Quantcast

Photo

Why do people think that nature is good?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

I suppose I should try to weigh in on this since I spend a lot of my free time dicking around in forests and shit.

Gonna start by saying that I believe that both nature and humanity are neither fundamentally "good" nor fundamentally "bad." Both have their perks, both have their disadvantages. I think that a world strictly ruled by either would be totally bullshit.

Humanity and nature are neither good nor bad.

I believe that so many people idealize and romanticize nature because they've been isolated from it and they don't know much about it, or people have experienced it and have accepted it despite its perceived flaws. It's a bit like space. Space is beautiful, and we're all a part of space. But if you were to hitch a ride on a rocket and head up there, you might similarly find it very violent and barbaric as stars collapse and explode, lifeless balls of ice circle around clouds of gas, galaxies collide and eat each other, rocks slam into each other, and so-on. But even with all of this scary and dangerous activity, even though on earth we feel separated from it, space is still adored by many and we are and always have been a part of space.

I love nature. I think animals are fascinating and beautiful (yeah, even when they're dismembering each other), plants and fungi are majestic, rocks are varied and interesting, and so-on. But I also adore big cities, genetic engineering, pharmaceuticals, jewelry, and cameras in space.

I'd never take one over the other because I'm a greedy fuck who wants it both ways. I think a lot of that is reflected in my job, which often involves making compromises between nature and people or bending nature to meet the needs of people.

My first positive vote ever.

#27 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Unless you have some absolute standard by which to infer whether something like nature is good or bad, this topic is pointless.

Edited by alias, 17 August 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#28 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Thank you for ignoring my source, which has already served to disprove your argument that murders have decreased.

Have a nice day.

Your source doesn't disprove anything. Your source are statistics gathered over a decade of the homicide rate in various nations. A homicide rate will fluctuate year to year (these very statistics prove that), it's about finding the average between disparate set of years. Not about comparing 2012 to 2011. If you look at the majority of the numbers in your "source", anyway, most countries that were continuously documented show a decline in violence. If the average is to change is because the most violent countries weren't always included, making it a fundamentally flawed set of statistics to gauge violence from. However, accurate statistical analysis of global murder trends across various decades is impossible, so we'll have to do with recent years.

The UN has tried to document global murder rates across 5 years here: http://www.unodc.org...eport-says.html In the Americas, the murder rates charted are stable and in Oceania and Europe homicide is on the decline.

The greatest and only comprehensive statistical analysis on global violence rates over the years is this one http://www.hsrgroup....and-tables.aspx albeit it is limited to conflict-related deaths.

There's also well-researched, if politicized and biased, books written on the subject.

The decline in violence shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. People might have a tendency to kill each other, but they prefer keeping their lives than killing. Every society proscribes indiscriminate homicide. The only thing that truly allows humans to kill each other is a differential of power. We kill things when it doesn't represent a threat for us, legally or in retaliation. As nations become integrated and as differentials in power drop and global justice organizations increase, people are less prone to kill each other. That's just how shit goes. We're rational, selfish creatures, sure. If we could, we'd probably kill each other for the dumbest shit. We've been doing that through a large portion of history, but the stakes for killing other human beings have gradually become higher all across the board (thanks to civilization) and homicides have dropped accordingly.

#29 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

Unless you have some absolute standard by which to infer whether something like nature is good or bad, this topic is pointless.

Operationally, I am defining safety, cooperation, and lawfulness as good... Brutishness, danger, and the rule of brute force as bad.

#30 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Operationally, I am defining safety, cooperation, and lawfulness as good... Brutishness, danger, and the rule of brute force as bad.

Unfortunately you're definitions are merely relative and subjective. Once again, unless you have absolute standards by which to compare, the topic is pointless.

#31 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

I lived four months in the mountain/woods, walking to Florida. Easier to live in the woods than people most times. I did take a knife with me, but I had to make a new chert one after two months.

#32 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Unfortunately you're definitions are merely relative and subjective. Once again, unless you have absolute standards by which to compare, the topic is pointless.

---
What the fuck isn't relative? LOL. Obviously it's relative, I'm saying civilization is relatively less brutish and more cooperative than nature. I don't see how the fact that it is relative not make it valid.

Edited by kami12, 18 August 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#33 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

---
What the fuck isn't relative? LOL. Obviously it's relative, I'm saying civilization is relatively less brutish and more cooperative than nature. I don't see how the fact that it is relative not make it valid.

Because relative truth isn't true for everyone. Comparing relative truths is pointless.

#34 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Because relative truth isn't true for everyone. Comparing relative truths is pointless.

What on earth are you defining as relative? If we define brutishness as violence or physical harm done unto others in the same community then it is observed more often in nature. If we define cooperation as the agreement among individuals to pursue their interests collectively, then it is empirically observed less in nature. I mean we can operationally define these terms, it isn't as if they're some vague "apply 2 all" terms. All truths are relative in so far as there are no absolute truths, but all these points are empirically verifiable.

Edited by kami12, 18 August 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#35 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Your source doesn't disprove anything. Your source are statistics gathered over a decade of the homicide rate in various nations. A homicide rate will fluctuate year to year (these very statistics prove that), it's about finding the average between disparate set of years. Not about comparing 2012 to 2011. If you look at the majority of the numbers in your "source", anyway, most countries that were continuously documented show a decline in violence. If the average is to change is because the most violent countries weren't always included, making it a fundamentally flawed set of statistics to gauge violence from. However, accurate statistical analysis of global murder trends across various decades is impossible, so we'll have to do with recent years.

The UN has tried to document global murder rates across 5 years here: http://www.unodc.org...eport-says.html In the Americas, the murder rates charted are stable and in Oceania and Europe homicide is on the decline.

The greatest and only comprehensive statistical analysis on global violence rates over the years is this one http://www.hsrgroup....and-tables.aspx albeit it is limited to conflict-related deaths.

There's also well-researched, if politicized and biased, books written on the subject.

The decline in violence shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. People might have a tendency to kill each other, but they prefer keeping their lives than killing. Every society proscribes indiscriminate homicide. The only thing that truly allows humans to kill each other is a differential of power. We kill things when it doesn't represent a threat for us, legally or in retaliation. As nations become integrated and as differentials in power drop and global justice organizations increase, people are less prone to kill each other. That's just how shit goes. We're rational, selfish creatures, sure. If we could, we'd probably kill each other for the dumbest shit. We've been doing that through a large portion of history, but the stakes for killing other human beings have gradually become higher all across the board (thanks to civilization) and homicides have dropped accordingly.

You just said my source proves nothing, but the next sentence you show that it proves that.

This is a decade of research, longer then both sources you provided (And by the same resource as one of your sources). It shows that 11 countries have a decline in violence, and the rest either have steady or increasing terms of violence.

As it is, every single country who's violence numbers remain close to even for the entire study (a decade is a long fucking time) disproves your argument that they are "declining". As such, my source disproves the statement that they are declining, because it has hundreds of countries were it remains very even.

Also, your "very details and excellent resource" is all about conflict based murders. I've yet to include any numbers or states on conflict based wars, and have purposely left it out the entire time, dealing only with murders and nothing else. Thanks for trying to disprove my numbers with numbers from something 100% off topic and completely irrelevant. that proves that you know nothing about what you are talking about.

#36 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

You just said my source proves nothing, but the next sentence you show that it proves that.

This is a decade of research, longer then both sources you provided (And by the same resource as one of your sources). It shows that 11 countries have a decline in violence, and the rest either have steady or increasing terms of violence.

As it is, every single country who's violence numbers remain close to even for the entire study (a decade is a long fucking time) disproves your argument that they are "declining". As such, my source disproves the statement that they are declining, because it has hundreds of countries were it remains very even.

Also, your "very details and excellent resource" is all about conflict based murders. I've yet to include any numbers or states on conflict based wars, and have purposely left it out the entire time, dealing only with murders and nothing else. Thanks for trying to disprove my numbers with numbers from something 100% off topic and completely irrelevant. that proves that you know nothing about what you are talking about.

You need to take a statistics class. Charts become regularized across dates (there's less apparent fluctuations and a trend is more easily noted). Hence, why trying to map a trend across a few years is difficult. Look at any stock trend for a day, you'll see ups and down. Change the chart to ten years, you'll see whether the stock has been rising or falling. Murder rates aren't regular. Hardly anything is.

In the statistics you showed, almost all of Europe shows a decline in violence. That's more than 11 countries. Of what I bothered to check, New Zealand and Australia also show a decrease in violence. I'd bother looking at more nations, but it is obvious you didn't bother looking yourself. Why would I?

One of the sources I provided went far beyond two decades. The other was a few years, but it took a fixed amount of nations with known homicide rates and charted them. These are pertinent for two reasons: A) There's a chart presenting the trend better for those statistically challenged. B) It charted the same countries. One of the problem with finding an average among all the nations in yours is that not all countries are regularly presented. X year might show a bigger/smaller average than Y year only because a country is missing/added to it. Having the same countries mapped per year gets us rid of that variable.

Most violence in society is from conflicts where said violence is condoned. Irrelevance here would be ignoring the biggest source of violence-related deaths for humans (wars). Homicide rates obviously go down as legal measures get more effective. Noted by all the countries that show a decline in your own source.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

statistically challenged people, I swear!

:rolleyes:

Edited by kami12, 18 August 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#37 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

All truths are relative in so far as there are no absolute truths

And we have a winner :)

#38 8143FF763271

8143FF763271
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

And we have a winner :)

So? What's your answer? That there shouldn't be arguments? :lol2:

I agree there's something epistemologically flawed with the convictions and conceptualism of human beings, but we do posses logic (which is a closed system) and we do posses the senses to appreciate the evidence put forward a claim. That's enough to allow debates to happen. I agree that "vague" terms shouldn't be brought up in argument as different people are to define them differently but if we define them as an operational phenomenon (such as X number of people killed or Y rate of bodily injury caused by another), then it is a perfectly debatable subject- so long as every side of the argument accepts the evidence as valid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users