Photo

MegaUpload shut down

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#51 rhexis07

rhexis07
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

Yes, but (correct me if I'm mistaken) isn't it entirely legal to photocopy for educational purposes? The RIAA isn't educational, but copying a textbook to use in classes surely is.

I believe you can photocopy parts of textbooks, just not the entire textbook.

#52 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

I believe you can photocopy parts of textbooks, just not the entire textbook.

That's right. I can't remember if the exact figure is 5% or 10%, but a safe guideline is usually given as one chapter or article from a book.

#53 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

I feel like I just lost a family member :(

*mourns*

lol Megaupload

Mediafire Master Race here.

Psht. That is all.

Jcrboy had like 500+ dollars he could have redeemed. He is going to be so pissed when he finds out.

I assumed mega would always be there for me... *cries*

...and I needed that $500........ *cries harder*

The indictment charges the defendants with conspiring to launder money by paying users through the sites’ uploader reward program and paying companies to host the infringing content.

I'm worried that this means the government doesn't understand the concept of revenue sharing.

#54 GeorgeBright

GeorgeBright
  • 503 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

I'm happy about this.

#55 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:04 AM

Yes, but (correct me if I'm mistaken) isn't it entirely legal to photocopy for educational purposes? The RIAA isn't educational, but copying a textbook to use in classes surely is.

At my university the rules were:

• A chapter of a book, or 5% of a book, whichever is the longer
  • One complete article from a single issue of a journal
  • A maximum of ten pages of a poem, short story, or other short literary work, taken from a volume of short stories or poems
  • Up to 10% (maximum 20 pages) of a pamphlet, report or pamphlet
  • One separate illustration, diagram, photograph or map up to A4 size. However, if the illustrations form an integral part of an article or chapter, they may be included as part of that extract

Either way you're probably not going to get sent to prison for breaking the rules.

#56 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:27 AM

At my university the rules were:

• A chapter of a book, or 5% of a book, whichever is the longer
  • One complete article from a single issue of a journal
  • A maximum of ten pages of a poem, short story, or other short literary work, taken from a volume of short stories or poems
  • Up to 10% (maximum 20 pages) of a pamphlet, report or pamphlet
  • One separate illustration, diagram, photograph or map up to A4 size. However, if the illustrations form an integral part of an article or chapter, they may be included as part of that extract

Either way you're probably not going to get sent to prison for breaking the rules.

Who the fuck would even consider working that out when copying something Posted Image

#57 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

Who the fuck would even consider working that out when copying something Posted Image

I never did. :p

#58 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Just bought a 4 year membership like 2 weeks ago... Damn. :(

I think the is the largest issue with what is happening.

Megaupload, even if its just on the service, is a fileshare/backup provider. Their legitimate face, which was used, is to store files for people to retrieve from anywhere, and have access to as a backup. People did use this service (I have on many accounts).

Given that people did pay for this service, and they did use it, the government acted rashly, and probably illegally by shutting it down without any form of warning, or ability to recover lost files.

Even if 90% of megaupload was used for the purpose of copyright infringement. That still leaves at least a million people who now have no access to files in which they where legally guaranteed access to. By taking down the site immediately, and not providing any warning, or way of accessing these files, they have violated the rights of everyone using it for a legitimate purpose.

I, for one, am hoping to see a class action lawsuit against the government for removing those files without warning or ability to recover them.

#59 supertrap

supertrap
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

They made the mistake of using Servers in virgina.

Thats why the US can file the charges.

btw, we can hitler it and blame all this on the jews in the entertainment industry.

HOLOCAUSTnow

#60 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

They made the mistake of using Servers in virgina.

Thats why the US can file the charges.

btw, we can hitler it and blame all this on the jews in the entertainment industry.

HOLOCAUSTnow

Is that you, Mel Gibson?

#61 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Is that you, Mel Gibson?

He's not drunk, probably not him.

Then again, I'm drunk. Judgement probably impaired.

#62 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

He's not drunk, probably not him.

Then again, I'm drunk. Judgement probably impaired.

Just as long as you don't refer to anyone as 'sugartits' I think you're fine.

#63 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

Unfortunately they shut down megavideo, a sub-site of megaupload as well...

Where am i going to watch my movies now....? I actually used Megavideo quite a lot and am not sure what to replace it with now that it is gone

Edited by frostz, 21 January 2012 - 02:17 AM.

#64 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

Unfortunately they shut down megavideo, a sub-site of megaupload as well...

Where am i going to watch my movies now....? I actually used Megavideo quite a lot and am not sure what to replace it with now that it is gone

It was actually the same hosting system, not a sub-site. Obviously they'd go down together.

#65 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

Thank goodness all of the things I download get uploaded to Mediafire/other placesoh wait shit I just remembered, I still had to download a few things from MU :crybaby:
H-hopefully they're in other places as well...

But wow, that sucks D: I hope they come back sometime soon...

#66 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

I miss MegaUpload, I used to get 4-5MB/s download speeds from them*. :(

* On completely legal downloads, honest guv'nor (just in case anybody is watching).

#67 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

KimDotcom denied bail

Maybe if he hadn't tried to barricade himself in a safe, he might have been able to escape.

#68 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

KimDotcom denied bail

Maybe if he hadn't tried to barricade himself in a safe, he might have been able to escape.

76 armed police + helicopters seems a bit excessive. :p I wonder how long it'll be until somebody plans to make a film about the whole Megaupload story.

#69 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

It is quite possible this can happen.

#70 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

I'm happy about this.

This is the end of BlueLinks as we know it.

#71 Origins

Origins
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

So many uploads to that site, now all dead. :(

#72 Kitsune

Kitsune
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

I... don't know o.o
My understanding of crime is limited.

Ange would know. :/

That I do. My understanding (albeit of US law, which is rather limited since you know, I don't live there) is that in using any money gained through methods deemed to be illegal is money laundering.

This case is quite ridiculous, and I believe it will fail. I'm studying it in my masters class for IT law... I'll even be discussing it briefly in my thesis.
What's the difference between megaupload and youtube? Service providers simply aren't responsible for the actions of their users under US law, and while flaunting the money gained for many years and drawing attention to his wealth, Dotcom has not done anything illegal personally. He has in fact gone above and beyond his legal requirements to prevent his service being used for copyright infringement. Yes his service was clearly used for copyright infringement, that does not make him liable for providing a service that can be used to do so. I understand Youtube won their case using this same argument.
His reward scheme I'm iffy about. That's probably going to count against him in some way.

I think the police went overboard to err on the side of caution, knowing Dotcom has significant resources available to protect himself. A failed attempt is more embarrassing than going a bit overboard, but getting the job done.

Ironic really that guns are legal in the US, and a person selling a gun isn't liable for the actions of someone who bought a gun from them - who then uses that gun to murder or seriously injure, yet Dotcom selling a service that *some* used to infringe copyright is a major problem worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

I'm 50/50 on his extradition... it's difficult as we are a very small country and going up against the US without very good reason is unwise at best.

Oh yeah, sorry for gravedig. Found my name mentioned and thought this was worth an opinion.

#73 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

That I do. My understanding (albeit of US law, which is rather limited since you know, I don't live there) is that in using any money gained through methods deemed to be illegal is money laundering.

This case is quite ridiculous, and I believe it will fail. I'm studying it in my masters class for IT law... I'll even be discussing it briefly in my thesis.
What's the difference between megaupload and youtube? Service providers simply aren't responsible for the actions of their users under US law, and while flaunting the money gained for many years and drawing attention to his wealth, Dotcom has not done anything illegal personally. He has in fact gone above and beyond his legal requirements to prevent his service being used for copyright infringement. Yes his service was clearly used for copyright infringement, that does not make him liable for providing a service that can be used to do so. I understand Youtube won their case using this same argument.
His reward scheme I'm iffy about. That's probably going to count against him in some way.

I think the police went overboard to err on the side of caution, knowing Dotcom has significant resources available to protect himself. A failed attempt is more embarrassing than going a bit overboard, but getting the job done.

Ironic really that guns are legal in the US, and a person selling a gun isn't liable for the actions of someone who bought a gun from them - who then uses that gun to murder or seriously injure, yet Dotcom selling a service that *some* used to infringe copyright is a major problem worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

I'm 50/50 on his extradition... it's difficult as we are a very small country and going up against the US without very good reason is unwise at best.

Oh yeah, sorry for gravedig. Found my name mentioned and thought this was worth an opinion.

I fail to see why they would not be extradited. The servers were placed in the us. This was the Swedish cooperating with the US to capture them, all of the evidence is located in the US. I don't exactly see Sweden pressing charges and ignoring the US's call for extradition.

The owner of TVShack was extradited to the US from the UK, and he didn't even face criminal charges in the UK.

Youtube won because of two reasons. The proved that the responded to all DMCA notices, and they agreed to improve their blocking services even more (Stupid content id match).

In the US, to violate the copyright law, you must meet one of two requirements

1)Upload/download the file yourself.
2)Make money from other people uploading/downloading the file yourself

They violate part two, and if they knew that copyrighted files were stored, and chose to not remove them, then they would be punished. Kim obviously feels VERY confident in what hes doing, as he made no attempt to erase data while in his panic room for 2 hours. but the US court system is beyond retarded, and fails to comprehend the least complicated concept for when it comes to computers (eg. Blizzard vs MMO Glider)

Sadly, shits not even going down until august (fuck you law system) so we just gotta give up on that. Even if megaupload comes back, it wont be for like 3 years.

#74 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

The owner of TVShack was extradited to the US from the UK, and he didn't even face criminal charges in the UK.

That case is a complete farce, ruining the entire life of a young man who didn't even break any actual copyright laws in either the UK or the US.

#75 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

That case is a complete farce, ruining the entire life of a young man who didn't even break any actual copyright laws in either the UK or the US.

That's the power that the MPAA wields.

https://www.eff.org/...nces-under-dmca

An example of the abuse and bullshit that copyright is used for, and always has been used for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users