Photo

New members vs older members

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#101 Larry008

Larry008
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:04 AM

saying you don't need a middleman is like saying you don't need a condom (is this statement too inappropriate?) :p

#102 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:05 AM

It's not. We've never had any rules against grave digging, I believe.

Yes we have. We have had plenty of rules against grave digging.

Why would this topic exist if grave digging wasn't against the rules?

http://www.neocodex....ging-free-zone/

That would just make sl a retarded... I don't think he is a retard.

#103 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

'Gravedigging' is just a colloquialism, we've never had a specific rule against it. It falls under the general rules regarding spam.

#104 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:10 AM

Do you expect a new member to not only look at your posted forum rules but to do a word search for grave digging more commonly known as necroing in other forums?. I don't even have permission to view that thread so therefore if i were to be accused of "grave digging" i believe that i get to be pardoned in this case.

We don't even have an actual rule set anymore. We need to have one.

http://www.neocodex....nishment-guide/
^ this is your ruleset is it not?

Edited by frostz, 19 May 2011 - 03:12 AM.

#105 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:12 AM

'Gravedigging' is just a colloquialism, we've never had a specific rule against it. It falls under the general rules regarding spam.

Do you expect a new member to not only look at your posted forum rules but to do a word search for grave digging more commonly known as necroing in other forums?. I don't even have permission to view that thread so therefore if i were to be accused of "grave digging" i believe that i get to be pardoned in this case.

That post was 100% for laser. You shouldn't even be posting anymore. The staff need to work out a decent rule set so people like you can't just use loopholes and shit.

Seriously. You've gained like 20 posts from this topic a lone. And not even on topic either. This topic has nothing to do with spam.

#106 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:13 AM

Well yeah having some rules would probably be a good idea. :p I think most of our board guides are now 4-5 years old (some even from 2004) so a lot of them aren't going to even be relevant any more.

#107 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:35 AM

Well yeah having some rules would probably be a good idea. :p I think most of our board guides are now 4-5 years old (some even from 2004) so a lot of them aren't going to even be relevant any more.

It is way to hard to get the administrator around to actually set up a rule.

#108 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:34 AM

Laddida gains brownie points

and frostz, don't act like a martyr since you're "following the rules" and everyone here treats you like crap. You'll be gone in a few days when you get advanced, so why do you even care?

#109 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:50 AM

That could work actually. Enforcing that 1 month longevity requirement would also help....

That could work but I'm concerned people will just spam over the course of 3 days and duck out for a month. I recommend using a separate post counter for advanced, after a certain amount of posts per day it stops incrementing but that use will still be able to spam post as much as they want.

#110 GamerAsh

GamerAsh
  • 2350 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:18 AM

Most of them still are.

Haha, I'm still a tard. I made a rookie mistake today, announcing I put something on Trading Post. I forgot that this place was open to public, ha.

#111 Muffin

Muffin
  • 174 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

I'm quite confused as to how this topic turned out to be discussing spam but oh well. My insight into this is that what classes as spam should be completely at the discretion of admin and should be dealt with ONLY by the admins, and yes i do believe that admins do need to do more to combat this problem.

Everyone has the right to have an oppinion and to express it but i really don't see the need to create an argument out of an extremely valid announcement and to point fingers, i believe that if you have a problem with a specific user then a simple PM to an admin is sufficient instead of flaming, abuse and arguments. I have enough trust in the admins to know they will sort it. Call me a kiss ass, whatever you want but i believe i make a valid point.

Edited by Muffin, 19 May 2011 - 06:35 AM.

#112 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

It is way to hard to get the administrator around to actually set up a rule.

Hey, I'm back now and I am an admin. You didn't notice me posting in here?

That could work but I'm concerned people will just spam over the course of 3 days and duck out for a month. I recommend using a separate post counter for advanced, after a certain amount of posts per day it stops incrementing but that use will still be able to spam post as much as they want.

If they do that, we won't let them into advanced. :/ That's the beauty of it.

I recently added a couple things to the rules, so it's been patched up at best. We wanted to do a rule review but we all know how that turned out (ie. it didn't happen). It would also help if these rules were actually visible somewhere... people have a hard time finding them.

#113 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

I recently added a couple things to the rules, so it's been patched up at best. We wanted to do a rule review but we all know how that turned out (ie. it didn't happen). It would also help if these rules were actually visible somewhere... people have a hard time finding them.

We could probably do with cleaning out the Board Guides section and starting again from scratch.

#114 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

We could probably do with cleaning out the Board Guides section and starting again from scratch.

I have to agree. I'll work on that right now while Xcode for Mac is downloading. :p

#115 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Never in my life have I read such a cataclysmically boring thread.
I gave up after page three.

Shut the fuck up.

#116 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Never in my life have I read such a cataclysmically boring thread.
I gave up after page three.

Shut the fuck up.

I blame the Rapture for any cataclysm-like things that happen around now.

#117 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

I blame the Rapture for any cataclysm-like things that happen around now.

But the rapture wouldn't be cataclysmic, the world might have some peace for a while until we can come up with something new to fight over.

#118 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hey, I'm back now and I am an admin. You didn't notice me posting in here?

The report was in there for over a day, and no notes or anything. If you want us to give you notes, can you give me notes to?

When scammers or mas spamming is reported. I check the IP's and then check posts to see what I can see from there. For scamming, I let Laser deal with it, or the admins, as I cannot actually see the pm's between them. For Spammers, if its a new person that has like 20 posts pure spam or something, I flag them as a spammer and just leave it as that, if its someone else, then I go through their posts and look for spam, and then let someone else decide if its not obvious.

If its just a post reported as spam, I read it, if I agree I hide it. If I handle three reports from the same user, I go and reduce their post count. And then send them a warning message about their spam.

I usually only take care of the tiny things, and leave the rest to other people. It would be nice to be included whenever you are working on something, so I don't think you are busy with rl stuff and decide to do something on my own.

I also got on irc at least 20 times to discuss it with you, but you were no where to be see :|

#119 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

The report was in there for over a day, and no notes or anything. If you want us to give you notes, can you give me notes to?

Yes.

When scammers or mas spamming is reported. I check the IP's and then check posts to see what I can see from there. For scamming, I let Laser deal with it, or the admins, as I cannot actually see the pm's between them. For Spammers, if its a new person that has like 20 posts pure spam or something, I flag them as a spammer and just leave it as that, if its someone else, then I go through their posts and look for spam, and then let someone else decide if its not obvious.

If its just a post reported as spam, I read it, if I agree I hide it. If I handle three reports from the same user, I go and reduce their post count. And then send them a warning message about their spam.

I usually only take care of the tiny things, and leave the rest to other people. It would be nice to be included whenever you are working on something, so I don't think you are busy with rl stuff and decide to do something on my own.

This can probably be discussed via PM, but yeah, it's all good.

I also got on irc at least 20 times to discuss it with you, but you were no where to be see :|

I've been on IRC for 5 hours now. I never see you on, so it's definitely time conflicts or something.

But the rapture wouldn't be cataclysmic, the world might have some peace for a while until we can come up with something new to fight over.

I forgot that the rapture doesn't necessarily imply fire and brimstone. In fact, like you say, things might be better. :D

#120 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

TBH i dont think getting Advanced should be a review-like system, even if it is by the admins.
That would increase your workload and I'd much rather you put more time into making programs
(selfish, i know. sue me :p)

Advanced should be something that you can just get, but not through hitting 500 posts.
IMO the requirement to get Advanced should be a mix between post count and rep.

#121 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

It can be an either/or situation.

You're an advanced member if you have:
- 250 posts and 40 rep points OR
- 500 posts and 20 rep points OR
- 750 posts and 10 rep points OR
- 1000 posts

And let's be honest, codex is pretty loose when it comes to rep points.

#122 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

- 1000 posts

Okey doke. You code that up, and we'll roll it out by morning.

You? Self-involved? Never.

^_^

#123 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

- 1000 posts

But then all you're doing is prolonging my pain as you force people to post twice as much. And don't think they won't do it. They will. Oh they will...

#124 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

Loose enough that it's not a good way to use it for Advancement, I've gotten rep points for telling people to fuck off pretty much, and more or less I didn't even deserve the rep, but I got it anyways.

#125 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

But then all you're doing is prolonging my pain as you force people to post twice as much. And don't think they won't do it. They will. Oh they will...

Or... we could rep them to get rid of them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users