Photo

Java Idea

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

I need a simple game that has panels and layouts. I really cant think of one. I was thinking about space invaders of some sort, but it's too much work ~_~. can someone give me an idea?

Edited by donaldmax, 25 May 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#2 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:22 AM

USING CAPS IS WHAT THE COOL PEOPLE DO! WHAT ABOUT SNAKE, OR A CARD GAME.

#3 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

I need a simple game that has panels and layouts. I really cant think of one. I was thinking about space invaders of some sort, but it's too much work ~_~. can someone give me an idea?

I doubt anyone will be helping you out judging from the fact that you said "but it's too much work". Programming isn't just something you do in 10 minutes if you want to do it right. GTFO caps monster.

#4 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

i suggest you start working with java, and post your problems/doubts here and we will help you out

PD: an ide for java, called NetBeans, has a pretty easy to use framework..maybe try that?

#5 danielfromburn

danielfromburn
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:46 AM

Memory game.

#6 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:16 AM

He's probably finishing a computer class guys, be nice :p

Some programmers don't enjoy it :p

#7 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

He's probably finishing a computer class guys, be nice :p

Some programmers don't enjoy it :p

I was cool with helping; i personally hate java. I was just not too impressed with his all caps title. That was unnecessary. It also is nothing java specific, he just needs an idea.

#8 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

I was cool with helping; i personally hate java. I was just not too impressed with his all caps title. That was unnecessary. It also is nothing java specific, he just needs an idea.

I know you're cool with helping pyro, you were helpful when I was teaching myself the basics of Python a few months back. Came in handy to help my friends in their engineering classes at school :p

I also agree, all caps FTL.

#9 1337hunt3r

1337hunt3r
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

Java is amazing.
I'm actually working on a project right now, Touhou.
But if you want some ideas read this: http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

I loved my computer science class :] /sidenote

#11 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

Java is amazing.
I'm actually working on a project right now, Touhou.
But if you want some ideas read this: http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/

thank you! that was helpful. i think i know what to do now. and btw to guy up there, snake is too easy. i could literally code that in 30 minutes. thing is i needa make my game educational and have some trivia questions every so often so snake doesnt work.

#12 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

Wow... not even going to take the time to type out my name.

Fuck you.

#13 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

im sorry Posted Image

#14 danielfromburn

danielfromburn
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

so what idea are you using?

#15 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:01 AM

i just finished a project on a game called 1914 (similar to risk, but WWI oriented). It was pretty cool, and has some king of Artificial Intelligence going, but simple one.. maybe check that out? i did it in c++ tho

#16 1337hunt3r

1337hunt3r
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

If you still need an idea, you can always make a tower defense. There are varying degrees of complexity depending on what features you want to implement and I'm sure it uses plenty of panels and layouts.
It's definitely doable; I've played a couple TD's my friends have made.

Edited by 1337hunt3r, 13 May 2011 - 08:07 PM.

#17 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

I had to create an educational game in Java.. What's with these people asking for educational games?? I basically recreated Maths Nightmare (3 levels of complexity, 4 categories) without knowing it. I created an animated gif of a sheep jumping a fence, and also of flipping over and dying and spilling blood everywhere :| I needed to use threads to have a timer going as well. Some other ideas from the rest of my class were Hangman (guess it teaches you how to spell? No idea), identifying parts of the body, Jeopardy. Whatever, mine was demonstrated on Career Day at the univ, so it's a good idea :p

The Math game is pretty easy, and if you need to base it on theory, you can use Kumon math, and look for worksheets with questions you can use.

Also, don't use GridBagLayout. I used BorderLayout and FlowLayout the most.

#18 Eggy

Eggy
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user.

• 1783 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

Coding a version of Tetris is a cool weekend project :) not too hard in Python or Java

#19 1337hunt3r

1337hunt3r
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

I recently had the huge urge to make a side scrolling RPG (like Maplestory, sort of) but I can never finish my projects so I never decided to start.
You should make one so I can play it.

#20 Darkthrone

Darkthrone
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

I've just started with JAVA pretty much and I thought rather than starting a new thread I'd tag on someone elses. Basically I was wondering possibly the same as the OP here, does anybody have any basic JAVA programs they've written that they could send me? preferably with the code commented so I could just read over it a few times and get used to how the program/s are constructed and how they flow. PM me if anyone does :)

#21 sylphique

sylphique
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

I've just started with JAVA pretty much and I thought rather than starting a new thread I'd tag on someone elses. Basically I was wondering possibly the same as the OP here, does anybody have any basic JAVA programs they've written that they could send me? preferably with the code commented so I could just read over it a few times and get used to how the program/s are constructed and how they flow. PM me if anyone does :)

I don't have any completed code on me atm since I'm on a new laptop, but here's a link to the projects and homeworks I had in a class using java. I hope the skeleton and partially completed code can help you a bit until I get back on my desktop or someone else sends something along!

http://www.cs.berkel...b/hw/index.html

#22 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

i have the code for the program i did for my guide (check siggie). Its not complicated at all, but it isnt basic java.. if you are interested i can post it or pm it to you

#23 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

i have the code for the program i did for my guide (check siggie). Its not complicated at all, but it isnt basic java.. if you are interested i can post it or pm it to you

Honestly I dont understand why you would make a post about your program (unrelated to topic) that you did for your guide (unrelated to topic) and it ISNT in java (unrelated to a topic talking about java)

#24 Darkthrone

Darkthrone
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for that link sylphique that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for :)

#25 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

Honestly I dont understand why you would make a post about your program (unrelated to topic) that you did for your guide (unrelated to topic) and it ISNT in java (unrelated to a topic talking about java)

first of all, dark asked for a program in java. So, i think any program in java would do, so the program i did cualifies for that.. and I did do it java o-0 where did you get that i didnt? i said it wasnt basic, has some stuff to connect to webpages and that, but its java

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users