• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#26 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

I feel like a certain person is troll baiting people into arguments just to get to 500 posts faster instead of actually contributing something positive to the forum.

500 posts doesn't matter anymore.

#27 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

I feel like a certain person is troll baiting people into arguments just to get to 500 posts faster

Jeez. I'm having a slow week.

Edited by Napiform, 22 August 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#28 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

I feel like a certain person is troll baiting people into arguments just to get to 500 posts faster instead of actually contributing something positive to the forum. The ignore feature doesn't really work considering you can still see their posts when people quote them, but I still attempt to restrain myself and not say anything because this person has made it glaringly obvious that facts and tact do not matter. It's a waste of time. That's why I've attempted to go out and make more threads that people can participate in over arguing with a blatant troll.

500 posts gives them no benefit. Unless they like editing the database, which I doubt. :/

#29 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Category: ways to ensure rep abuse

Maybe not auto then, but still if someone somehow manages to get their rep down that low that quickly it should definitely be considered :unsure: It'd be pretty clear if someone was just abusing it to get them banned, I'm sure you could just look up what posts of theirs got -repped or who was -repping them constantly!

#30 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

500 posts gives them no benefit. Unless they like editing the database, which I doubt. :/

I am actually concerned he may go in and really screw up prices just to be an ass. It was something I was thinking about last night.

#31 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Again, ignore list. It will be like he's not even there. And like I said, he will get himself in trouble.

Hidden posts can be quoted by other people :(

#32 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Again, ignore list. It will be like he's not even there. And like I said, he will get himself in trouble.

I am just giving my input ♥ *pokes*

I know my warning was due to my behavior, I just think I would have behaved differently without him antagonizing ;)

#33 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

A lot of people have suggested banning people like kami12 who cause unrest in the community. This is my opinion on this:

He is going to screw up and get warned, if he even sticks around. Eventually he will get banned from his own actions. We don't need to pre-emptively ban him. And if he straightens up and doesn't get any more warns, all the better.

#34 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Ban him please. =) You should set to ignore his posts on your control panel. Strat told me this and probably others.

#35 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yeah to get someone down to that low of a rep that quickly would have to take some serious patience and planning. I'd like to think that no one actually cares enough to do that. But at the same time ignoring blatant trolling seems to be the easiest option. You can tell if you compare their earlier posts to their current ones that they're fake. I bet those pictures are fake too.

#36 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

I am actually concerned he may go in and really screw up prices just to be an ass. It was something I was thinking about last night.

He would definitely be banned if he did that.

#37 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

He would definitely be banned if he did that.

I understand that aspect of it clearly but I mean he could seriously cause some real damage to our database if he felt so inclined.

#38 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hidden posts can be quoted by other people :(

Not to mention there's a little button just right there that says x post is hidden, wanna view it? It's kind of tempting to click when you're in one of those threads~
Getting rid of that + somehow hiding their posts in quotes would be good! Not sure how that would work though

#39 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

I understand that aspect of it clearly but I mean he could seriously cause some real damage to our database if he felt so inclined.

We keep records of all price edits so they could be easily fixed. ;)

#40 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hey Scot, what is OVH Systems, I've never heard of it...that's an insane download and upload.

Massive UK datacenter with vps and dedicated solutions for your commercial or private use.

#41 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

I Think it's best to just ban the troll/take away their forum/PM/etc access and move on :p That's going to happen if someone is trying to rile people up, they want you to post that kinda thing, and if that's happening then it should just be stopped right there and then~

I'd agree with taking away forum/PM/etc access,that way you don't have to ban anyone. They'd still be able to use the program manager and such though. And it doesn't have to be permanent, after a set amount of time (like for a first time thing, it could be just 10 days) they'd get access back. If it keeps happening, the time would increase (so from 10 days to 20 and then from 20 days to 40). I'd figure that if the time increased they'd stop doing it after a while because they want to keep having access to the forum/PM/ect. (especially if they're not doing anything that's exactly bannable)

Just my thoughts on that.

#42 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

A lot of people have suggested banning people like kami12 who cause unrest in the community. This is my opinion on this:

He is going to screw up and get warned, if he even sticks around. Eventually he will get banned from his own actions. We don't need to pre-emptively ban him. And if he straightens up and doesn't get any more warns, all the better.

I just think it's better that we follow a well-defined process with these sort of people. Otherwise, the definition of who needs to "go" and who needs to "stay" isn't really clear and you have a ban system where emotions and subjectivity come into play.

There's a guideline that iargue pointed out to us for the General Debate section: http://www.neocodex....ing-guidelines/

This will likely be revised and put into practice, since I think it was forgotten about.

#43 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I'm saying that everything was directly caused by a single persons actions, and as such, should something be done about this?

No, his actions did not cause anyone to do anything. The members who reacted violently to him did so of their own accord. He should not be punished for their actions, only for his own.

#44 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Either way, I think we'll be firmer on instances like this in the future and put our collective foot down with a firm hand.

#45 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

No, his actions did not cause anyone to do anything. The members who reacted violently to him did so of their own accord. He should not be punished for their actions, only for his own.

But if someone is clearly trying to get under other people's skin and mmm... encouraging? them to start reacting rudely to his posts just for laughs, then the the troll causing it all should be the one punished not the people who took the bait :s It happens on other forums too, where a kid starts similar shit, makes people's butts mad, they respond then they get punished while troll is just having a grand old time and laughing his butt off in the background!

#46 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

It happens on other forums too, where a kid starts similar shit, makes people's butts mad, they respond then they get punished while troll is just having a grand old time and laughing his butt off in the background!

He got warned twice, 20%. Temporary suspension. It's not like he is going unpunished.

I agree with Slink, he's going to keep doing this and get himself banned or adjust his behavior so he can stick around all in due time.

#47 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Judging from every single posts he's ever made, I don't see any behavior getting adjusted. This person made this account for trolling.

#48 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Then he will be banned soon enough since we have rules in place against trolling already.

Due time.

#49 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I will say, I never involved myself with the drama. Never read any of his threads, nothing. So I'm rather ignorant in terms of what was said, done, etc.

But quite honestly, seeing so many people comment on his negative rep should have been a red flag to the mods.

Glad I didn't see what went on. Still don't care to. I have enough real life drama, don't need petty online bullshit added to it. :p

#50 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Then he will be banned soon enough since we have rules in place against trolling already.

Due time.

Yes because obviously someone has been warned/banned due to that rule before.

And besides, waiting 30 days for the decay really isn't that bad of a trade-off for being able to blow some steam.

Edited by ChildPredator, 22 August 2012 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users