338 replies to this topic

#176 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hi guys.

So most of you newer members won't know me, but once upon a time I was a staff member here. Among other responsibilities, I ran the section for Private Members, from which this new iteration of the 'Advanced' rank is borrowing liberally. I don't exactly know what Pyro and the admins are up to with this topic(thread, whatever), but quite a bit of discussion has gone on behind closed doors about the member ranks here at codex and somewhere a disjoint in communications has occurred. From where I'm standing, a leak like this before any plans have been finalized (or even beta'd!) is premature at best, and an attempt to sew discord at worst. Regardless, I'm going to proceed as though this topic had been done the way I wanted it done.

So, once upon a time our rank system looked like this:
Member > Private Member > Retired Member
Then we added Advanced to make it look like this:
Member > Advanced > Private Member > Retired
Then people (read:people that didn't get Private Membership) began an uproar that the private system was unfair because (they alleged) Private Members were holding back genuine applicants because it would increase the number of people with access to Private's programs. The irony was, many Private members became less and less enthralled with neopets, thus nulling the cheating advantage they gained by getting Private. So we changed the setup again, merging Private with Retired:
Member > Advanced > Retired
But now we're in this tight spot where we want to reward members for their hard work, but we can't give out Retired like candy either, so what do we do?

My solution, and a solution many of the older members (forum age wise, not biological age wise) of the site have voiced their support for, is to reinstate the Private rank. Trying to twist the Advanced rank into the position simply will not do. Advanced is a rank that exists solely to limit leechers and bots from abusing programs. Sorry, but that's what it is.

Private on the other hand, was the community within this community. Private members were some of the most active, most devoted members we've ever seen at this site. Not active because they had to be, active because they WANTED to be. That's the main difference I think. Private was a community of members that were friends first (some frenemies) and neopets cheaters second. Any team that we've had here at codex over the years, the GFX team, the Ezine teams, Contest and Finance teams, were all spawned out of Private. Every staff member here was Private first, then staff. Private was a way of recognizing potential, and a way of rewarding those that lived up to it. I don't want to see Advanced warped into a lookalike without any of that soul. Further, I see no need to do away with Advanced (maybe it's blatant post requirement though) because it still serves it's function. Change that 500 posts to 2ppd and you've fixed the problem in one fell swoop.

*sigh*

Regardless of what happens, or what the rank is called, I want every generation of people that find this site to have the opportunity to join private. I made lasting friends through the process, and I really got to know the people on the other side of the screen! Besides, a robot could get advanced; only a human with rational thoughts and at least some redeeming value could get voted into Private. Redeeming value optional.

#177 GarenaMaster

GarenaMaster
  • 346 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

awww thanks im going for 500 posts :D

#178 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

Change that 500 posts to 2ppd and you've fixed the problem in one fell swoop.

2 ppd? *confused* And thanks for the explanatory post, I'm too new to know that there was once Private member and all that jazz.

Posted Image

..did you even read the thread?

#179 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

2 ppd? *confused* And thanks for the explanatory post, I'm too new to know that there was once Private member and all that jazz.

Posted Image

..did you even read the thread?

ppd = Posts Per Day. The forum tracks this statistic already, so it'd be pretty easy (I imagine) to change it from 500 posts over any time period to 2posts a day for at least a month. That's only sixty posts. Good god, I broke 1000 posts before I applied to private, and that was within 3 months of joining. Just looking at these requirements makes me a little... sick.

#180 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

But he's still an active, contributing member, just like he promised

I learned in kindergarten never to break a promise

Yeah, he sure proved me wrong.

I still post several times every 2-5 days, where did i state that I would be posting 50 times a day every day. The amount i post is about in line with the average of other members on the board imo.

Also why would i feel inclined to post new topics when people like Boggart instantly "troll" me which i might add is obviously a breach of forum rules?

I think you have more problems with trolls than spammers (the definition of spam which i contend to being highly debatable since all of you are still throwing this word around to encompass anything you all dislike, regardless of what is written down in the rules of section) , i am saying this to you iargue, considering that every time you post i see Sweeney bashing whatever you say. Maybe you can understand what i am talking about.

I only made one promise that was fully specified, and i am currently 2/4 on that. I don't autobuy while in another country on a pseudo vacation obviously, otherwise i would have delivered already.

#181 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

... O.o ?

I still post several times every 2-5 days, where did i state that I would be posting 50 times a day every day. The amount i post is about in line with the average of other members on the board imo.

Also why would i feel inclined to post new topics when people like Boggart instantly "troll" me which i might add is obviously a breach of forum rules?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've been at ~540 for quite a while. And I"ve been slightly inactive on the boards for the past week and a half, so I would expect your post count to be ~575-600 if your statement were in fact true.

And don't blame your lack of posting on me "trolling" you. After you got 500 You posted for a week and disappearred. It's been a month or maybe even two and you've basically become inactive and now Scot, Waser and I are reiterating what we've known all along. So far you haven't proven us wrong.

#182 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

... O.o ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've been at ~540 for quite a while. And I"ve been slightly inactive on the boards for the past week and a half, so I would expect your post count to be ~575-600 if your statement were in fact true.

And don't blame your lack of posting on me "trolling" you. After you got 500 You posted for a week and disappearred. It's been a month or maybe even two and you've basically become inactive and now Scot, Waser and I are reiterating what we've known all along. So far you haven't proven us wrong.

wrong, check my post history, i am willing to bet my neocodex account that i did not disappear for a full month without posting.

#183 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

http://www.neocodex....d-subscription/

"I'm going to give back to this community using the advanced membership I spammed for"

~1.5 months later~

*cricket chirp*

#184 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

wrong, check my post history, i am willing to bet my neocodex account that i did not disappear for a full month without posting.

I didn't say you disappeared completely, but not as much as you "promised" to do so. *points at Scot's post*

#185 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

http://www.neocodex....d-subscription/

"I'm going to give back to this community using the advanced membership I spammed for"

~1.5 months later~

*cricket chirp*

which i stated above that i would give back, and am at 2mil/4 mil. But cannot autobuy since i am on a horrible laptop in a hotel in france with bad connection
more reading comprehension please

1 full month because ive been in preparation and on leave from the states for about a full month now + the time it takes to get used to new neopets economy.

I don't get back for another week or so, in any case. If an admin or a mod that doesnt have some kinda agenda against me wants to hold onto the neopoints i made so far as prepayment then i will be glad to hand it over.

Read post number 180 again. No editing on that post therefore you cannot accuse me of adding that in

Seriously though what makes you think i would spend time posting while on a 6000 dollar trip, when the last time i posted about what i was doing here, i got 3 pages of troll.

Edited by frostz, 09 July 2011 - 09:32 AM.

#186 zandra

zandra
  • 791 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

frankly speaking guys. i dont like frost much either but looking at the fact that he spotted this thread proven to me that he is still mildly active (still checks back now and then) i think it is still far better then those that went total mia. he could just choose to ignore and prob live with his advance membership. what are the chances that a demotion scheme will be out?

#187 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

which i stated above that i would give back, and am at 2mil/4 mil. But cannot autobuy since i am on a horrible laptop in a hotel in france with bad connection
more reading comprehension please

1 full month because ive been in preparation and on leave from the states for about a full month now + the time it takes to get used to new neopets economy.

I don't get back for another week or so, in any case. If an admin or a mod that doesnt have some kinda agenda against me wants to hold onto the neopoints i made so far as prepayment then i will be glad to hand it over.

Read post number 180 again. No editing on that post therefore you cannot accuse me of adding that in

Seriously though what makes you think i would spend time posting while on a 6000 dollar trip, when the last time i posted about what i was doing here, i got 3 pages of troll.

$6000 vacation

Can't afford $5 a month
Posts to tell others you can't spare vacation time posting

"frostzlogic"
~
Honestly what do you expect when you make promises and pretend they don't exist. So far all I see is more stalling but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt yet again.. What do you say we reconvene in another month?

#188 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

$6000 vacation

Can't afford $5 a month
Posts to tell others you can't spare vacation time posting

"frostzlogic"
~
Honestly what do you expect when you make promises and pretend they don't exist. So far all I see is more stalling but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt yet again.. What do you say we reconvene in another month?

i have no credit card. why do i have to repost everything, seriously you linked the page where i talked about why i was doing it.

And seriously, i am not even going to bother editing the blatant twisting by you of what im actually doing.

Edited by frostz, 09 July 2011 - 10:39 AM.

#189 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

i have no credit card. why do i have to repost everything, seriously you linked the page where i talked about why i was doing it.

And seriously, i am not even going to bother editing the blatant twisting by you of what im actually doing.

Honestly. How old are you.

#190 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

i have no credit card. why do i have to repost everything, seriously you linked the page where i talked about why i was doing it

Paypal does not require a credit card.

I think the broader issue here is that a lot of what you consider obstacles to you fulfilling your promises aren't actually obstacles at all. I mean scroll up where you cite the reason you don't have the np is because you are on a bad computer/connection, neither of which has any significant affect on abing results. No need to argue this further as I have extended your promise by another month and I eagerly await to be proven wrong.

frankly speaking guys. i dont like frost much either but looking at the fact that he spotted this thread proven to me that he is still mildly active (still checks back now and then) i think it is still far better then those that went total mia. he could just choose to ignore and prob live with his advance membership. what are the chances that a demotion scheme will be out?

He comes back to the scene of the crime to see if there's any chance he'll be demoted. Also he hasn't ironed out all the kinks if it's taken him 45 days to make 2 days worth of np. Most spammers do not want to leave on a negative note in case something breaks they will have to come back and non staff members won't help them. So in this sense if he has a problem he can say "please help me look I have 550 posts, see I didn't leave right at 500!!!1". I'm guessing once he nails abing down, he'll disappear for good.

Let's name some people who exhibit the same pattern of hardcore spamming, got called out on it and pretended to stick around for a week to prove they weren't spamming then left.

Juupon, 765 posts
Redemptionist, 627 post
Philj16, 703 post
That one guy who spammed almost all of his 500 in a religion topic and never came back

Seriously, these guys think they're original or something but anyone who's been here 6 months have seen it all.

#191 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

Paypal does not require a credit card.

I think the broader issue here is that a lot of what you consider obstacles to you fulfilling your promises aren't actually obstacles at all. I mean scroll up where you cite the reason you don't have the np is because you are on a bad computer/connection, neither of which has any significant affect on abing results. No need to argue this further as I have extended your promise by another month and I eagerly await to be proven wrong.

first of all my promise wasn't to you but to a certain mod, but i decided to make it public so that i could get a sponsor. Your "extensions" mean nothing to me because i will make good on my promise when i have the neopoints, and not before. If it makes you happy i will have a status update about the amount of neopets i have so far but that's the extent of my obligation to you.

And i suppose i could autobuy in france, i just choose not to because i don't want to be frozen on my account for some ridiculous reason that i don't know about. like suspicious IP activities or whatever.

Edit.
I don't care about the "kinks" I was seriously considering quitting neopets again if not for this previous obligation. To be honest i only wanted to use the program to see if i were still interested in neopets. and i got bored a few days into it.

I am more into rts games than browser games now which i think are quite boring anyway at this point.

So stop making assumptions about me.

Edited by frostz, 09 July 2011 - 11:00 AM.

#192 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

first of all my promise wasn't to you but to a certain mod, but i decided to make it public so that i could get a sponsor. Your "extensions" mean nothing to me because i will make good on my promise when i have the neopoints, and not before. If it makes you happy i will have a status update about the amount of neopets i have so far but that's the extent of my obligation to you.

And i suppose i could autobuy in france, i just choose not to because i don't want to be frozen on my account for some ridiculous reason that i don't know about. like suspicious IP activities or whatever.

Edit.
I don't care about the "kinks" I was seriously considering quitting neopets again if not for this previous obligation. To be honest i only wanted to use the program to see if i were still interested in neopets. and i got bored a few days into it.

I am more into rts games than browser games now which i think are quite boring anyway at this point.

So stop making assumptions about me.

So you wouldn't mind having your post count reset to 0?

#193 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

*cricket chirp*

#194 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

Juupon, 765 posts
Redemptionist, 627 post
Philj16, 703 post
That one guy who spammed almost all of his 500 in a religion topic and never came back

Seriously, these guys think they're original or something but anyone who's been here 6 months have seen it all.

Don't forget:

Peonyourlawn: 590
Whyumad: 580
xtoxic: 530
Ayoforyayo: 563
Mikes: 558
Generalgsus: 547

I could list more, but these are just off the top of my head.

#195 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Don't forget:

Peonyourlawn: 590
Whyumad: 580
xtoxic: 530
Ayoforyayo: 563
Mikes: 558
Generalgsus: 547

I could list more, but these are just off the top of my head.

Lol you weren't kidding when you said you have a whole list of names

#196 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Lol you weren't kidding when you said you have a whole list of names

I could get a whole whack of names really easily. All I'd have to do is search for everyone with posts 500 - 700 and over half of those people were just spammers.

#197 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

The benefit of a forum is that messages have longevity such that an addressee can return and reply at a later time.
Don't ever try to patronise me, please.

Ah, unless you meant that he was leaving so he reallyreallyhadtomakeaprematurepost.
To which I reply; for 48 hours? There's no need to get an announcement out before he goes somewhere.
Someone else could have made it perhaps. Possibly one of those admins we hear so much about.

Posted Image

#198 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

You ain't seen nothing.

#199 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

That guy was hilarious.

There was also that chick that kept creating hate topics against her just for publicity, she was a good one, too.

Wish I remembered her name off the top of my head.

#200 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

actually i would mind, i worked my ass off getting my posts.

My post count is a mark of achievement, whether or not i actually really care about playing neopets at this time.

I don't care if my post count were reduced if i had actually broken any rules that were in place at the time way back then. Obviously i wasn't because as stated so many times before intent of posting does not mean i am spamming so long as the post is actually relevant to the topic, but obviously this topic had already been beaten into the ground so if you want to argue about it just read the older posts.

However i do care if they were to be reduced for an arbitrary reason or random rule change that is implemented afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users