Photo

Labtop advise??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 potwrugoin

potwrugoin
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:35 AM

im basically lookin to get a labtop which can do the basics like movies etc.. Maybe a bit of online gaming like warcraft...(maybe 512 mb dedicated)

I also play some poker online(multi-tablin), so would really like some advises...currently im more towards leanin Intel processors after bad exp with AMDprocessors like turion(god it kept shuttin down after gettin heated with alot of apps open even when i had 4 gb ram on XP.) so not so sure abt the latest AMD processors

Any thing to look out for guys?

Edited by potwrugoin, 02 November 2011 - 01:36 AM.

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

The only game I play is neopets but I would recommend gaming like that be done on a desktop.

Also I think it's a laptop not labtop :p

#3 potwrugoin

potwrugoin
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:21 AM

man, my bad lol.Posted Image

hmmm, i agree desktop would pack for bang for buck but im still pretty sure i wanna go with my intial decision.

#4 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

It totally depends on how good you want your gaming experience to be. Online poker etc won't be a problem. Are you happy to play WoW on the lowest settings as long as it runs fine? Do you want to run it on the very highest settings? How many programs will you be running at the same time? These things will change your laptop choice and of course, how much you spend.

#5 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

I dropped $400 on a crappy HP a couple years ago that ran WoW like a boss... Really don't need much at all.

As long as it doesn't have an on-board graphics card or something crazy like that you should be in the clear.

#6 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

Keep in mind ventilation if you plan on gaming on a laptop. Laptop heat makes you sterile. Gaming puts heat intensive components to work.

Other than that, I would recommend a desktop, more bang for your buck and quite honestly the only thing a laptop is good for is a mobile workstation, something I'm guessing you aren't too busy with if world of warcraft is a motivation for it. If you absolutely have to get a laptop, I would recommend anything except a mac.

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

Keep in mind ventilation if you plan on gaming on a laptop. Laptop heat makes you sterile. Gaming puts heat intensive components to work.

They're not too bad now with more modern components, I've got an i7 laptop which could probably be considered a gaming laptop and it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my old one did. I use a cooling pad anyway but that's more out of habit than necessity now, it never hurts to keep your system cool.

#8 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:59 AM

If you absolutely have to get a laptop, I would recommend anything except a mac.

I bought a MacBook Pro 5 years ago. Under a week after buying it, I dual-booted Windows.

#9 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:43 AM

Android tablets are more fun :p

#10 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

They're not too bad now with more modern components, I've got an i7 laptop which could probably be considered a gaming laptop and it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my old one did. I use a cooling pad anyway but that's more out of habit than necessity now, it never hurts to keep your system cool.

Gaming laptops usually cost a lot of money though. For example, I would expect an alienware laptop to be designed to vent excess heat because the components will obviously get hot and this forward thinking is reflected in the pricetag. My experience with your standard retail laptop though, is that it will overheat quickly and easily. And not many people realise the damage it can cause if it is in your lap most of the time.

I bought a MacBook Pro 5 years ago. Under a week after buying it, I dual-booted Windows.

I mainly see a lot of students using macbooks at my university, with absolutely no reason for paying an extra $1000 for a machine when all it's giving them over your standard run of the mill Dell/Acer/Toshiba/HP is a glowing apple. I have no issue with Mac OSX, for most non-gaming uses it's completely competitive with windows. The machines are just way more expensive than what the hardware inside offers.

#11 potwrugoin

potwrugoin
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

Basically, not lookin to play WOW... just needs to be able to withstand overheatin from multi-apps, play poker, and movies and run AB at da same time :D...lookin from the valuable information in the thread i guess Icore5 would suffice for me and i have like ard 1000-1200 to spend on a notebook.

and i agree that MAC is great on marketing and respect to Steve jobs for making it innovative and capitalizing on people idociy : P

#12 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

Agreed, I've grown be a Intel fan with their new processors. If you buy a laptop even with only the i3, World of Warcraft, streaming, and media playback will go off without a hitch. To the OP, any laptop going for $500 will fulfill your needs. May as well find one with a form factor and tactility you enjoy.

#13 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

If you're gonna drop money on a laptop, why not just get the best one out there? That's what a credit card is for haha, plus black friday is coming up... You can allow yourself to indulge Posted Image

#14 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

If you're gonna drop money on a laptop, why not just get the best one out there? That's what a credit card is for haha, plus black friday is coming up... You can allow yourself to indulge Posted Image

Opportunity costs. If you know what you want, why do more?

Also, a practical note: The "best" laptops (assuming you mean graphics processing), unless properly cared for, end up a paperweight in a solid two years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users