Photo

The ethics of cheating on Neopets

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#76 Demothesis

Demothesis
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Cheating in games always lowers the experience for the legitimate players. When we AB, the people that actually restock legitimately are at a huge disadvantage, so in a way, we are actually harming others.

#77 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

this probably isn't the best place to ask this question anyway tbh

#78 Xarieste

Xarieste
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

As long as there has been competition, there has been technology to aid in eliminating more trivial parts of competition. So to use programs like they offer here, you simply take out the trivial nature of Neopets and keep it social and fun like you want it. Some of us don't want to waste our life, but enjoy the game enough to play anyway and want to have nice things as well.

#79 andyhoi

andyhoi
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Autobuying is annoying, but I'm not gonna lie and say I'm not considering do it. If I made the profits some of you guys made I'd have a lot more of the things I want in neopets. Hell I could even set ambrosia to only buy gallery items. Man I need a good alt account.

#80 kittenxx

kittenxx
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

The way I see it, its more about leveling the playing field more than harming others. Say you've got a slow computer or very limited time, you're only catching up to others who have fast connections and can be on all the time.

#81 baseball93

baseball93
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Fail.

It does not hurt another to use an autoplayer, then what is the value in an achievement, what is the value in an accomplishment. 

The value in an accomplishment is derived from within. Especially in the case of neopets. You're given jpegs of trophies and integers stored in a few variables on neopets, but at the end of the day, nothing you do on the site is something you can show the world and act like you've achieved something. You've played too much of a sort of videogame, congratulations, it sure is cool that you live such a life that you can afford such time and energy into something leisurely like that. It hasn't done much, if any, real positive good or change for the better in the world or to others. At most you can rationalize your patronage as a ridiculously small fraction of the reasons why a small group of people have jobs. 

#82 Dois

Dois
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hmmm. I used to be dead set against Abers, but after being so frustrated with ridiculously fast "ppl" beating me in shops, I turned to the dark side.

Same with me.
I was totally enraged the first time I saw neocodex... A few months later I'm joining the site

#83 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I was totally enraged the first time I saw neocodex...

We're not that bad, are we? :(

#84 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

If ya can't best 'em, join 'em xD

#85 Jennie

Jennie
  • COSMIC MANGO LORD

• 31 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Cheating in games always lowers the experience for the legitimate players. When we AB, the people that actually restock legitimately are at a huge disadvantage, so in a way, we are actually harming others.

I look at it as keeping them alert & on their toes :p

#86 blackmanx

blackmanx
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

I never cared for ABing simply because I never had the patience to do it legitly in the first place.

I do however have a problem with Score Sender. If I already got the trophy it's okay but when I'm trying to get a trophy on the first day of the month and I see half the spots taken by scores that aren't even possible to get I do get a little mad.

Off the top of my head I think I missed the Faerie Bubble trophy 3 times cause of people using score sender.

Basically if other people's cheating doesn't effect me I don't really care what they do.

#87 SuperDuperPuppu

SuperDuperPuppu
  • 148 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

As the ration b/tw cheaters to legitimate players increases, then the game stops being sustainable. Think about it. Legitimate players are needed to keep the game running. Who else would be all these low margin profits items, like faerie quest items?

W/o the existence of people buying these items, neopets can't exist if people just trade high cost morphing potions and stamps.

W/ that being said, I don't have enough time to legitimate stock.

#88 Docshroomed

Docshroomed
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

I feel inclined to say that the "cheating is bad" arguments for neopets are null due to TNT's tendency to ban users who haven't violated any rules.

#89 maskill08

maskill08
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Never liked the idea of SS but like ABing. 

#90 krislox

krislox
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

I wouldn't cheat in games to get the highest scores or anything. I won't cheat if it hurts some people like that. I honestly just care about making money :p

#91 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

I think that as long as you are having fun, none matters. You have to take that silly notion that someone would feel bad because of using programs that benefit you out of your head.

#92 Amie

Amie
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

This would be unethical if it involved something that actually mattered (ie not a videogame). I never really considered ABing unethical because it uses human refresh rates and times. If I was a thirteen-year-old with hours to spare then I'd probably get the same result manually as I do with Abrosia. And there are plenty such thirteen-year-olds out there. So I consider it levelling the playing field.

tl;dr - if you're getting a program to do something you could do yourself, it's not unethical from a personal point of view.

It might unbalance the game, but the game is designed to make you spend hours and hours grinding to earn virtual points. So TNT isn't exactly being fair here either.

#93 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Can we get Coltom back please :(

#94 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Can we get Coltom back please :(

We sold him to the US government for 3 shiny beads. :/

#95 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

We sold him to the US government for 3 shiny beads. :/

and a barrel of oil.

#96 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

and a barrel of oil.

Nope, just the beads, we didn't think it was fair to ask for anything more than that.

#97 SweetBunneh

SweetBunneh
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Ijust read half of this topic ... Why there is drama 

#98 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Idk if coltom is currently keeping up with this thread; however I would pose the rebuttal:

Over a decade ago, my orig. account was iced, because someone who had hacked an account (whom I did now know), sent me an item which was stolen. TNT assumed me to be the hacker, and I lost 4 years or so of legitimate work. Fast forward to the present day; given the items I had on my old account, my old pet, etc.; I'm still behind where I would have been if I hadn't been iced. Heck, I had 8 "desk lamp's", none of which are even currently in existence. I used to be one hell of a restocker, until TNT added in security measures which added in extra steps, making the lag time on my old 56k internet connection even longer. Not only was I cheated out of fairly gained items, np, and my pets, but they took away my ability to legitimately rebuild.

For me, it was never me against every other player, competing to see who is better. It was me against the site, seeing how far I could progress. Heck, if any of the legit players are jealous of the things I have (which are fairly modest), I suppose I might remind them not to covet their neighbors goods.

Just my two cents. And for the record, I enjoy our conversations coltom. Although, I will say that other (female) members here at codex have mentioned that you said some pretty creepy stuff to them. If this is not true, then you have been defamed. If this is true, then maybe worrying about players cheating on an online game that has no real bearing in the real world should be the least of your concerns.

#99 thefish

thefish
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

i missed all the fun :(

#100 swuggology

swuggology
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

lol this is funny

0 user(s) are reading this topic