Quantcast

Photo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sannom

Sannom
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm not sure wether it's a noob question to ask such a thing because, frankly, I never got interested in getting these avatars.

What's the point in gathering them? Is there something I don't know, or is my lack of interest completely natural/normal? I mean, it's not for nothing there's tons of avatar threads out there!

So please explain to me what is drving you towards collecting these avatars, O mighty ones? And please tell me why I should be interested in collecting them, too D:

... No this isn't a troll thread I really want to know what's the buzz about. Sorry if someone already asked this before. >:

#2 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

I attribute it to mental illness.

#3 Foe

Foe
  • 168 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Because avatars allow people to show off there wealth/skills/dedication.

It also helps that some of them actually look good.

#4 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Thats like asking .. whats the point of doing anything on neopets? whats the point of training your pet? collecting trophies / stamps / pets ?
Its a hobby, keeps me occupied. I'm done with all item avvies as of sunday (got lent suap ^_~) so honestly now i'm just making new mains and starting over EKEKEKE.

but yeah, your answer: it's a hobby, neopoint waster, account worth increaser :)

#5 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Another useless thing to collect. GOTTA COLLECT 'EM ALL!

#6 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

I used to be an extreme avatar collector until I got to Sewage Surfer (I'm still on Level 49...) and I grew bored of the avatar-collecting business.
Still, it's a fun hobby and past-time on Neopets - just like some people write stories and create petpages for their pets, run guilds, or participate in the Battledome, others like to collect avatars.
Besides, having a high avatar count boosts your account points and value majorly, and you'll have something to boast about/be proud of.

#7 pezman

pezman
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

Keeps the game interesting I guess, even though I can't get almost all of the game ones, been trying for the bilge dice 10 game avatar haha.

#8 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

It also gives you a reason to explore areas of the site and functions that you wouldn't otherwise. Like pezman said, it keeps the game interesting. It gives you a goal to attain. Also, it increases your account's worth.

However, one thing I don't quite agree with is that avatar items that are very expensive can be lent to people so they can obtain the avatar. Someone worked hard to save up the billion NP it took to buy that SUAP, why should you get to borrow it from them for free just to get a new shiny avatar?

#9 Sannom

Sannom
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

Well, I suppose all the things on the internet have no value. It's all pixels and data, right? I guess this is why I only do the simple stuff ( and why I cheat, too, you know. To not waste too much of my time and energy to gather pixels and data. )

Maybe I already knew the answer to my questions after all...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, everyone!

#10 mrstollery

mrstollery
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

I'm not bothered by them currently, but, in time when I've done everything else there is to do, I may go for it...

#11 ShinaDutchAD

ShinaDutchAD
  • Banned from trading! Do not trade with this member!

• 532 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

I do it for something to do.

I'm not crazy about it though.....as in I won't go out of my way to get them all.

I'll just be like "Oh...this avatar looks nice. I should try to get it"

Or, if I'm looking to sell an account, I'll get enough to raise the account's "value"

#12 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Having a high avatar count also makes it easier to sell items. Don't know what it is, but people seem more trusting of those who have spent a lot of time collecting avatars and are more willing to deal with you.

when i judge a person's account, avatar count is one of the first (if not THE first) thing i look at.
idk, what else do people do on neopets.com other than avatars?

#13 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:18 AM

It's kind of entertaining. & what soul_sister said, when you have a high number of avatars it usually means that you spent a lot of time on neopets & working on your account (assuming you didn't cheat to get them) & people are generally more trustworthy of someone who put more time and effort into their account assuming that they won't want to put it in jeopardy.

#14 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Right on AyoforMayo.

HAHA!! My bad. I was about to go change it now that you pointed it out, but it's funny, so I'll leave it.
Posted Image

#15 scarbunnies

scarbunnies
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

I collect avatars to increase the value of my account.

#16 dreller120

dreller120
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:52 AM

'cause it's fun fun fun. We so so so excited.

#17 Kauvara

Kauvara
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

I collect everything there is to collect to keep from getting bored of Neo.....and to look at it all at the end of the day as something to be proud of.... xD Avatars, stamps, neodeck cards, NC, KQ Tokens blah blah blah..... I even have an item themed gallery. My account looks awesome. ;D

Edited by Jabberwock, 08 December 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#18 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

I used to be a huge avatar collector, but after two mains frozen with 260+ avatars I grew tired of it. lol

Now it's all about those trophies! 10 trophies on an account that has played 10 games shows dedication, control, and legitfulness.. I mean who wouldn't trust someone like that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users