The Hunger Games

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Sure, Gale (I'm god awful with names). His only mention was the slight back story about him burning the bread. He's on the screen the entire time basically.

Nope, that's Peeta xD

Gale is the hunting boy.

Peeta gets no real consideration in the books before the Reaping, for the simple reason that Katniss is the narrator of the book, and is deeply flawed. Until Peeta is reaped, she really doesn't think about him all that much, so he's not included in the narrative.

#27 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Nope, that's Peeta xD

Gale is the hunting boy.

Peeta gets no real consideration in the books before the Reaping, for the simple reason that Katniss is the narrator of the book, and is deeply flawed. Until Peeta is reaped, she really doesn't think about him all that much, so he's not included in the narrative.

Which makes perfect sense :). Peeta sounds about right, Gale didn't.

#28 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Saw the movie last night with my brother. I haven't read the books, though now I might. I thought it was a decent film for its class. It kept me entertained, but it's not something that I would watch again really.

Also, I felt that Katniss had a lazy tongue during the entire film because she kept calling Peter Peeta, as if she was trying to be some sort of Englishwoman. Then, during the credits, I found out Peeta's name really didn't have an 'r' in it.

#29 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

it's not something that I would watch again really.

I would agree with this 100%.

#30 marcos123

marcos123
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I actually just watched the movie on a site I wasn't pleased =l

#31 lehmt

lehmt
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

I saw this with high hopes. Unfortunately I was disappointed as I left the theater. They missed a lot of key scenes and there was really no character development.

#32 xInsanityx13

xInsanityx13
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

I dont understand what the movie is about through the trailers and makes me want to avoid watching this movie

#33 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

I dont understand what the movie is about through the trailers and makes me want to avoid watching this movie

Its so hard to explain with a 30 second trailer....

If you read the books then you will die to watch the movie.... and from what i heard be disappointed shortly after. I haven't seen the movie but w/e i still got the books so.

#34 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Also, I felt that Katniss had a lazy tongue during the entire film because she kept calling Peter Peeta, as if she was trying to be some sort of Englishwoman. Then, during the credits, I found out Peeta's name really didn't have an 'r' in it.

haha i dont know why but this made me laugh :) I've read the books and loved them from an entertainment standpoint, I dont really have high expectations of the movie (just because movies rarely match the quality of books) but I'll still watch it just out of curiosity :)

#35 JorJor

JorJor
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Saw the movie last night with my brother. I haven't read the books, though now I might. I thought it was a decent film for its class. It kept me entertained, but it's not something that I would watch again really.

Haha! When I first read his name in the book I was like 'really?'. But eventually I got used to it. It's a rather odd name though, dunno why she didn't just choose Peter.

#36 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Haha! When I first read his name in the book I was like 'really?'. But eventually I got used to it. It's a rather odd name though, dunno why she didn't just choose Peter.

maybe its a play on words (like pita bread...and he's a baker's kid??) IDK that's how i kinda justified it.

#37 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

I have heard mostly positive reviews from people who read the books. Of course the movie is diffferent from the books and cuts outs scenes, but that's to be expected. i'll probably watch it when it goes to cheap seats and my friend has finished the books.

#38 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

I have heard mostly positive reviews from people who read the books. Of course the movie is diffferent from the books and cuts outs scenes, but that's to be expected. i'll probably watch it when it goes to cheap seats and my friend has finished the books.

If you want cheap movie tickets, get the passes from Costco for whichever theater group you frequent. Costco buys the tickets in bulk and passes the savings on to you. If you buy the ticket at the door like most people do, you end up paying some $15 per ticket. Going the Costco route gets you a ticket for half the price.

http://www.costco.co...837*&lang=en-US

#39 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

If you want cheap movie tickets, get the passes from Costco for whichever theater group you frequent. Costco buys the tickets in bulk and passes the savings on to you. If you buy the ticket at the door like most people do, you end up paying some $15 per ticket. Going the Costco route gets you a ticket for half the price.

http://www.costco.co...837*&lang=en-US

You sound like an ad haha. but thanks! movies here are only 10.25 after all fees actually. HOWEVA i was actually thinking about waiting till it gets to cheap seats and it costs $2.25 xD He's not reading the books for a while anyway.

#40 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Its so hard to explain with a 30 second trailer....

If you read the books then you will die to watch the movie.... and from what i heard be disappointed shortly after. I haven't seen the movie but w/e i still got the books so.

To be fair. This movie was without a doubt, the best movie made after a book (Not comic book!) so far. All of the other ones have been shit (Lets not even mention eragon)

#41 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

To be fair. This movie was without a doubt, the best movie made after a book (Not comic book!) so far. All of the other ones have been shit (Lets not even mention eragon)

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the best, what with the likes of The Godfather, LOTR and of course Willy Wonka :p

#42 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

The pacing was terrible. There was no character development beyond Katniss and Peeta, and what there was for those two was superficial at best.
There wasn't enough exposition before the Reaping. I didn't give a shit about Prim, or Rue.

Expendable mannequin characters, the lot of them.

Really? Did we watch the same movie??
I enjoyed it a lot. My biggest complaint is the shaky camera. Otherwise, I thought it was a fair and decent adaptation of the story. I was very surprised by Jennifer Lawrence's performance. I went in disliking her for the part... (too busty and womanly), but I felt her face was youthful enough to make up for that and she did a really good, believable job as Katniss. I knew there would be some deviation from the books, there has to be, but I liked it just fine. I liked that the action sequences were not in slow motion like they are in all the fucking movies nowadays. I curse the Matrix for that. Whenever I see an action scene in slowmotion I want to punch a puppy.

How come you didn't give a shit about Rue? Are you like these racist kids who don't know how to read and were disappointed she was black? :p
Posted Image

Just teasing.

I knew that dreaded Rue scene would be formulated to make me cry. Sometimes when a scene is too obvious... film makers put that dramatic sorrowful music in so that the audience feels like "This is when I should cry". I get angry and feel like it was too forced when that happens, (like every stupid Spielberg or James Cameron cheesey ass film I've ever seen) but I thought it was a sweet and beautiful scene and I had to think of fat people falling down not to tear up.

I thought the other characters had enough exposure. I could have done with less Gale, but as for Cinna, Effie, Haymitch, and the tributes, I thought a little went a long way. I really liked Foxface and I LOVED this badass mean little bitch right here...
Posted Image
Then again, I read all three books, so I had something to fall back on. I'll make my sister see it and see what she thinks. I remember seeing the first two Harry Potter movies before reading the books and I didn't know what the fuck was going on. It seemed so out of left field that Professor Quirrel had a dark wizard on the back of his head. And then Ginny Weasley? Really?? Bah! Those movies SUCKED.

p.s. I liked that Peeta was short in the movie. lol I found it endearing.

#43 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

No, surprisingly enough, I already knew Thresh and Rue were supposed to be black :p

The spastic camera was hugely irritating.
Everything felt rushed. I realise that there's only a finite amount of time to squeeze the story into... but they managed to adapt Lord of the Rings, so there's no excuse.

Don't get me wrong, it was good enough, and I enjoyed it. But it wasn't the cinematic masterpiece all the critics seem to be gushing about.

To follow on from Darren's post, there's also:
Schindler's List
The Shining
Trainspotting
The Silence of the Lambs
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Jurassic Park
To Kill a Mockingbird
American Psycho
The Shawshank Redemption
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Blade Runner
Bridget Jones' Diary
Fight Club
Shutter Island

Oh, and I should probably mention Battle Royale, given the thread.

This doesn't even touch the top 20 adaptations, let alone take the crown.

#44 JorJor

JorJor
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

I must have been completely oblivious to the shaky camera cause I've heard a lot of people complaining about it but I never really noticed it haha :p
I agree that it did feel rushed and there were some scenes that could've used a little more something to make them really stand out. I was also a little disappointed by the amount of violence in the movie. The movie got a 'hard' PG-13 rating supposedly for violence, but I feel like the violence was really played down. The beginning of the actual Games at the cornucopia is a good example. We never actually see anyone be impaled, we're just shown the before and after shot with blood splatter. I hope there will be an extended edition with lots more gore when it comes out on DVD c:

#45 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm looking at those lists and trying to think if there was a film adaptation that I enjoyed more than the book. I can think of only two... The English Patient, which was a waste of time in print and on film.. I just wasted less time watching the movie than I did reading the horrible book... and I think I liked the Swedish film adaptation of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo more than the book, because of the super hot actress that played Lisbeth. But that's it. In almost every other case, the book is always so much more fulfilling.

I'm also looking at the list and wondering why it is missing priceless cinematic gem "Twilight"!

Another thing I liked about the movie was the Capitol fashion. I loved when they showed all the pretty men with makeup, and all the colors. My god they are hideous and fabulous all at once.
Posted Image

ETA: THIS MAN'S HAIR!
Posted Image

#46 JorJor

JorJor
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

I agree, books are ALWAYS better than movies. And yeah, I thought they portrayed the fashion of the Capitol really well!

#47 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Storyline in the book was decent. But seriously, first person present tense? I felt like stabbing myself with a fork after each sentence. It'd be quite easy to take that storyline and come up with something better (and I wonder if there's any fanfiction that does just that?)

#48 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Storyline in the book was decent. But seriously, first person present tense? I felt like stabbing myself with a fork after each sentence. It'd be quite easy to take that storyline and come up with something better (and I wonder if there's any fanfiction that does just that?)

Just imagine it's a memoir.

#49 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Here, have this:

#50 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hunger Games: meh
not that great of a movie imo. I was bored to the point where I made off-color jokes with my buddy the entire time...which made it rather hilarious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users