• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#151 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

I never understood the intimidation of Neocodex's "older members". You do realize the scary veterans of this site are adorable 22 year old fresh faced boys who can't grow beards, right? I'm more intimidated by creepy people like Turnip. NO ONE IS THAT HAPPY AND NICE. NO ONE.

Posted Image

I love you too bby!!
And heheh, don't worry! My happiness and overall positive attitude isn't a show or anything, so don't think that! I can be serious and neutral-feeling when it's needed! It's just I really do prefer posting in a warm and kind tone over neutral/emotionless because not only are they no fun (and if I'm going to do something, I might as well have fun doing so!), but attitudes tend to rub off on the people you talk to. And wouldn't it be nicer if there were lots of happy, cheerful people than sulky, sarcastic and rude ones? I'm like this in real life too, same thing applies there ^^
Besides, with all this talk about how some people here post in more possibly-negative ways, don't you think it's best that there are some people who aren't like that? Gotta balance things somehow! ♥

Sorry if it somehow creeps you out though!~

Being someone who is relatively new to posting on the forums here, I find a lot the older members quite intimidating. I feel there are "cliques" where newer members aren't accepted so it makes it harder to post without the threat of being flamed or trolled (even in status updates). Just IMO.

This is pretty true! I'm used to reading somewhat intimidating and rude comments as I've spent the past four years on 4chan, so the troll posts that got thrown in this direction and whatever didn't really phase me at all, but not everyone has done that and aren't used to it..
And yeah, there are gonna be little cliques and groups that make you feel kinda unwelcome/if you want to hang out with x good luck with getting your place in the group lol, but you're going to find that everywhere :unsure: I've certainly felt nervous in the past about joining sites which have cliques and all, but really you just need to post and be outgoing, make youself known, trying your best and all of that! In a good way though, of course ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh gosh, those are so cute! It'd be really cool if something like those were used again :3

Edited by Turnip, 09 May 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#152 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Nice job, I could only find the Admin one on the Wayback Machine :p Hardly any threads are archived.
Obviously, I just wasn't working hard enough!

I just got them from user profiles, not threads.

#153 Hidden.Elf

Hidden.Elf
  • 1797 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

I have been at this site for 8 years now and have never seen a moderator explain why he warned someone. If it wasn't for the warns forum and my extensive log I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know about warns at all. Let alone bannings.

That is terribly inaccurate.

#154 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

A wild Hidden.Elf appears!

#155 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

I just got them from user profiles, not threads.

Mmm, I tried a few, but they kept showing up unarchived too. I'm just unlucky :p

A wild Hidden.Elf appears!

*pokes it*
Is it real?

#156 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Posted Image

#157 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Mmm, I tried a few, but they kept showing up unarchived too. I'm just unlucky :p

Which ones are missing?

#158 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

I still don't understand why Private was abandoned?

#159 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

I still don't understand why Private was abandoned?

It was mostly a useless popularity contest that added nothing new to the site. We removed it to stay focused on what we were trying to achieve as a website instead of a group of people.

#160 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Some of the changes would be interesting, like having new ranks. I've personally never been on IRC but I agree that it might get more people posting in the forum if it wasn't around.

I don't think the older members are always intentionally hostile but as a newb it does sometimes come off that way. Saying that, after sticking around here I've actually really grown to like alot of the people I originally thought were jerks.

Also I agree with points 5 and 8 ^o^

Spoiler

#161 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

It was mostly a useless popularity contest that added nothing new to the site. We removed it to stay focused on what we were trying to achieve as a website instead of a group of people.

....sooooo, retired?

#162 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

....sooooo, retired?

Would you be angry if I said it was on it's way out? It's not really my decision anymore though :p. I'm just telling you why we removed it back then :p. I'm just a programmer now.

#163 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Some of the changes would be interesting, like having new ranks. I've personally never been on IRC but I agree that it might get more people posting in the forum if it wasn't around.

Mmmm, the conversations and all which happen on there are usually very short ones that would just go in a status update anyways :o And sometimes they're conversations which really do need to be in real time and not spamming up the forum with drama or idle chit chat >w< Sure, sometimes there are things which would be alright in a thread but if it's something serious enough or needs lots of opinions or huge discussion (normally there aren't more than a handful of people talking at one time on there) then it would more than likely get posted as a thread anyways :p
I'm guessing it's the same in TC~

#164 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Would you be angry if I said it was on it's way out? It's not really my decision anymore though :p. I'm just telling you why we removed it back then :p. I'm just a programmer now.

Based on a number of comments in this thread, it seems that some people believe the removal/lack of ranks to achieve is part of the problem with activity. What are we trying to achieve as a site that Private/Retired not only doesn't support, but hinders?

#165 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Sad sad times. I can see this site slowly fading out.

#166 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Actually there aren't that many of us that actively use the IRC, disbanding it wouldn't accomplish anything since most of us are overly active in the forums in the first place.

#167 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Sad sad times. I can see this site slowly fading out.

How many times has that been said over the years? :p

#168 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

I find that whenever someone is knew, or starts up a thread pertaining something interested to them, they just get trolled, condescendingly talked to, or ignored. Who wants to engage in conversation, much less start a thread, when you know the people who are going to respond are going to be rude. Yes, it is the internet, however, I don't think that means we should just run rampant and be complete asses to each other.

TBH they probably deserved it. I can't think of any example where someone asked an intelligent question and was trolled for it.

Now on to more important subject matters.
We should consolidate all basic information into one giant FAQ and pin it in General, then warn anyone who makes a topic asking a question that's already been answered. Here is a list of recurring topics that constitute 90% of activity.
  • What are some good buy times?
  • What shops do I go to?
  • I bought Gxxxxxt Cxxkxng Fxr Yxxr Pxt in XXxxXXXXXX seconds is this suspicious?
  • Where is the trading post?
  • Can someone post the Mystery Pic answer?
  • Here is a question that takes 5 seconds to google. I'm too lazy can someone do it for me?
Next, amend the rules to give 3 strikes before a ban instead of 10% warn each time. It should be clear by the 3rd infraction that that member has no desire to become a a functioning part of society.

Stricter mods would be a good idea but I'm just saying these people need to stop being raging pricks and set their superiority complexes aside so that the members coming in don't feel so attacked for everything they say.

Are you talking about yourself? Are you certain it has nothing to do with a certain subject matter that you tweet about on a daily basis ;-)

#169 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

How many times has that been said over the years? :p

72 :p

But seriously it has/will fade. It used to be a community of neopets/ex-neopets players/cheaters and GFX artists with programmers built in to boost. We had e-zine teams, contests, ranks to actually work towards, active staff and so forth.

At the moment it's just a lot of newbies chatting about neopets and some old cranks moaning about the good ol days.

#170 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

At the moment it's just a lot of newbies chatting about neopets and some old cranks moaning about the good ol days.

To be fair it's been like that for the last 2-3 years (and activity was much worse before that) so if it keeps fading at this rate we should still be around for a while yet. :p

#171 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

... ... ...

I don't believe my eyes.... Where did H.Elf come from?!?!

#172 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Next, amend the rules to give 3 strikes before a ban instead of 10% warn each time. It should be clear by the 3rd infraction that that member has no desire to become a a functioning part of society.

*gasp!* There'd be no one left!
What about the people sometimes get warned for minor insults that could have been shrugged off? I swear, if FreedomPenguin hit the report button every time I've harassed him, I'd have a shitload of nickels. Or so the saying goes.

#173 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

A main reason no one posts now is because access to abrosia is so easy. With post requirements it made the users who were interested in gaining more access to the program required to post in general threads. Since those posts were monitored it meant you had to put some decent level of thought into them. Then by the time you had 50,100,etc. you were actually interested in the forums and knew other members.

Right. Being a member gives access to the program in the first place - it shouldn't be considered outrageous to ask fifty to 100 posts to get buy times. That, or a subscription. So leave advanced basically as it is, and turn Advanced+ into the private of old like it should be.

Strike the middle ground and everyone wins.

Come off it.

"I'm tired of his mouth."

I can quote that because it was my first warn here, and it was from you. That was the extent of the explanation I got for my warn. And it was removed less than a day later by another staffer who recognized that you were out of control, not me. Beside the fact that you once contributed here, you have absolutely no right to participate in this discussion. Post sometime in the past half decade and you can judge how the staff has done in your absence.

#174 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

Reading this entire topic was not nearly as entertaining as I thought it would be.

But yes, the mods suck and have never ever given reason for their actions. And I have personally fought with many many members irrationally because I've never been trained nor do I have normal social skills.

Also I don't have boobs. Yet.

I <3 Punk.

And generally only the noobs that are really stupid (either basic forum etiquette or literally really stupid) get attacked. Sure it's probably unfair if this is your first forum (this is for me) but we can't exactly baby all the new members and be like "let me hold your hand into the big scary world of Codex". We've established our personality, and those who don't fit in simply don't, and usually leave.

Or they're like me and stay for all the money this job pays.

#175 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

The screenshot is from the start of '07. The bars from long before that.

Don't you remember the contest we had for new ones (07/08)? There were like 6/7 sets entered... I've tried finding the topics, but can't. :/ Not sure if they were in the old contest section or announcements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users