Changes

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#76 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

lol Jesse I don't think more hostility is a good idea :p I feel like not enough is done about jerk members that discourage others about what they post.

I was going to say, I think the hostilities are the underlying problem. I think the intellectually self-righteous people on here should embrace a little imperfection in the newbies. For some select people, sure, they have it coming to them. But, we were all super noobs once. Generally, I think they need to tone it down so the atmosphere is a little more welcoming.

You know who you all are. :/

#77 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Advanced is kind of like private though, with the + thingy and all.... Should we give Advanced+ a discussion area for nominated members only? Maybe that would make it seem almost exactly like Private...

Advanced is nothing like Private O_o Advanced is for literally anyone who posts semi-regularly, without posting endless shite.
Private was far more selective, and therefore far more fun to participate in. Frustrating for some, but those people were invariably idiots.
The point of Private wasn't the area, or the programs, or the user title... it was the recognition, from the rest of the community, that you were a useful and interesting person to have around.

Yes, it was elitist. Yes, it was a popularity contest.
But when it comes down to it, people like those things. And let's be honest, if Cyo, Voltron and the like could get in, it wasn't irredeemably discriminatory.

#78 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

lol Jesse I don't think more hostility is a good idea :p I feel like not enough is done about jerk members that discourage others about what they post.

Why not call them out? Or better yet, provide examples? I've yet to see anyone specify this 'hostility', and it's a pretty bold assertion to make unsupported if you ask me.

#79 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Advanced is nothing like Private O_o Advanced is for literally anyone who posts semi-regularly, without posting endless shite.
Private was far more selective, and therefore far more fun to participate in. Frustrating for some, but those people were invariably idiots.
The point of Private wasn't the area, or the programs, or the user title... it was the recognition, from the rest of the community, that you were a useful and interesting person to have around.

Yes, it was elitist. Yes, it was a popularity contest.
But when it comes down to it, people like those things. And let's be honest, if Cyo, Voltron and the like could get in, it wasn't irredeemably discriminatory.

Then maybe we should accept monthly applications for Retired, from the Advanced+ pool. That sounds like fun, and is pretty selective. :D It's not like anyone really nominates people for Retired anymore... and making a rank above Retired would just be ridiculous so we can leave it at that.

#80 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

13. Tutorials! But proper ones that aren't nepets related. Programming and GFX tutorials were wicked back in the day. I learnt a lot about photoshop and learned to programe using VB when I was 14!

Also, as someone who is learning to program, this would be very helpful. Their are a ton of intelligent people here who can explain programming very well for new programmers. More "Noobie Guides" would be nice.

#81 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Why not call them out? Or better yet, provide examples? I've yet to see anyone specify this 'hostility', and it's a pretty bold assertion to make unsupported if you ask me.

That's probably because they don't want any further controversy because SOME of the hostile people I'm talking about never back down because to them they are never in the wrong. And if you think that I'm making a false accusation and that there isn't any hostility then you're either blind or one of the people who contributes to the hostility. I don't see the point in bringing up exact situations because there's no point in digging up the past and possibly rehashing the orignal problem. The point is that too many members are hostile and unwelcoming and unfriendly. That makes for a shitty dying forum.

Edited by EveMazing, 09 May 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#82 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I'm really disliking being a regular member now.... so lame.

#83 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Then maybe we should accept monthly applications for Retired, from the Advanced+ pool. That sounds like fun, and is pretty selective. :D It's not like anyone really nominates people for Retired anymore... and making a rank above Retired would just be ridiculous.

I could get behind that. I do think there should be a rank above the application rank though... But that may just be ego talking :p
Retired hasn't been "Retired" since it was merged with Private, so it's not like Retired members would be losing anything.

#84 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hmm... I don't know if the Shakira topic is representative of all of what happened in 2006, but you may be right. :lol: To be fair, the posts in that topic are kind of amusing. :p

That topic was made before the "Chit-chat" section was made :p

#85 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'm really disliking being a regular member now.... so lame.

I tell you something, if there's one thing that people hate, it's faux-subtle references to wanting to be ranked up.

#86 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

I tell you something, if there's one thing that people hate, it's faux-subtle references to wanting to be ranked up.

unnecessary hostility.

my point has been proven, thank you.

Thankfully Jesse doesn't let it discourage him from posting because he's a very useful contributor to this community and I'm glad to have his guides.

Edited by EveMazing, 09 May 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#87 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

I wonder if a newbie hangout section would work, segregating them from our grumpier members. :p

#88 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

I know. That wasn't the point of me saying that at all, this is merely the first time I've really met the limitations of this user rank.

Everyone says how the +Rep's don't actually count for anything, why then are such limitations in place?

What is the disbursement again?

Member - 3
Advanced Member(+) - 5
Retired Member - 10

Seems really limited.

#89 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

I wonder if a newbie hangout section would work, segregating them from our grumpier members. :p

lol that could either help or make the gap even wider xD
but I actually think that's a good idea. It would just be more separating the new comers from the older members which I thought was a problem that was trying to be reversed.

#90 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

That's probably because they don't want any further controversy because SOME of the hostile people I'm talking about never back down because to them they are never in the wrong. And if you think that I'm making a false accusation and that there isn't any hostility then you're either blind or one of the people who contributes to the hostility. I don't see the point in bringing up exact situations because there's no point in digging up the past and possibly rehashing the orignal problem. The point is that too many members are hostile and unwelcoming and unfriendly. That makes for a shitty dying forum.

Interesting choice of words for one who is decrying a hostile environment...

In any case, I don't see a solution in sight until the problem is identified. Are you calling for stricter mods? More warns? Hugs and pats on the back for everything?

That topic was made before the "Chit-chat" section was made :p

Yeah, most of the forum was chit-chat to the best of my knowledge. :p

#91 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

A main reason no one posts now is because access to abrosia is so easy. With post requirements it made the users who were interested in gaining more access to the program required to post in general threads. Since those posts were monitored it meant you had to put some decent level of thought into them. Then by the time you had 50,100,etc. you were actually interested in the forums and knew other members.

#92 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, most of the forum was chit-chat to the best of my knowledge. :p

Well, to be fair, I think the average age was 16 back then :p

#93 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Interesting choice of words for one who is decrying a hostile environment...

In any case, I don't see a solution in sight until the problem is identified. Are you calling for stricter mods? More warns? Hugs and pats on the back for everything?

Stricter mods would be a good idea but I'm just saying these people need to stop being raging pricks and set their superiority complexes aside so that the members coming in don't feel so attacked for everything they say.

#94 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

I think that would just separate them from integrating with the rest of the people here.

#95 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well, to be fair, I think the average age was 16 back then :p

I think come summer time for high school students the forum will have more activity. God knows since I've been at university compared to high school I do nothing but browse the internet. Come summer time the bored late middle to high school users will be more active.

#96 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Unnecessary hostility.

my point has been proven, thank you.

Thankfully Jesse doesn't let it discourage him from posting because he's a very useful contributor to this community and I'm glad to have his guides.

Truthfully, if you think that was a hostile comment, you might be better off sticking to Gaia Online, or maybe Webkinz.
(Psst. That was a hostile comment. Although also accurate.)

Seriously, though, could you do me a huge favour and find a thread where you think I've been hostile to a new member unnecessarily?

#97 Mishatu

Mishatu
  • 346 posts

I think that would just separate them from integrating with the rest of the people here.

It might not, if some of the older members who don't flame also take the time to talk there.

#98 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

It might not, if some of the older members who don't flame also take the time to talk there.

So you're saying that we should have a forum section where only newbies and pre-approved nice people can talk?
That's a weird idea.

I kind of like it. Perhaps a way of implementing the "Welcoming Committee" idea that always gets bandied around.

#99 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Truthfully, if you think that was a hostile comment, you might be better off sticking to Gaia Online, or maybe Webkinz.
(Psst. That was a hostile comment. Although also accurate.)

Seriously, though, could you do me a huge favour and find a thread where you think I've been hostile to a new member unnecessarily?

It was unnecessary Sweeney, just like that comment. There is no need for you to be a jerk to Yung or me or anyone for ANY reason. There is NO reason to be hostile in any situation. It doesn't just mean new members, it's any members. If you want an example I'll give you my thread that I made a while back that you chewed me up for just because YOU thought it was a pointless topic. That was unnecessary and not the way you should treat members of a forum. Everyone has a right to post whatever they want as long as it is within the rules of the site. The point that I was bumping it is another issue which I take full responsibility for and see my wrong in, but you did not need to tear my topic down just because you didn't like it. That is what discourages members from making posts and threads. And if you don't see that you do that, then there's no point in you arguing about it because you obviously don't think anything you do is ever wrong.

Edited by EveMazing, 09 May 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#100 Mishatu

Mishatu
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

So you're saying that we should have a forum section where only newbies and pre-approved nice people can talk?
That's a weird idea.

More like the idea of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users