Photo

The Last Harry Potter Movie!!!111

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

I will just have rage because I hated Snape's 'redemption'. Everyone is all sobbing over some bullshit love story JRK pulled out of her ass at the last minute. Oh Snape's been a dick to you for the past 7 years, but now that you see he had a creepy lust for your mother, you name your KID after him? Fuck this bullshit.

ALWAYS!!!
*ten minutes later, can be found sobbing and hugging a Severus Snape action figure still in mint packaging while a baby cries in the background*

This is not true. Before they started to even film the first movie, J.K. Rowling told Alan Rickman of Snape's backstory to help him create the character. Hell, he still knows a thing or two we don't. It was not at the last minute. It was subtly, but definitely, strongly hinted at in each and every book in movie. It was definitely planned all the way. You just have to look the right way.

#27 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't feel a thing about the necklace when they were clearing out Grimmauld Place. And he had no idea that the diary was connected to Voldemort until the end. He didn't "sense" that the Hufflepuff's cup was a horcrux; he knew it was one because Dumbledore gave him the hint that Voldemort liked making priceless objects that belonged to the founder of Hogwarts into horcruxes.

...but you are definitely a bigger HP fan than I am. I wish I could go to that theme park. ;-;

The thing is, I think with the horcruxes, Harry was partially attuned to them, but only if he was really looking for them. It's kind of like when you loose your keys, when they're lost you've no idea where they are and try to desperately to find them but when they're not lost you simply don't even give it a second thought. The part from the book too where they find locket is very brief, it's only mentioned in passing. We as the readers are unaware as to if Harry did or did not feel something with it when they first had it.

The diary most definitely had an affect on Harry when it was in his possession, he was just unaware of how intense that connection really was. (Again, not looking for it, it won't seem as big of a deal)

As for the cup, Dumbledore and Harry had theorized in HBP that it was most definitely a horcrux. Dumbledore had the memory of Hepzibah Smith when she was visited by Tom when he was asking about both the locket and the cup. Harry had clearly seen it in the memory and knew exactly what it looked like when they were in the vault but I do believe he would've been able to find it otherwise. Knowing what something looks like is a lot more exact than simply feeling around for something; pretty sure if you have a flash light and it's dark you're going to use it instead of bumping around until you find what you want.

I love this post so much. It embodies everything I wanted to say but was too lazy to articulate.

By the way, how was the Pottermore preview? :o

Pottermore, is in every sense of the word, AMAZING. It's going to be total immersion in the books itself. If anyone would like to know more, PM me. I know what the site composes of, how it works, and I learned a BUNCH about Minerva McGonagall and the Hufflepuff common room. We were uh, kind of sworn to secrecy in a sense by the creators, which means we get to 100% be Beta testers. So I'm not about to go around blabbing info. ;)

Also, I would just like to add to the fact that people thinking J.K just randomly throws stuff into the books is laughable at best. This woman planned everything EXTREMELY carefully and exact. I can't even begin to tell you how she planned everything out because it's absolutely inspiring and baffling how it all connects. Again, PM me if you'd like to know more.

Edited by Narcissa, 20 July 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#28 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Also, I would just like to add to the fact that people thinking J.K just randomly throws stuff into the books is laughable at best.

Then laugh it up, I guess. I found the writing to be inconsistent, mind numbingly DULL and nearly unreadable at times. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, because whenever I let my feelings be known, people treat me like I have leprosy. Sweet Jesus help me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter. I've read all the books multiple times (except the last) and I'd seen all the movies, and I have a shitload of HP puzzles, action figures and lego sets. When I have a child I will name it Albus Severus. I spent years deep in the insanity that is the Harry Potter fandom drawing fanart, writing stupid poems, and I played a young Snape in a Marauder's Era rpg on greatestjournal. I used Trent Reznor pics for his avatars and made him a fancy green layout and everything. I dressed up as Bellatrix Lestrange at our local library's release party for the Deathly Hallows. I AM A SLYTHERIN FOR LIFE. But I'm not going to pretend JKR is a genius or the best writer on Earth just because I appreciated the hype and excitement that came with the series.

#29 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

Then laugh it up, I guess. I found the writing to be inconsistent, mind numbingly DULL and nearly unreadable at times. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, because whenever I let my feelings be known, people treat me like I have leprosy. Sweet Jesus help me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter. I've read all the books multiple times (except the last) and I'd seen all the movies, and I have a shitload of HP puzzles, action figures and lego sets. When I have a child I will name it Albus Severus. I spent years deep in the insanity that is the Harry Potter fandom drawing fanart, writing stupid poems, and I played a young Snape in a Marauder's Era rpg on greatestjournal. I used Trent Reznor pics for his avatars and made him a fancy green layout and everything. I dressed up as Bellatrix Lestrange at our local library's release party for the Deathly Hallows. I AM A SLYTHERIN FOR LIFE. But I'm not going to pretend JKR is a genius or the best writer on Earth just because I appreciated the hype and excitement that came with the series.

Hmm, mind numbingly dull, and unreadable? Sure you're not talking about Stephanie Meyer? Also, I in no way was picking you out of the crowd. There was no mention of you in my post, just people in general.

I mean, obviously this series DID have an affect on you if you did truly do all things you said you did; and it is because of the writing in those books. The reason there was so much hype and excitement was because this series was amazing writing. She did something nobody else has ever truly been able to do; she made children ask for books. And the reason for that is not because of all of the hype; all that came after the fact that people were starting to realize that children were sitting down and immersing themselves in something that didn't involve a screen. I feel sorry for you if you thought the writing was dull; you must have high expectations for everything in life and be disappointed a lot.

If the series didn't live up to your expectations then please, by all means, write something that even comes close as to what Jo did for our generation. Nobody in here is claiming that J.K is an absolute god at writing; we're not all that delusional, but her books are a saga that will continue to live on for many years to come. That in and of itself is a feat few writers can even hope to achieve.

By the way, the reason I said Jo planned everything, which she did, is because of the style of writing she chose to write in that subconsciously your brain picks up on and doesn't even realize that makes books flow well. Only, Jo amped up this style to an extent that nobody has ever even written in before. I suggest you look up Ring Composition within writing as well as books by John Granger as he much better explains it than any way I ever could. I can, without a doubt assure you that nothing was put into this series for no reason or out of nowhere.

#30 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

I feel sorry for you if you thought the writing was dull; you must have high expectations for everything in life and be disappointed a lot.

Thank you. All I want is a little sympathy. I really am disappointed a lot. That's why I'm so angry. :( I'm waiting for the day Lady Gaga does something I find unforgivable.
I was a fan of the story. I suffered through the writing for it, because I liked the characters. The way it ended did not live up to my expectations, and in retrospect I should have known it wouldn't have turned out well for me.

But I do like you, Narcissa. Let us embrace one another and forgive our differences.
Like so.
Posted Image

#31 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

Since you brought it up, it was really annoying how there were so many logic errors. It happened so often, and it just kept giving me pause

Warning, raving fan rant below!

Spoiler

I swear I saw a dementor that looked like black gauze tied around a balloon.

Based on what you have stated here. I don't think you've ever read the books. Only seen the movies.

The thing is, I think with the horcruxes, Harry was partially attuned to them, but only if he was really looking for them. It's kind of like when you loose your keys, when they're lost you've no idea where they are and try to desperately to find them but when they're not lost you simply don't even give it a second thought. The part from the book too where they find locket is very brief, it's only mentioned in passing. We as the readers are unaware as to if Harry did or did not feel something with it when they first had it.

The diary most definitely had an affect on Harry when it was in his possession, he was just unaware of how intense that connection really was. (Again, not looking for it, it won't seem as big of a deal)

As for the cup, Dumbledore and Harry had theorized in HBP that it was most definitely a horcrux. Dumbledore had the memory of Hepzibah Smith when she was visited by Tom when he was asking about both the locket and the cup. Harry had clearly seen it in the memory and knew exactly what it looked like when they were in the vault but I do believe he would've been able to find it otherwise. Knowing what something looks like is a lot more exact than simply feeling around for something; pretty sure if you have a flash light and it's dark you're going to use it instead of bumping around until you find what you want.

Pottermore, is in every sense of the word, AMAZING. It's going to be total immersion in the books itself. If anyone would like to know more, PM me. I know what the site composes of, how it works, and I learned a BUNCH about Minerva McGonagall and the Hufflepuff common room. We were uh, kind of sworn to secrecy in a sense by the creators, which means we get to 100% be Beta testers. So I'm not about to go around blabbing info. ;)

Also, I would just like to add to the fact that people thinking J.K just randomly throws stuff into the books is laughable at best. This woman planned everything EXTREMELY carefully and exact. I can't even begin to tell you how she planned everything out because it's absolutely inspiring and baffling how it all connects. Again, PM me if you'd like to know more.

I would like to state that this "sensing horcrux's" thing is 100% bullshit. It was added into the movie so they could add in scary whispery voices and make things more thrilling.

There is only one single plot twist that I can think of that is not covered. Dumbledore beat the "unbeatable" wand.

After watching the movie, here is my views

As a standalone movie, it was fairly well done in the eyes of normal audience viewers. Action scenes, great special effects, and all of that jazz. Compared to the books, the movie is completely 100% shit.

One of the greatest things about the Harry Potter series is that it makes you love the characters. As she devolops them and creates them, you begin to see them more as ordinary people shoved into a world of magic, then a group of people that are not human and instead mages. The movies absolutely lack any form of this whatsoever at all (Probably because the guy who plays harry potter is a shit actor). For instance, when he is walking into the room, and sees people he -loves- dead. He doesn't look sad, or upset, or anything. His voice is even and calm, and he walks around like normal. There are several scenes where shouting should have occurred (Like when hair tries to leave, and ron stops in from walking away. PLENTY of yelling in that scene, but none in that movie. He just says okay and heads back inside). Watching him makes me feel like he is a robot. He does a good job making you feel like you are watching a movie and submerges you, but while you watch... its like watching a machine do everything. He just walks around and fails to express any kind of emotion whatsoever at all. No matter how scary, or terrifying, or sad, or happy the scene is. He kinda just stands there like its an ordinary day.

I wish I could just make a "Harry Potter: The way it should be" set of movies that show the books in full, without leaving out hundreds of important plot things, or killing important scenes. I'm positive that harry potter fans would not mind having an 8 hour long movie to watch :p

#32 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

I have never seen a harry potter movie, or read a harry potter book

Fail or Win?

#33 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

There is only one single plot twist that I can think of that is not covered. Dumbledore beat the "unbeatable" wand.

Actually, in the books, it's explained that the elder wand switches allegiances when it senses someone more strong or more powerful then it's current master. Grindlewald probably went a bit to much over the edge for the wand so when it sensed Dumledore it gtfo.

I love wand lore and the way wands have their allegiances is actually really fascinating. The elder wand is the only wand that doesn't bind itself, so to speak, to its owner. It's power lies in the fact that it goes to whomever the stronger wizard or witch is. I'm actually really pissed as to how Harry broke the elder wand in the end of the movie. It totally fucked over the whole Deathly Hallows plot line. <_<

As to the scene in the movie with the resurrection stone, Harry knew he was going to die and was probably feeling pretty emotionless at that point in time. He knew he was going to go and die for the betterment of the world. I do agree with you though on the fact that Daniel is a piss poor actor who got lucky.

To me the movies are good for what they're worth; the majority of the characters were cast extremely well and I can only imagine that its quite hard to act out spells and magic and shit when 90% of the time its green screened. I will always love the books more than the movies as I grew up with Harry with the series, even until the end when I was only about a year or so older than him. I'm extremely close with this series because of how much it's been encompassed in my life. I would not be me without Harry Potter. I'm glad I had this series, it's infinitsmally better than my sister who's growing up with Twilight. No offense to anyone here but those books are shit in comparison to HP.

Thank you. All I want is a little sympathy. I really am disappointed a lot. That's why I'm so angry. :( I'm waiting for the day Lady Gaga does something I find unforgivable.
I was a fan of the story. I suffered through the writing for it, because I liked the characters. The way it ended did not live up to my expectations, and in retrospect I should have known it wouldn't have turned out well for me.

But I do like you, Narcissa. Let us embrace one another and forgive our differences.
Like so.
Posted Image

OH FUCK. NO UNCLE VOLDIE, NOOOOO! I just want to leave Hogwarts. ;_;

Edited by Narcissa, 21 July 2011 - 11:50 AM.

#34 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

Uh..Did anyone notice that Lily's eyes when she was a child were brown and when she grew up they suddenly became blue?
That freaked me out.A lot.

Edited by Maloo, 21 July 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#35 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Actually, in the books, it's explained that the elder wand switches allegiances when it senses someone more strong or more powerful then it's current master. Grindlewald probably went a bit to much over the edge for the wand so when it sensed Dumledore it gtfo.

I love wand lore and the way wands have their allegiances is actually really fascinating. The elder wand is the only wand that doesn't bind itself, so to speak, to its owner. It's power lies in the fact that it goes to whomever the stronger wizard or witch is. I'm actually really pissed as to how Harry broke the elder wand in the end of the movie. It totally fucked over the whole Deathly Hallows plot line. <_<

As to the scene in the movie with the resurrection stone, Harry knew he was going to die and was probably feeling pretty emotionless at that point in time. He knew he was going to go and die for the betterment of the world. I do agree with you though on the fact that Daniel is a piss poor actor who got lucky.

To me the movies are good for what they're worth; the majority of the characters were cast extremely well and I can only imagine that its quite hard to act out spells and magic and shit when 90% of the time its green screened. I will always love the books more than the movies as I grew up with Harry with the series, even until the end when I was only about a year or so older than him. I'm extremely close with this series because of how much it's been encompassed in my life. I would not be me without Harry Potter. I'm glad I had this series, it's infinitsmally better than my sister who's growing up with Twilight. No offense to anyone here but those books are shit in comparison to HP.

Seriously. YOU JUST SAW YOU MOTHER AND FATHER AGAIN. At least smile, or cry, or anything at all. But he kinda just stands there like, "Cool. Dead people are back"

And please, what book does it inform us that it switched to whoever it feels is stronger? I've read the book a hundred times and it says, "Whoever defeats the last owner". Because trust me, Draco is not stronger then Snape... but it went to Draco instead (Because he disarmed Dumbledore).

As for breaking the wand at the end of the movie. Best idea he has ever had. The wand only ever bring about one thing. Destruction. This wand is only passed around through the killing of the previous owner (At least, until Dumbledore changed that). Ever single previous owner was murdered for possession of that wand. Harry removed that temptation from the world. Which is a great thing. And by losing the Resurrection stone forever, he removed a temptation that even Dumbledore fell to (twice). The cloak is the only worthwhile or important hallow, as it is the only one not intended to kill or to bring back those killed. Its only intention is survival.

And other wands also will switch their allegiance upon being defeated. When harry used Hermione's wand when his was broken, it just felt weaker and pathetic, and yet Draco's wand actually behaved.

#36 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

Seriously. YOU JUST SAW YOU MOTHER AND FATHER AGAIN. At least smile, or cry, or anything at all. But he kinda just stands there like, "Cool. Dead people are back"

And please, what book does it inform us that it switched to whoever it feels is stronger? I've read the book a hundred times and it says, "Whoever defeats the last owner". Because trust me, Draco is not stronger then Snape... but it went to Draco instead (Because he disarmed Dumbledore).

As for breaking the wand at the end of the movie. Best idea he has ever had. The wand only ever bring about one thing. Destruction. This wand is only passed around through the killing of the previous owner (At least, until Dumbledore changed that). Ever single previous owner was murdered for possession of that wand. Harry removed that temptation from the world. Which is a great thing. And by losing the Resurrection stone forever, he removed a temptation that even Dumbledore fell to (twice). The cloak is the only worthwhile or important hallow, as it is the only one not intended to kill or to bring back those killed. Its only intention is survival.

And other wands also will switch their allegiance upon being defeated. When harry used Hermione's wand when his was broken, it just felt weaker and pathetic, and yet Draco's wand actually behaved.

"I was fit only to possess the meanest of them, the least extraordinary. I was fit to own the Elder Wand, and not to boast of it, and not to kill with it. I was permitted to tame and to use it, because I took it, not for gain, but to save others from it." -Albus Dumbledore

Dumbledore received the wand because he was going to use it for different means. Dumbledore also admitted to Harry while they were in Harry's limbo scene that he was a shade more skillful than that of Grindlewald.

"While it is stated that a wand will not give up its master so easily if it is attempted to be won, The Elder Wand seems to do this time and time again. However this might not be referring to its willingness to give up its master but rather to the amount of effort it took to defeat the weilder of the Wand. "

The Elder wand is the only wand that easily gives itself up to someone attempting to win it, intentionally or unintentionally.

Harry
: "I'm putting the Elder Wand back where it came from. It can stay there. If I die a natural death like Ignotus, its power will be broken, won't it? The previous master will never have been defeated. That'll be the end of it."
Ron
: "
Are you sure?"
Hermione
: "
I think Harry's right."

This is how the book truly ended. Harry didn't break the elder wand; he placed it within Dumbledore's tomb AFTER he fixed his own wand. In doing as such, when he dies, the power of the elder wand would die with him so long as he died a normal death.

Also, the wand is not won by killing it's owner. It's been won in several different ways; happenstance (Draco), dueling (Dumbledore), decit, stealth, or beating the current owner of the wand when the wand is not in their possession (Harry w/ Draco).

Also, to summarize everything I've said here and pretty much debunking all you've said, a quote from JK about the Elder wand.

"The Elder Wand is simply the most ruthless of wands in that it will only take into consideration strength. So one would expect a certain amount of loyalty from one's wand. So even if you were disarmed while carrying it, even if you lost a fight while carrying it, it has developed an affinity with you that it will not give up easily. If, however, a wand is won, properly won in an adult duel, then a wand may switch allegiance... However, the Elder Wand knows no loyalty except to strength. So it's completely unsentimental. It will only go where the power is. So if you win, then you've won the wand. So you don't need to kill with it. But...almost inevitably, it attracts wizards who are prepared to kill and who will kill. And also it attracts wizards like Voldemort who confuse being prepared to murder with strength."

Edited by Narcissa, 21 July 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#37 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:24 PM

Yay! I was looking for this thread!!

Ok after watching all the films within the last 7 days I finally felt prepared enough to see the final one! The film itself was great, right up untill that 19 years later crap. I mean seriously....ugh.....

Also after having a weird crush on Snape for the last 7 movies, this last film made me feel completely vindicated!

So if anyone has any snape porn please PM me.

Posted Image

Mmmmmm YEAH!

#38 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Yay! I was looking for this thread!!

Ok after watching all the films within the last 7 days I finally felt prepared enough to see the final one! The film itself was great, right up untill that 19 years later crap. I mean seriously....ugh.....

Also after having a weird crush on Snape for the last 7 movies, this last film made me feel completely vindicated!

So if anyone has any snape porn please PM me.

Posted Image

Mmmmmm YEAH!

THIS POST. THIS POST IS AMAZING. SNAPE. <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users