• This topic is locked This topic is locked
338 replies to this topic

#126 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

Whats wrong with voting?
Many countrys in the world elect leaders, thats going well i hear

Look. It's not going to work in a forum. Do you see other forums with a silly voting system? If this was a good idea, it would be implemented in lots of other sites as well.
Your voting on somebody you don't even know that well.
This system will lead to chaos. Rejected people will get kind of angry or frustrated. Loads of drama will come with this system.
This is my view on the system, but seeing how it will be implemented in the following days, my opinion is worthless. So I don't care what you guys think of me and my opinion.
Every system has flaws and it just can't be prevented. But this flaw, in my opinion, is too big.

#127 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

Look. It's not going to work in a forum. Do you see other forums with a silly voting system?

Every site I've been a significant member of has had a voting-based hierarchy.

#128 Charmender

Charmender
  • Awesome

• 4104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

Look. It's not going to work in a forum. Do you see other forums with a silly voting system? If this was a good idea, it would be implemented in lots of other sites as well.
Your voting on somebody you don't even know that well.
This system will lead to chaos. Rejected people will get kind of angry or frustrated. Loads of drama will come with this system.
This is my view on the system, but seeing how it will be implemented in the following days, my opinion is worthless. So I don't care what you guys think of me and my opinion.
Every system has flaws and it just can't be prevented. But this flaw, in my opinion, is too big.

This system was implemented on the site before, and it worked really well back then, but its better than having spamming.
Also i have been a member on many sites where voting was a big part of membership status

#129 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

This system was implemented on the site before, and it worked really well back then, but its better than having spamming.

Plus, the people that rage on rejection just mark themselves as wisely excluded.

#130 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

The voting based hierarchy isn't even popular and widely used. IMO , it does not suit this kind of forum where arguing happens all the time.

#131 Charmender

Charmender
  • Awesome

• 4104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Plus, the people that rage on rejection just mark themselves as wisely excluded.

Indeed, The more they rage, the more obvious it was they shouldn't have been voted in, no one wants a nerdrager.

The voting based hierarchy isn't even popular and widely used. IMO , it does not suit this kind of forum where arguing happens all the time.

If you don't like the voting system you don't have to use it, you can still use the subscription method.

#132 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Loads of drama will come with this system.

Lol, not like this thread isn't a perfect example of the drama that happens around here all too frequently anyway. Everything causes drama around here.

#133 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Arguing/debating is what spreads ideas and a way to solve problems by talking it through and bashing each other until something gets done. It just works.

#134 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

Lol, not like this thread isn't a perfect example of the drama that happens around here all too frequently anyway. Everything causes drama around here.

You want even more?

Every site I've been a significant member of has had a voting-based hierarchy.

The forums I've been to only had applications. Not voting.

#135 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

But in all honesty, who even gets promoted to Retired anymore? In the last, what, 6 months, there have been two new people in retired. Georgina and Punk.
I realize that you guys don't have official requirements for making people retired and you guys do specifically choose who gets to be in it, but it's not exactly a "community group" if it's basically unachievable since you guys want to make it so exclusive.

Retired is a place for people who have been here for ages, are quite trusted, are well liked by the older members and have (usually) made a significant impact in the community. It's supposed to be a rank that very few people achieve. I'd say that 3 people in the last 6 months is about the average rate that people have been getting Retired for the last 5 years or so. It's a smaller tight-nit community but it's far from unachievable and if you look at Punk/Georgie, they've been here for far less than the members the usually get voted in. If anything I'd say we're opening up.

Pyro's suggested system seems like a " I like that guy. lets vote for him! he shuld be advanced!!" " eww i don't like that guy" " he was mean to me" " he was nice to me". Surely you wouldn't want this kind of system imposed into neocodex.

We did have this system for private and still have it for retired. I'd say overall it worked really well. Only issues I remember was some leaking of the person's discussions and the way the poll was headed but it was still a good system

I can not say I could help much in the ways of guides or coding to be a helpful active member. So I am curious how this will effect a little member like me - As I would hardly win a popularity contest around here x). At least before I had the far-far-far-far-far-far off dream of one day hitting 500 posts :3

That's why I think there should be a paid rank separate from the rank gotten through voting. But judging from the quality of your posts I'm sure if you got your post per day above 0.04 you'd have no problem getting voted for advanced :p.

on one hand i totally agree with removing 500 post as a requirement.. and on the other hand.. i do hope this site still allows the paying option.. and with regards to the new system... without doubt.. you need to establish a minimum requirement for application to be advance member... (e.g. we can still implement like 500 post thing.. but you need to submit an application stating what are you're contributions etc to a staff member.. and if they failed their first application.. they can re-attempt it for another 3 months for example...)

Good idea. Maybe have a separate section for advanced applications and give voting rights to advanced+ and once a person gets 10 votes with at least 7 yes votes they get in? And then if they get in they get promoted (maybe we could even figure out a way to make them autopromoted) and if they don't get in the no voters can collectively list the reason(s) which get pmed to the person and they can reapply once they've addressed the problems?

Elitist attitudes tend to scare away quality posters because they don't want to deal with peoples pessimistic bullshit.

I completely disagree. Quality posters have been overall embraced by the older members I'd say. We're just nasty to the ones who don't make quality posts. And I think a lot of this has to do with the 500 post requirement increasing spam and I'd say our revitalization of our neopets community has naturally drawn in a lot of new members who are somewhat young/immature which puts us at odds with them

I think had there been an open discussion beforehand rather then all these ninja-changes without community input some drama could have been avoided

#136 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

You just don't like the fact that you've made enemies since you've been trolling the shit out of people for last two weeks, and you realize no one will approve you being an advanced member.

#137 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

The forums I've been to only had applications. Not voting.

What the fuck do you think they did with the applications?
Print them out and shred them for hamster bedding?

#138 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

You want even more?

No, I was just making a statement.

I think had there been an open discussion beforehand rather then all these ninja-changes without community input some drama could have been avoided

Agreed.

#139 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

I completely disagree. Quality posters have been overall embraced by the older members I'd say. We're just nasty to the ones who don't make quality posts.

I've seen the complete opposite

#140 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

You just don't like the fact that you've made enemies since you've been trolling the shit out of people for last two weeks, and you realize no one will approve you being an advanced member.

Dude. For the last time. I don't even troll. You obviously have never seen a real troll before. I realized I will never become an advanced member. I don't even use the programs here. I accept that because I don't care. This is exactly what I mean. You disregard my opinion on this system and you don't even consider it. Instead you bash on me for no reason. Once you hate somebody, you will always have the feeling of hate when you see them. And that is exactly what your doing to me. You hate me because you don't accept my honest opinion on a topic.

#141 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

I've seen the complete opposite

I've yet to see someone get bashed who didn't deserve it. Admittedly we complain a lot more about the shitty members then complement the better members but we're a grumpy bunch. I'd say there are a decent number of newer members who are on good terms with the older members. I think there's just a barrier between us non-neo players and the neo-players

#142 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

I've yet to see someone get bashed who didn't deserve it. Admittedly we complain a lot more about the shitty members then complement the better members but we're a grumpy bunch. I'd say there are a decent number of newer members who are on good terms with the older members. I think there's just a barrier between us non-neo players and the neo-players

To defend the retired members, MOST new members are pretty useless :/ Very clear about their intent to get advanced then GTFO

#143 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

I think the admins/mods should just make a poll and ask the forum whether or not they want to see this implemented.

Edited by Sodium, 07 July 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#144 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

I think the admins/mods should just make a poll and ask the forum whether or not they want to see this implemented.

I'm pretty sure most members wouldn't mind spamming to get to advanced. And they vastly outnumber of older members.

#145 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

My goodness, I leave for 5 hours and this happens? Why do I always miss out on the fun? It's not fair, I tell you! 1`

I think this is a good step in the right (obviously my opinion) direction. Pyro, I can see how your post could be misinterpreted, but I think your post did a good thing. It's opened up discussion with the public and what they want. It's great! Community input is never a bad thing :) I was never a big supporter of the 500 post requirement, but in the past I think it was really needed since we didn't have a pay system or any way for people to get to the next level the... "easy" way :p

I'm not really sure about demotions, to be honest. Just like private in the past, I don't feel that sort of thing should be taken away except for extreme circumstances. In the past that was up to the private leader and staff and I strongly feel it should remain the same due to the potential of a tar and feathering incident.

#146 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Or they could just make a decision which is what they're there to do.

#147 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Honestly, I think Zevrom deserves to be advanced. He was annoying, but at least he somewhat contributed. Same with Abradix.

I think Peonyourlawn and Umadbro shouldn't though.

I was just joking because I dislike zevrom :p and I really just want Abra to come back and post more LOL

and man this thread has gotten interesting..

#148 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

Or they could just make a decision which is what they're there to do.

yeah your right. my bad lol.

#149 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I've got it figured out:

We'll handle this like TNT would.

Make being advanced a random event. Perfect.

You forgot the part where they forget to enable it and it never comes

#150 Stunnerrunner

Stunnerrunner
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

I don't know if anyone would care at this point, but I have a suggestion. On Neopets, loyal users get perks the longer they are a member. Maybe something like this could work here. I mean, I know that you get to retired member status EVENTUALLY. But I was thinking something like, for every month you're signed up, you might get so many post count credits, like say maybe, 10. After 6 months, you might get a bonus 50 post credits, and maybe after a year, you would be automatically promoted to advanced member, provided you are active. You could still get to 500 posts by posting non-spam, but you have some extra motivation to keep at it.

Again, purely my opinion. Just wanted to put it out there.

Edited by Stunnerrunner, 07 July 2011 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users