I LOVE DOCUMENTARIES !

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

I AM BACK. Cheers Toxic ! Alright. School's in session. And I'm here once again. Not playing neopets, but just to be in this forum because I remember it was fun and decent.
To an extent. ANYWAYS. I love documentaries as seen in the title. Documentary shows like Intervention, Heavy, Beyond Scared Straight.. Wild Life ( Lions, Tigers) there's probably more to list
but ANYTHING that's good to watch and in the end learn something also.

SO RECOMMEND ME SOME. Or just simply talk about documentary shows/movies !
If you recommend me a good documentary that has me interested and on my seat for full duration or something "life changing"-ish. +rep to you.

#2 sarcastiiclove

sarcastiiclove
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

There was a really good one on Netflix called "For the Bible Tells Me So..." and it's on organized religion using the Bible in incorrect ways to condemn homosexuality. It's really good if you're into gay rights!

#3 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Parking Lot Movie

Street Gangs of El Salvador (I could only find this one on youtube =/ )

#4 pezman

pezman
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

I'd like to add in "Parking Lot" is a GREAT one on Netflix, it sounds like it'd be lame but it isn't, and i really like the ones on Netflix by the history/discovery channel those are always good.

#5 chicityballa

chicityballa
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

how about a "mockumentary'? the office!!!

#6 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:42 AM

I highly recommend "Know Your Mushrooms." It's probably a good idea to see it while high, drunk, or on extremely little sleep. I did the latter and there's this little mushroom character that pops up between each chapter with random trivia and it had me rolling with laughter. Besides that, it's actually a very informative documentary on how we're getting completely ripped off purchasing any mushroom at the grocery store when we have an immense food source in our own backyards. Some mushrooms are poisonous, yes, but they're extremely rare. You can actually eat the majority of species and they're much better than the button variety we typically get.

Whenever I see it on, I also watch NOVA. Always good for a learning experience. Recently it was on cuddlefish and I fell in love with how intelligent they were. They've one upped the octopus in my eyes and that's difficult to do.

#7 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

will totally watch that tetiel! HOORAY MUSHROOMS!

#8 happyboyfarms

happyboyfarms
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Dirt! The Movie
Food Inc.
Flow For Love of Water

All good documentaries about the environment/food supply.

#9 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

I highly recommend "Know Your Mushrooms." It's probably a good idea to see it while high, drunk, or on extremely little sleep. I did the latter and there's this little mushroom character that pops up between each chapter with random trivia and it had me rolling with laughter. Besides that, it's actually a very informative documentary on how we're getting completely ripped off purchasing any mushroom at the grocery store when we have an immense food source in our own backyards. Some mushrooms are poisonous, yes, but they're extremely rare. You can actually eat the majority of species and they're much better than the button variety we typically get.

Whenever I see it on, I also watch NOVA. Always good for a learning experience. Recently it was on cuddlefish and I fell in love with how intelligent they were. They've one upped the octopus in my eyes and that's difficult to do.

cuttlefish*

Did you ever see that one nova doc on the string theory?

#10 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

cuttlefish*

Did you ever see that one nova doc on the string theory?

...DAMN! :( I forgot they were spelled that way. Perhaps I think they're cuddle-fish because they look a bit like face huggers... ^^;

And I may have. I've seen quite a few on string theory so probably. I wouldn't doubt that there's more than one!

#11 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

Inside Job would have to be my favorite documentary of the past year. Well edited, narrated by Matt Damon, and no contrived personal narratives.

#12 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

Me too!!!

Watch trouble the water if you havent already seen it. It's an incredible film. Probably one of the best documentaries i've ever watched.

#13 forgotten01

forgotten01
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

You should definitely check out some of Louis Theroux's stuff its hilarious and informative.

#14 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

Check out The Cove, Sharkwater and The Corporation. All good films that'll expand your knowledge about the world around you.

#15 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Troll Hunter
`- - - > it is awesome, you just need to watch it :: availible on NetFlix

Food Inc.
` - - - > one of my favorites

Vanishing of the Bees
` - - - > my boyfriend and i watched this a couple of days ago - it is really interesting and consolidated a lot of my food beliefs, nutritional ideals and plans for my future home :3

#16 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

...DAMN! :( I forgot they were spelled that way. Perhaps I think they're cuddle-fish because they look a bit like face huggers... ^^;

And I may have. I've seen quite a few on string theory so probably. I wouldn't doubt that there's more than one!

I think it was called "Our Elegant Universe" It was really interesting how they proposed there are 11 possible dimensions. They even suggested that the big bang could've been our universe colliding with another. Very mind blowing to say the least.

#17 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

Have you seen exit through the gift shop?

#18 gummis

gummis
  • 58 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:39 AM

I like all the documentaries that convince me that the FDA is trying to kill everyone! Polkadots already mentioned Food Inc., so I'll recommend Food Matters, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, Fathead, and I'll give Forks over Knives props for trying to scare everyone into veganism.

#19 Plunk

Plunk
  • Official Neocodex Dollface

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:15 AM

The Best Movie Ever Sold.

#20 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

Personal favorites:

Century of the Self
Discusses the manipulation of the people by corporations and governments.

The Awakening
Our existence is just a universal consciousness interacting with itself. We are required to understand this simple fact before humanity can hope to progress.

Aaaand the best of the best?

Zeitgeist: Moving Forward
Comparison of the unsustainable consumer-based economy which we live in now against a completely sustainable resource-based economy.

Edit: Created short descriptions since the still on Zeitgeist scared the shit out of me.

Edited by Abradix, 27 October 2011 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users