better meals, with the profit going in aid tax money. Jail is a place to lock up those unfit to be with the rest of society... it shouldn't be a 5 star hotel.

#100 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

I only read the first page of this but this is one of my hot buttons so I have to say something.

Fuck criminals.

No, I'm not talking light crimes and yada but the ones that are more intense.

If you can't live by our laws, then you don't deserve to live. Fuck prisons. I don't care how often you get ass raped or if you say you've changed. The laws are pretty straight forward and I'm sure the majority of people know what the government frowns upon.

Prisoners get better care then our homeless Vets on the streets. That's not ok. We shouldn't be paying tax payer dollars for these people fucking up their lives. They're a burden to society and offer no merits for our betterment. Why the HELL are we keeping them around?

Screw humanists. I hate our justice system. :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users