• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Whoever did this graph thing is an idiot. I'm in Oklahoma and we say soda here. Colorado also says soda. The majority of people I know that say "coke" for everything are from retarded-ville, aka Texas.

You actually know people who call soda "coke"?
I have lived in Texas my entire life and I have never once heard someone refer to the general concept of soda merely as a "coke". 

#52 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:52 PM

I have lived in Texas my entire life and I have never once heard someone refer to the general concept of soda merely as a "coke". 

prbm pass me some coke please.

Posted Image

YOU DUMB BITCH. I WANTED SPRITE.

#53 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

I hear it everyday lol when I ask where they are from, it's the usual "best place on earth. Texas"

#54 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

Well, I'm not Texan and call it Coke. If they also call it coke, then I guess they got something going for them after all :D

#55 Sockoo

Sockoo
  • 506 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

i'm not from the US, but we usually call here in brazil refrigerant, by the away, here exists a mark called "Soda"
Posted Image

#56 ambersnow

ambersnow
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

Wow im in Yellow and i stand by it i guess. i dont really drink the stuff.

#57 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

I just realized the majority of "other"s probably call it Cola x3

So that brings the name tally up to 5:

Soda
Coke
Cola
Pop
Fizzy

(sorry for the necro but relevant info)

Edited by Nunc, 21 March 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#58 esilim

esilim
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Soda is the most precise language here
And I'm from Michigan
Everyone in Michigan calls it pop :)

#59 iceberg2477

iceberg2477
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

coke? really? ask for that in one of the yellow areas and you're likely to get drugs :p

and i'm not positive but back in the day of greasers, wasn't "pop" short for soda-pop?? whatever the case, it makes more sense to ask for a soda than coke or pop.. :/

Edited by iceberg2477, 21 March 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#60 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

Not on this map, that's where. :p

(Most people call it 'pop' in Alberta though, in case you're curious.)

OMG you're from Alberta????

I've called it pop all my life, and I'm from Alberta. In the place I live now, they call pop "soft drinks".. Yeah, totally weird. And I get blank stares if I ever ask for pop.

#61 dirigibleplum

dirigibleplum
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

^ I've lived in Alberta too haha, always called it pop! Sometimes I'll use the term 'soda' for people who look at me funny when I say pop. Do people actually use Coke as a general term for pop?? How did the vast industry of soft drinks fall under one name of a popular brand?

^ I've lived in Alberta too haha, always called it pop! Sometimes I'll use the term 'soda' for people who look at me funny when I say pop. Do people actually use Coke as a general term for pop?? How did the vast industry of soft drinks fall under one name of a popular brand?

#62 SailorMoon

SailorMoon
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

hmmmm~~~~

Japanese word for soft drink is 'cola'.... (it is a borrowed english word)... but when I have come to Canada I was very surprised of this new word 'pop'~~~ as Shadowlink says, this is what Canadians will say.

I assumed that this borrowed English word for soft drinks (cola) was what native English speakers will call soft drinks (cola)... I was wrong. (pop) ( ̄~ ̄;)

#63 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

I live in a dark red/maroon county. (Highest % Coke) Though I call it soda myself... everyone else around here calls it a coke.

p.s. I don't know why you all have so much of a problem with the 'coke' thing... If you are out eating, you'd just ask for a sprite or whatever you wanted to drink... it's very rare that you'd say a coke and they'd ask "what kind?"

People just say coke in the same way I would say soda... "I'm going to the vending machine to grab a coke... would you like one?" Similarly, you wouldn't go out to eat and tell your waitress you wanted a "soda" or a "pop" and expect her to know wtf you are talking about...

As to Mishelle... lol! I do say fountain drink if I'm at a place that you have to fill your own beverage... It is the most accurate term. :p

#64 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:28 AM

Grew up on the mississippi side of Missouri, where soda is soda god damn it.

Coke refers to a specific drink! >:|

#65 vurty

vurty
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

haha honestly i live in northern ohio...and even in southern ohio, as well as Pennsylvania they don't call it "pop" I only hear it called that locally. I personally just call it whatever it specifically is...dr pepper, pepsi, etc. But calling every type of soda "coke" is just dumb haha. I would get so confused if someone asked me for a coke and did not mean "coke"

#66 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

Some of you people appear to be completely ignorant of the manner in which it would be called 'a coke'. A lot of lower end dining establishments have fountain drinks in which you dispense yourself down here... so instead of telling someone you need a sprite, you would just say you want a coke. You would never tell a waitress I'd like a coke and actually mean you want a sprite...

It's the same as up north, if someone asked you what you wanted to drink and you said I'll have a 'pop' or a 'soda'. The terminology is only to be used in the case that it doesn't matter which brand you are going to have... For those of you having trouble with this concept, attempt to think of a situation when you would say "I'll have a soda/pop." and interchange "coke" with "soda/pop". You don't just say "soda" or "pop" unless you obviously don't need to give the specificity of your beverage of choice.

#67 vurty

vurty
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Some of you people appear to be completely ignorant of the manner in which it would be called 'a coke'. A lot of lower end dining establishments have fountain drinks in which you dispense yourself down here... so instead of telling someone you need a sprite, you would just say you want a coke. You would never tell a waitress I'd like a coke and actually mean you want a sprite...

It's the same as up north, if someone asked you what you wanted to drink and you said I'll have a 'pop' or a 'soda'. The terminology is only to be used in the case that it doesn't matter which brand you are going to have... For those of you having trouble with this concept, attempt to think of a situation when you would say "I'll have a soda/pop." and interchange "coke" with "soda/pop". You don't just say "soda" or "pop" unless you obviously don't need to give the specificity of your beverage of choice.

Thank you for clarifying :)

#68 ColonelHayden

ColonelHayden
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

To quote a prophet - or comedian, I get them confused often - "Dicks and vaginas are like Coke and Pepsi; I strongly prefer one but my dad thinks they taste the same."

What else is there to debate?

#69 Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

All my life I never knew there was a difference between pop and soda O_o I use those two words interchangeably lol. I learned something today

Edited by Formaldehyde, 27 March 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#70 Burd

Burd
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

I'm not on that map D:

But I've always called them soft drinks / fizzy drinks.
It might just be because I live under a rock, but, until I read this thread, I honestly had no idea that people called them 'pops'.

ehhh I knew about 'soda', though xD

Edited by Burd, 27 March 2011 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users