Free courses offered by coursera and udacity in a variety of subjects

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Are they actually "worth" anything, or is it just to say... well done, you did it?

The latter.

#27 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

The latter.

Ehh, well, hopefully it'll make me look a little better for applying to college. At least I've tried doing something that'll help me on a course, haha.

#28 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

You'll probably get a printable certificate if that's what you're looking for. :p

Ooooooh.
I keep referring to these courses as "my fake, internet college courses" but if I get a certificate, I can hang it on the wall next to all my sister's and finally be proud of something that isn't just 'perfect attendance'.

#29 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Are they actually "worth" anything, or is it just to say... well done, you did it?

From my experience with the MIT OpenCourseware, you don't get any continuing education/certification or college credits for the work that you do in these courses. At MIT you don't even have access to faculty to ask questions, it's completely independent work. Not sure if it's the same with the other links that people have posted here, though.

(Whoops looks like I took too long to type this response :whistling:)

Thanks for sharing these links, Hydro! I know Cody mentioned KhanAcademy.org, and I just wanted to second that. Most of my college career has been online, and Khan taught me more about math and physics than I learned from my actual courses or teachers. His latter videos (after the transition to HD) are very good, but the early ones are also super helpful (just not as pretty).

#30 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Do you gain anything substantive from them? I've signed up for greek/roman mythology and looks like something to keep me occupied.

I've felt that since I've left college that I haven't really challenged myself other than work related topics.

Like the others have said, there is no college credit or anything here. You just get a certificate of accomplishment if that means anything to you. Personally, I just want to learn the material because I find it interesting. Shouldn't that be the only reason to take a course? :p

#31 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Like the others have said, there is no college credit or anything here. You just get a certificate of accomplishment if that means anything to you. Personally, I just want to learn the material because I find it interesting. Shouldn't that be the only reason to take a course? :p

You don't work a proper job do you Hydrogen.....

#32 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

You don't work a proper job do you Hydrogen.....

What makes you say that?

#33 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

What makes you say that?

Because I'm so busy at work I don't have all the time in the world to study long arse courses in all the subjects I'm interested in Posted Image

#34 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Because I'm so busy at work I don't have all the time in the world to study long arse courses in all the subjects I'm interested in Posted Image

It's all about time management ;).

#35 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's all about time management ;).

There's not enough time in the day to wank let alone study!

#36 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

There's not enough time in the day to wank let alone study!

That gave me a good laugh :p.

I wake up at 7 am every day to get ready for work. I'm in the office by 9 am (I have a bit of a commute :(). I work until 6 pm and am home again by 7:30 pm. I have dinner with my family until 8:30 pm and spend time with them a bit afterward until 9 pm. I work on my courses from 9 pm to 10:30 pm. After that, depending on how tired I am, I either go to sleep or spend some more time with my family. I'm usually always in bed by 11 pm though.

I'm actually trying to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier -- just shift everything up by a few hours. This is my weekday routine. Weekends are obviously easier to work everything that I need to do in.

inb4 pyro.

#37 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

I work around 95 hours a week. Between that, gym, sleeping and pooping I have no time. Although I do want to study and learn more. Unfortunately my job only offers courses in management. Which is good, because it's a free GNVQ which you technically get paid to do, but I'd rather learn about greek gods Posted Image

#38 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

I work around 95 hours a week. Between that, gym, sleeping and pooping I have no time. Although I do want to study and learn more. Unfortunately my job only offers courses in management. Which is good, because it's a free GNVQ which you technically get paid to do, but I'd rather learn about greek gods Posted Image

Then by all means sign up for the mythology courses. You can take them at your own pace really, there's little work involved. It's not like you're being graded or anything.

#39 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

I have.

#40 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

95 hours a week is rough. Wtf do you do?!

#41 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

95 hours a week is rough. Wtf do you do?!

He's police. In London town I think.

#42 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Great share, thanks.

Enrolled in Programming Languages, Applied Cryptography, Web Application Engineering and Building a Search Engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users