New members vs older members

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#76 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

I have a good idea, if the person is confident that their posts are high quality they can apply before the 1 month requirement, but if they're wrong, they'll get penalized further (having to get more posts before they can apply again) :p

So, just leave it to the discretion of staff? That could work, really. You need the support of a staff member to get advanced basically, and you may be subject to certain conditions if you don't satisfy the basic criteria. :p

#77 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:42 AM

So, just leave it to the discretion of staff? That could work, really. You need the support of a staff member to get advanced basically, and you may be subject to certain conditions if you don't satisfy the basic criteria. :p

I think this may reduce spam a lot, as there could be a section for this where people can see spammers getting their applications getting rejected, with staff citing 10 posts or so of examples of their spam (more could be cited if the member think it's unfair)

#78 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

I think this may reduce spam a lot, as there could be a section for this where people can see spammers getting their applications getting rejected, with staff citing 10 posts or so of examples of their spam (more could be cited if the member think it's unfair)

I have a good idea, if the person is confident that their posts are high quality they can apply before the 1 month requirement, but if they're wrong, they'll get penalized further (having to get more posts before they can apply again) :p

How are you going to define high quality posts? The idea of "high quality" is extremely subjective on an internet forum. For example what i thought was a high quality post was considered by some to be too long, even though it was highly relevant to this thread. Not only this but the more a person posts the more of what you define as "spam" racks up. I could probably find 10 examples of spam for anyone around 100 posts, and more the higher their post count is.

Why in this very thread certain individuals with extremely high post counts, had posts written in a way that could be considered spam when looked at in the way you guys define what spam is. Not only this but the topic that i started on about polytheism and the bible is filled with spam (posts not relating to the topic) and some by people with very high post counts.

So as you can see penalizing people for spamming 10 times (number is subjective to change) when applying for advanced membership would probably get the majority of people on this forum knocked off of their advanced member status right then and there if they had to reapply for their status. Ultimately for every few good posts a person has, they would probably have a bad quality post and maybe even a spam post.

It is the nature of how a forum board works

Edited by frostz, 19 May 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#79 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

How are you going to define high quality posts? The idea of "high quality" is extremely subjective on an internet forum. For example what i thought was a high quality post was considered by some to be too long, even though it was highly relevant to this thread. Not only this but the more a person posts the more of what you define as "spam" racks up. I could probably find 10 examples of spam for anyone around 100 posts, and more the higher their post count is.

Why in this very thread certain individuals with extremely high post counts, had posts written in a way that could be considered spam when looked at in the way you guys define what spam is. Not only this but the topic that i started on about polytheism and the bible is filled with spam (posts not relating to the topic) and some by people with very high post counts.

So as you can see penalizing people for spamming 10 times (number is subjective to change) when applying for advanced membership would probably get the majority of people on this forum knocked off of their advanced member status right then and there if they had to reapply for their status. Ultimately for every few good posts a person has, they would probably have a bad quality post and maybe even a spam post.

It is the nature of how a forum board works

The mods will use their discretion. If the person indicates that he/she is a leecher (not hard to detect), then I'm sure the mods would make a decision based on the motive of the person, along with the type of posts. If the majority are not deemed worthy (probably stuff that's already been said before and not encouraging discussion, or maybe they're just silly posts), the mods will probably deem that person unworthy of becoming Advanced.

I don't believe anyone who actually cares about Codex would have a problem with the beginning of the solution outlined by Shadow and Toxic. I sounds pretty good to me. Unless that person feels he/she won't get their Advanced application accepted.

#80 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:31 AM

There won't be penalties for spamming 10 times, those are just used as examples for people to see what they did wrong. And yes I know spam is subjective, but it is based on the staff's discretion and the people that were made staff are staff for good reason. If one would get to the point where one is are arguing whether almost all of their posts are spam or not then there is something wrong with that picture. It would be unfair as well to make advanced members reapply so I am sure that is not going to happen.

#81 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

The mods will use their discretion. If the person indicates that he/she is a leecher (not hard to detect), then I'm sure the mods would make a decision based on the motive of the person, along with the type of posts. If the majority are not deemed worthy (probably stuff that's already been said before and not encouraging discussion, or maybe they're just silly posts), the mods will probably deem that person unworthy of becoming Advanced.

I don't believe anyone who actually cares about Codex would have a problem with the beginning of the solution outlined by Shadow and Toxic. I sounds pretty good to me. Unless that person feels he/she won't get their Advanced application accepted.

Now, lets make sure that we separate motive from quality of posts. After all outside of word of mouth this site is advertised through its programs. I havn't posted here for 3 years tis true, (i have my reasons but i can post them if you want to hear it, but its not like what i think most of you are thinking) and i had forgotten i even had an account here until about a week ago while i was looking up the subject of neopets and autobuyers and found an advertisement by Neocodex on another forum. Many people would be here specifically for that autobuyer because it is the only reference to the site that they even find. You are going to have to take my word for this because i spent perhaps 2 days of website surfing before i even rediscovered reference to site buried deep in a forum post on another gaming forum. Those who are not here for the program are probably here to use the trading posts or to discuss neopets and probably found out about this site from another neopets community or through word of mouth.

The idea that you would deny someone access to the autobuyer because they want to use it is completely bewildering, because essentially you are saying we will only give you access to the autobuyer if thats not what you are here for. And if i don't autobuy, how would I even be here much less find a site in which the only visible advertisement for random people on the web is a forum post ad for its programs right?

Edited by frostz, 19 May 2011 - 01:42 AM.

#82 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:44 AM

The idea that you would deny someone access to the autobuyer because they want to use it is completely bewildering, because essentially you are saying we will only give you access to the autobuyer if thats not what we are here for. And if i don't autobuy, why would I even want i be here at a site in which the only visible advertisement for random people on the web is a banner for its programs right?

Access to Neocodex programs is not your God-given right. It's a right people earn. That's why there's a difference between Advanced Members and plain old Members. You are simply using a loophole to become eligible to use the program. I'm not sure why you're here if your sole intention is to get Abrosia. Don't expect to use other people's hard work for 'free', if you can't sacrifice $5 or a month or so of your time to contribute meaningfully to the community, you really don't deserve to use the community's resources. I would believe the programs are 'free' meaning it's not compulsory to have to pay actual money for them, not free in the sense that you can ungraciously take what you want and then leave. However, you seem to keep missing that point, as only you matter.

The mods will use their discretion, meaning that no matter how much you annoy the rest of the community, they still have to remain impartial and unbiased when judging whether you're deserving for Advanced. I honestly don't see what you can possibly find wrong with this. Many users would have banned you already in a heartbeat, but the fact that you're still around shows that we have fair mods worthy of respect.

#83 zandra

zandra
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:57 AM

Maybe we need to actually enforce the longevity requirement of 1 month then, along with the 500 posts. That way it does serve the purpose of keeping people around instead of encouraging a "post-fest" that people don't seem to like. It personally doesn't both me that people are completely selfish. I made some of these programs so people can use them (rather selfishly). The only reason we're restricting it is because it's quite a powerful program and if it gets overloaded with users, the profits will kind of suck.

I guess these kind of discussions are what change things for the better.

i agree on that. if the point of 500 post count is to make sure they contributed to the community. i am sure that the requirement of 1 month will further emphasize that. it will also prevent the post-fest and situation where people disappear after posting 500.

#84 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Access to Neocodex programs is not your God-given right. It's a right people earn. That's why there's a difference between Advanced Members and plain old Members. You are simply using a loophole to become eligible to use the program. I'm not sure why you're here if your sole intention is to get Abrosia. Don't expect to use other people's hard work for 'free', if you can't sacrifice $5 or a month or so of your time to contribute meaningfully to the community, you really don't deserve to use the community's resources. I would believe the programs are 'free' meaning it's not compulsory to have to pay actual money for them, not free in the sense that you can ungraciously take what you want and then leave. However, you seem to keep missing that point, as only you matter.

The mods will use their discretion, meaning that no matter how much you annoy the rest of the community, they still have to remain impartial and unbiased when judging whether you're deserving for Advanced. I honestly don't see what you can possibly find wrong with this. Many users would have banned you already in a heartbeat, but the fact that you're still around shows that we have fair mods worthy of respect.

If a mod does not follow their own forum guidelines that is what we refer to as corrupt, and having non-corrupt mods are a given in a forum that wants to maintain a respectable reputation. Hence the reason why these other users who would want to ban me are not forum mods. Since i have not broken any rules.

And i am in fact contributing meaningfully to the community, you simply put do not like my motive for posting. My posts are no better or worse than the posts of others in this forum.

Why am i here if my sole intention is to get abrosia? Because this is how the site is advertised, i along with i believe many others search for an autobuyer to use, follow the ads that we find on the internet leading to places such as this.

Access to abrosia is not a god given right, but it is a program advertised for the public for the public to use, after all as Shadowlink said below, restriction of the program is to protect the profits of the users. I am sure there are many before me who have truly spammed the boards in an attempt to reach 500 posts. But how many of them have actually spent the time to respond to those who launch accusations at them, to improve the quality of the posts after people complain? In all honesty i could probably have racked up 50 more posts in the time i spent replying to this thread. Let me ask you, why are you here? how did you find this website? And i want the truth not something along the lines of "i came here to become a respected member of the community" because if you say this, then you are gona have to tell me why you chose this site above all others. And secondly i notice you have a trader score if thats what i think it means, If you are here primarily for trading and don't autobuy or autobuy a little on the side, then why do you care so much about my motivations when they differ from yours so very much.

Maybe we need to actually enforce the longevity requirement of 1 month then, along with the 500 posts. That way it does serve the purpose of keeping people around instead of encouraging a "post-fest" that people don't seem to like. It personally doesn't both me that people are completely selfish. I made some of these programs so people can use them (rather selfishly). The only reason we're restricting it is because it's quite a powerful program and if it gets overloaded with users, the profits will kind of suck.

I guess these kind of discussions are what change things for the better.

Edited by frostz, 19 May 2011 - 01:59 AM.

#85 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

Let me ask you, why are you here? how did you find this website? And i want the truth not something along the lines of "i came here to become a respected member of the community" because if you say this, then you are gona have to tell me why you chose this site above all others. And secondly i notice you have a trader score if thats what i think it means, If you are here primarily for trading and don't autobuy or autobuy a little on the side, then why do you care so much about my motivations when they differ from yours so very much.

Now now, I wouldn't go about making assumptions, if I were you. Back in December, I was researching sLAUGHTER's scoresender (which is in no way affiliated with Codex), and I came across jcrboy's guide. After that, I came across their autoplayers. I do not, and will probably never use Abrosia (if you want to choose to disbelieve, go ask a mod if my IP address is appearing on their list of Abrosia users). I didn't know people traded outside Neopets, but after I came here, I was pleasantly surprised. Trading is not, and never was a primary aim of mine. So even though I have over 500 posts (meaningless to me since I don't AB), I'm still around. Why? Because I actually like Codex. I like the people, and I like the discussions. I like helping other users, and I like taking part in Neopets events with the people on Codex. So unlike you, I'm actually here for no ulterior motive. I would like to be a respected member of this community.

Your actions bother me because you are undermining the purpose of a community. I didn't care about your post count until it was brought up that you are only here to get Abrosia, and then to get out. Apparently, I found out today that leechers reduce profits that the other advanced members deserve to a greater respect, as they're not simply using Codex, and throwing it away.

#86 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

Why am i here if my sole intention is to get abrosia? Because this is how the site is advertised, i along with i believe many others search for an autobuyer to use, follow the ads that we find on the internet leading to places such as this.

Just to clarify something, most people who arrive here don't come for Abrosia, in fact over the past month Abrosia is only the 12th most popular Google search term which has brought people here. And in terms of referring sites only 1 of the top 100 referrals have been from advertisements on sites for Abrosia in the past month.

#87 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

Now now, I wouldn't go about making assumptions, if I were you. Back in December, I was researching sLAUGHTER's scoresender (which is in no way affiliated with Codex), and I came across jcrboy's guide. After that, I came across their autoplayers. I do not, and will probably never use Abrosia (if you want to choose to disbelieve, go ask a mod if my IP address is appearing on their list of Abrosia users). I didn't know people traded outside Neopets, but after I came here, I was pleasantly surprised. Trading is not, and never was a primary aim of mine. So even though I have over 500 posts (meaningless to me since I don't AB), I'm still around. Why? Because I actually like Codex. I like the people, and I like the discussions. I like helping other users, and I like taking part in Neopets events with the people on Codex. So unlike you, I'm actually here for no ulterior motive. I would like to be a respected member of this community.

Your actions bother me because you are undermining the purpose of a community. I didn't care about your post count until it was brought up that you are only here to get Abrosia, and then to get out. Apparently, I found out today that leechers reduce profits that the other advanced members deserve to a greater respect, as they're not simply using Codex, and throwing it away.

I won't make assumptions if you don't make assumptions about me. And many of your assumptions would be answered if you read my previous long post.

And your last sentence tells me you did not finish reading the first line of my previous posts in which i stated that this was my original purpose, but i am actually caring enough now to take part in the community. Which is exactly what i am doing at this very moment am i not? How much time do you think i've spent over the last day debating this issue between forum posters and the mods? If i didn't care at all i would have completely ignored this section of the forum after i got the "OK" you can post however many times you want from the mods.

and again if you think that i am in this thread to rack up posts you are wrong, because in the time i take to type on of these, i coulda done like four to five in another section.

Just to clarify something, most people who arrive here don't come for Abrosia, in fact over the past month Abrosia is only the 12th most popular Google search term which has brought people here. And in terms of referring sites only 1 of the top 100 referrals have been from advertisements on sites for Abrosia in the past month.

Again i stated before, for people like me who either have no knowledge of this site, or have just begun to search for a neopets autobuying site with little to no knowledge of the subject, this is most definitely not the case. How would i know to type in Abrosia, if i did not even know about it? Besides of the many neopets sites why would they choose to come here, surely its because there is something that attracts them to this forum, be it the autobuyer (in my case) or something else. Don't tell me that i must have known about this site because i was here three years ago, because i have not touched neopets at all for the entire time between then and now

Im sure one of your top search terms go along the lines of neopets trade forum, but i would not have found it that way since i have no intentions of trading at this time, since i own nothing on neopets atm.

Edited by frostz, 19 May 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#88 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

How much time do you think i've spent over the last day debating this issue between forum posters and the mods?

It's not much of a debate when you're only defending yourself from attacks, which is what was happening most of the time. On multiple occasions you have stated that you're only here for Abrosia, your actions have also indicated this as well. There's no reason for me to believe anything otherwise, as words are no guarantee of your actions, but your actions so far have spoken volumes.

#89 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

Again i stated before, for people like me who either have no knowledge of this site, or have just begun to search for a neopets autobuying site with little to no knowledge of the subject, this is most definitely not the case. How would i know to type in Abrosia, if i did not even know about it? Besides of the many neopets sites why would they choose to come here, surely its because there is something that attracts them to this forum, be it the autobuyer (in my case) or something else. Don't tell me that i must have known about this site because i was here three years ago, because i have not touched neopets at all for the entire time between then and now

I haven't said anything about yourself, I'm just stating the facts as shown by our site analytics. Those facts are that Abrosia (or any other autobuyer related search term) is nowhere near the main thing which brings people here either by search engine or referral from advertising sites.

Neopets trading brings even fewer people in than Abrosia too.

#90 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

It's not much of a debate when you're only defending yourself from attacks, which is what was happening most of the time. On multiple occasions you have stated that you're only here for Abrosia, your actions have also indicated this as well. There's no reason for me to believe anything otherwise, as words are no guarantee of your actions, but your actions so far have spoken volumes.

Then i ask you this, why would i state that i am only here for Abrosia, doing that would only weaken my argument.

I did it so that people cannot accuse me of this later on down the line, something they surely suspected but never mentioned.

I simply made it so that i did not have to defend against that which would make my entire standpoint a lie.

Edited by frostz, 19 May 2011 - 02:34 AM.

#91 giraffe

giraffe
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:33 AM

Then i ask you this, why would i state that i am only here for Abrosia, doing that would only weaken my argument.

I did it so that people cannot accuse me of this later on down the line, something they surely suspected but never mentioned.

I simply made it so that i did not have to defend against that which would make my entire standpoint a lie.

why would i even bother to defend myself if i am "technically" good to go in terms of the rules, if i didn't care what people here think about me.

Just because you're doing this in order not to lie doesn't make it a good argument.

And you'd defend yourself because you care what the MODS think of you. You're defending your post count so you can get the 500 limit ASAP. Don't try to beat around the bush about this now.

Edited by giraffe, 19 May 2011 - 02:36 AM.

#92 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

Just because you're desperate doesn't make it a good argument.

Or at least, just because you're doing this in order not to lie doesn't make it a good argument.

Desperate for what exactly?

why would i even bother to defend myself if i am "technically" good to go in terms of the rules, if i didn't care what people here think about me.

#93 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:38 AM

Desperate for what exactly?

The rules are about to be changed, so you will not be "good to go" in terms of the rules, so you do have to defend yourself.

#94 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:38 AM

Let's be clear here. It's not the just frequency of posts as much as the frequency and the content. Even when he got called out on his spamming yesterday, his only defense was repeating "other people are doing it too". A lot of members here are making an honest effort to do this despite not having anything to contribute. I see in the form of 4-5 posts a day, which I normally deem as spam but I'm willing to overlook because they are patient enough to do this over the course of a month. They could just as easily post 30 times or more in a day but don't to avoid stepping on any toes.

http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455422
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455408
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455431
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455504
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455519
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455395
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455390
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455402
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455403
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455412
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455415

See.... I reduced his post count. SL got pissed :(

Let us also be clear that the only part of the site with rules on quality of post is the debate section of the forum. However regardless my post is still in line with the rest of the posts on the thread.

For example lets say this post of mine

http://www.neocodex....s/page__st__250

I agree this post is weak but the content is comparable to 90% of the posts back 2 pages as far as i am bothering to check right now, since there was no actual debate going on, you dont actually expect me to post an analysis of some sort in answer to no one do u?

edit in response to you redit
im not gona go through all those links so i clicked on a random one

http://www.neocodex....19#entry1455519

A statement that answers the topic in the general entertainment section is a noob question? proof that you dont even read my posts or the topic

Both of your posts are considered spam. The fucking topic is SAINTS ROW TRAILER. What does reach have to do with anything? Yeah....

#95 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

The rules are about to be changed, so you will not be "good to go" in terms of the rules, so you do have to defend yourself.

If the rules are changed, i am confident that i am "good to go" because almost all of my posts do not break the rules, I do not flame people, any many of my posts ARE indeed constructive.

and motive would most likely not be taken into consideration anyway because as the admins have said selfishness or should i say the desire to use the programs is irrelevant.

I just want people to view me in a better light, because its been hostility after hostility thrown my way for the past few days.

See.... I reduced his post count. SL got pissed :(

Both of your posts are considered spam. The fucking topic is SAINTS ROW TRAILER. What does reach have to do with anything? Yeah....

Saints row trailer, my first post was my opinion of the trailer i said that it had no action and was all logo hence i did not like it. The second post was in response to the guy who said he liked Halo trailers, i said i liked blizzard trailers and thought they were good as well, In any forum the perpetuation of the direction in which a discussion is going is not spam

Besides i have like 300 something total posts, let the person who can boast to never have spammed a single time after posting this many times to come forth.

Edited by frostz, 19 May 2011 - 02:45 AM.

#96 giraffe

giraffe
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:47 AM

If the rules are changed, i am confident that i am "good to go" because almost all of my posts do not break the rules, I do not flame people, any many of my posts ARE indeed constructive.

and motive would most likely not be taken into consideration anyway because as the admins have said selfishness or should i say the desire to use the programs is irrelevant.

I just want people to view me in a better light, because its been hostility after hostility thrown my way for the past few days.

Saints row trailer, my first post was my opinion of the trailer i said that it had no action and was all logo hence i did not like it. The second post was in response to the guy who said he liked Halo trailers, i said i liked blizzard trailers and thought they were good as well, In any forum the perpetuation of the direction in which a discussion is going is not spam

Besides i have like 300 something total posts, let the person who can boast to never have spammed a single time after posting this many times to come forth.

Have people to view you in a better light < ≠ > Post a ton on the threads
Choose wisely

#97 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:48 AM

Did you honestly not expect that?

#98 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

Although I agree that this post is totally pointless and it considered spam by me. You cannot use the fact that it is an old thread in your argument becuase there are no rules against grave-digging in this forum.

Grave Digging is against the rules......

The main argument of most people is that i am posting for extra counts, this was in response to a general entertainment topic which does not in fact give me any counts. Secondly it was on the second page, so it does not constitute as necroing, The general entertainment section moves very slowly and almost every topic on the 2nd page is a month or 2 months old. I didn't go dig this up just because it was an easy response for easy counts

If a topic hasn't been posted in a week, why are you posting in it?

I didn't mean it that way; I meant more of a mod/admin checking their posts to see if they're completely useless/spam.

That could work actually. Enforcing that 1 month longevity requirement would also help....

That will not work. I looked through and invisibled a -lot- of frotz's posts for spam. Shadowlink64 got pissed at me for reducing his post count. If I think he was spamming, and SL thinks he wasn't spamming. Does it make any difference? With noit on the team... No one will ever be denied advanced.

Any discussion on what we do should be for staff only. Why are we discussing new rules with everyone else anyways?

#99 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:53 AM

Did you honestly not expect that?

Should i have? like i said my previous forum of choice was the world of warcraft forum, and i posted as many times as i wanted there. Posting at least when you post in a relevant manner continues thread conversation which is a good thing by most accounts. And as previously stated before by the admins there is no such thing as posting too much

i leave this here as precedence.
http://www.neocodex....duction__st__25

#100 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:54 AM

Grave Digging is against the rules......

It's not. We've never had any rules against grave digging, I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users