Photo

Programming a bot - Where to start?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 shaggy111

shaggy111
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Don't forget that neopets has their own HTML guide! it's where I first learned HTML :p

I too started at the Neopets Guide for HTML design and then took a class in High School. I am currently in College taking Web Design classes right now to finish up my computer programming degree. I have already taken a Java class and have 3 more weeks of my C++ class.

MrSharingan what I did was google source code of bots and learned from those. I also looked up things on google like accessing a website through python. (urllib2).

#27 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

If your looking for an example login script, find my first post ever on these forums.

#28 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Yep, you have got to use Python 3.

Of course, why use Python 3? Because:

• Quick and easy to learn/get a hold of.
  • Massive community for you to engage with, and learn from.
  • Very few systems don't have a Python distribution you can download.
  • A massive shitload of 3rd party modules are available on the internet.
  • You can do it a lot with it, even just with it's standard library.
  • You don't need a lot of the 3rd party modules from Python 2 that haven't been ported to Python 3 yet.
  • Python 3's data types work more smoothly than 2.
  • Python 2 will soon be outdated. No point lagging behind the times. :)
Also, in response to your other question, it'll be easier to Google it. Try 'requests for humans' if you can't work with Python's standard library.

P.S. If you do decide on either Python version, I have a shitload of eBooks (DRM free) I'd be happy to lend/give you. It's always best to learn from something brought to a publishing standard as opposed to a web standard.

I follow the philosophy, "When all of the code on my computer is Python 3, then I will start using Python 3." Hasn't failed me so far. As others have said, start with Python 2.7 and then make your way up.

#29 liquidnails

liquidnails
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

So from what all I'm reading, python is all you guys use. Is there no place for a seasoned PHP script writer?

#30 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

So from what all I'm reading, python is all you guys use. Is there no place for a seasoned PHP script writer?

You can write bots in PHP too, we just prefer Python because it's better suited to our needs. :p

#31 liquidnails

liquidnails
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

You can write bots in PHP too, we just prefer Python because it's better suited to our needs. :p

Do you guys host the php apps, or do you have to host them yourself?
I do see the benefit of python running on the users system. I just don't like python cause it's less flexible than php.

If I wanted to write a program that used information from the item database, do you guys provide access to that data for app writers or not?

#32 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Do you guys host the php apps, or do you have to host them yourself?
I do see the benefit of python running on the users system. I just don't like python cause it's less flexible than php.

If I wanted to write a program that used information from the item database, do you guys provide access to that data for app writers or not?

We only host official programs by our own programming team. We used to have it where we would accept programs from others but it's difficult to maintain a decent standard of quality and consistency.

We do have an API that people can use but you'd have to talk to Pyro699 about that.

#33 liquidnails

liquidnails
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Ok thanks, will check it out. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users