Drug Testing at Work

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#76 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Umm.. Except I didn't say that drugs don't have health effects, I said very few drugs are truly neurotoxic. There is a vast difference in those two statements. It's simple to not waste the companies resource in hiring shitty employees without issuing a drug screening. It's called an interview. If using drugs does so much damage to someone that they will be incompetent to work properly, then you will find that out in the interview if your HR is worth a damn. It's a very simple process... I'm not against "random drug testing" as you agree to it once you have agreed to employment. However, I do think that requiring a UA prior to being hired is an invasion of privacy. Sure, they may be looking for only "illegal stuff" in your urine... but what's to stop them from looking for pregnancy, etc.? Just like they want to just look at your FB to see for illegal stuff.... blah blah blah... I'm going to eat now. Good luck. Have Fun. Don't Die.

-Cody

The worst effects of drug usage comes from sustained usage over time. Every dosage dose damage to your body, that accumulates until it reaches a negative effect. While the person may be 100% normal, in 6 months she may be completely incompetent (See - Lindsey Lohan). An interview can in no way, predict the long term effects (Which are the most dangerous) of taking drugs. How can you possibly do an interview and know if the person that you are interviewing will have an stroke while driving an customer around, because of his drug use?

What stops them from looking for other stuff? Simple, more then half the the tests are no longer piss samples, but samples of your saliva. Also, you have to take a test, by the government, to be able to do these drug tests, if you violate them in any way, and look for anything other then what you are legally allowed to, you lose your license, and are subject to huge fees, as well as possible jail time. Its much much more costly to look for anything more then drugs then it would be.

The problem with the interview process

Its not perfect, and claiming it is, is just wrong. People can specifically practice for interviews and ace them, simply to work for a few weeks, get fired, and collect unemployment, so they can buy more weed. As the OP stated, the interview process sucks, because these people cant even get her order right after 3 times of trying. The interview process fucking failed there. Hardcore. And yet your are acting like its the perfect system that protects you amazingly that its all you need.

As Darren said, that doesn't refute my reply at all, you craven imbecile.

What an excellent defense. Attack a person and call him an imbecile to cover up for the fact that you claimed we give up our freedoms unlike the brits, while you allow your government to spay on your more then 50% of the time.

A brilliant tactile move to hide the fact that you insulted us blindly.

#77 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

What an excellent defense. Attack a person and call him an imbecile to cover up for the fact that you claimed we give up our freedoms unlike the brits, while you allow your government to spay on your more then 50% of the time.

Spay on me? Uh-oh. But I wanna keep my reproductive organs :'(

In all seriousness although CCTV is quite a big thing here in places like shopping centres and high streets it's no worse or better than in America and is definitely not on every corner.

#78 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

Ok, everyone in this thread

*Not a business owner
*Never seen or worked with heroin/crack addicts
*Is focusing mainly on weed

Stop trying to justify you smoking a blunt by think that drugs testing are illegal. If you really want that job, you'll quit. If you won't quit, enjoy your welfare. I haven't got time for people who advocate drug usage anymore.

#79 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

I wasn't defending my point. There was no purpose in it, since I wasn't talking to him, and his reply was next to worthless.

And for the love of all things good and pure in the world, stop using words you don't understand.

#80 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

And for the love of all things good and pure in the world, stop using words you don't understand.

Amen.

It is advisable that you proofread your posts to check for errors so not to look like a fool: basic English errors combined with logical failure such as "every dosage dose damage to your body, that accumulates until it reaches a negative effect." really do not aid your cause. :)

If you are going to call others out on their ability to read, write and argue, you are expected to appear as at least capable.

#81 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Meanwhile, CCTV on every corner.

Only in large cities/city centers~ :whistling:

#82 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Good luck. Have Fun. Don't Die.

I think what you mean to say was- Wish you the worst. Eat shit. Please die.
At least that's what I was thinkin'.

Spay on me? Uh-oh. But I wanna keep my reproductive organs :'(

I cannot stop laughing at this comment.
Here is your reward for cracking me up.
*snoooort*
Posted Image

As for public cameras, how is that an invasion of privacy? Sheesh. We have a ton in traffic and street corners where I live, in the good ol' US. If you don't want to be caught on camera running stop signs or picking your nose or slapping an old lady around, then don't do it in public.

#83 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

If you don't want to be caught on camera running stop signs or picking your nose or slapping an old lady around, then don't do it in public.

Or... wear a hat. The power of video cameras defeated by the use of an opaque piece of clothing!

#84 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Or... wear a hat. The power of video cameras defeated by the use of an opaque piece of clothing!

"Him. It was that man in the musketeer's hat with the purple feather that beat my gran!"
Your plan has backfired.

#85 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

"Him. It was that man in the musketeer's hat with the purple feather that beat my gran!"
Your plan has backfired.

I always give away my crime hats to homeless people.

#86 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

I always give away my crime hats to homeless people.

Oh. hahahaha
Your generosity brings tears to my eyes.

#87 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Oh. hahahaha
Your generosity brings tears to my eyes.

It also helps that I only ever steal from hat shops.

#88 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

It also helps that I only ever steal from hat shops.

The plot thickens! How do you avoid detection from the surveillance cameras that are invading your privacy in the hat shop?!

#89 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

The plot thickens! How do you avoid detection from the surveillance cameras that are invading your privacy in the hat shop?!

Gimp mask.

#90 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Gimp mask.

Google images disturbed me.

#91 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

With a hat from a different hat shop.
Or a gimp mask, but I am loathe to give those away afterwards.

#92 STP

STP
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

From an employer's viewpoint, I think drug testing is an acceptable measure. Although it doesn't reflect much since a productive drug user will find a way around the initial drug test and eventually fall back into their old habits.

#93 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Amen.

It is advisable that you proofread your posts to check for errors so not to look like a fool: basic English errors combined with logical failure such as "every dosage dose damage to your body, that accumulates until it reaches a negative effect." really do not aid your cause. :)

If you are going to call others out on their ability to read, write and argue, you are expected to appear as at least capable.

For some reason I remember him sticking up for someone who misspelled something earlier in this thread...

#94 Wrukag

Wrukag
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I am against drug testing for the inactive metabolites from Marijuana usage.

1: In states that have MMJ its discrimination.

2: If you go home and smoke after work that is your right, you've earned it. However I don't support drug usage at work and there are appropriate tests to determine if you are intoxicated at present versus a drug test that invades your personal life.

#95 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

I am against drug testing for the inactive metabolites from Marijuana usage.

2: If you go home and smoke after work that is your right, you've earned it. However I don't support drug usage at work and there are appropriate tests to determine if you are intoxicated at present versus a drug test that invades your personal life.

What about other drugs? What if they just didn't test for marijuana and did the rest of them? Would it be OK then?

#96 Wrukag

Wrukag
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

What about other drugs? What if they just didn't test for marijuana and did the rest of them? Would it be OK then?

I think its acceptable to test for hard drugs. Drugs like crack, heroin, meth and coke have more serious side effects both on and off the drug that would totally effect your ability to work. I know that meth addicts have crazy side affects, anger issues and paranoia. I've worked with people who smoke weed after work, it doesn't affect their abilities to work at all. I've also worked at a sawmill with crackheads and tweakers, I feel much safer working with someone who smokes a joint after work compared to someone who is only driven by their addiction.

#97 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

So what you're saying is that it is totally acceptable for large corporations and small businesses alike to encourage illegal activities?

#98 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

So what you're saying is that it is totally acceptable for large corporations and small businesses alike to encourage illegal activities?

Not testing for marijuana usage is not the same as encouraging it...

I don't think that companies regularly test for recreational theft, or recreational violence. I don't think small businesesses give two figs whether their employees go cockfighting at the weekends, or play illegal gambling games with their wage packet.

#99 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Testing for cocaine, heroin, MDMA etc and not testing for cannabis is indirectly encouraging it. It's basically saying "Hi, don't do these drugs we test for, try this instead"

#100 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

How is it discrimination?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users