CodexSecret 4.0

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#176 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

You don't see the potential legal problems with Neocodex, a cheating forum for a kids game, directly referencing a website where paedophiles regularly send in confessions?

Frizzle will know, he's kind of a policeman and he's done policing studies.

#177 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

You're smarter than this.

No, I genuinely don't see what "legal problems" you are envisioning.

#178 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Not at all...

1D7FVcR.jpg

#179 Haliax

Haliax
  • 366 posts

Users Awards

Wow.

#180 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

I think there are idiots who will turn this into another Burn Book. So, I'm not really supporting the idea of reviving this, we have enough spineless jellyfish insulting people on Codex without giving them another place to be cowards. :p

#181 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

I can see where Dan is coming from. Legally there's probably not an issue but reputationally (I think I just made this word up but it seems to fit) it wouldn't look good.

#182 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

I think there are idiots who will turn this into another Burn Book. So, I'm not really supporting the idea of reviving this, we have enough spineless jellyfish insulting people on Codex without giving them another place to be cowards. :p

We could just not post the ones that are stupid and needlessly insulting.  If people want to be shitty, they can go to the Burn Book.

#183 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

I can see where Dan is coming from. Legally there's probably not an issue but reputationally (I think I just made this word up but it seems to fit) it wouldn't look good.

I just think a good lawyer could construe it as such.

Of course, we know that we're not all paedophiles, it's just important that the police know that that too.

#184 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

Frizzle will know, he's kind of a policeman and he's done policing studies.

I'm not up to date on American legislation. Although I can't imagine any criminal problems but civil liabilities may be an issue.

Of course, we know that we're not all paedophiles, it's just important that the police know that that too.

If you can find any relevant criminal offences, I'd be surprised.

#185 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

When I google "codex" a bunch of mumbo jumbo comes up. Neocodex is different from codex. Just like Abrosia is different from ambrosia. Totally different, guys.

#186 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Ok, but how, though?

Like, "I think a lawyer could probably do something bad with this, should someone ever feel the need to take this to court in some weird set of circumstances that are never ever going to arise" is not really a great reason not to do something.

#187 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

We could just not post the ones that are stupid and needlessly insulting.  If people want to be shitty, they can go to the Burn Book.

That's true, I suppose. I liked the CodexSecrets last time but that was before people hid behind anonymity to insult one anothers personal lives on the Burn Book. As long as it was actually used to reveal secrets about the user submitting it, I wouldn't mind so much.

#188 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

It probably wouldn't come back on Hydro anyway since the site is legally incorporated.

#189 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

I'm not up to date on American legislation. Although I can't imagine any criminal problems but civil liabilities may be an issue.

If you can find any relevant criminal offences, I'd be surprised.

IANAL so am not qualified to comment on what is and isn't a relevant criminal offence.

I just think it could bring some unwanted attention to Neocodex. If someone reported this to the police, I'm sure it would be investigated seriously.

#190 Haliax

Haliax
  • 366 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Just to reiterate: Wow.

I missed the glory years!

#191 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

But yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to allow the ones themed around paedophilia (even if they are intended to be humorous).

#192 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

It wouldn't come back on Hydro anyway since the site is legally incorporated.

Regardless of who it 'comes back' on, we shouldn't be linked to this kind of content, in any way, IMO

Ok, but how, though?

Like, "I think a lawyer could probably do something bad with this, should someone ever feel the need to take this to court in some weird set of circumstances that are never ever going to arise" is not really a great reason not to do something.

I would feel completely comfortable with reporting a website where paedophiles post their confessions to the police. Wouldn't you do the same thing? Did you not consider doing just that when you received those secrets? 

#193 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

IANAL so am not qualified to comment on what is and isn't a relevant criminal offence.

I just think it could bring some unwanted attention to Neocodex. If someone reported this to the police, I'm sure it would be investigated seriously.

wut

#194 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

wut

(I am not a lawyer)

#195 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

But yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to allow the ones themed around paedophilia (even if they are intended to be humorous).

I can second this.
Sweeney and Nymh could always just reject those entries.

#196 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

I would feel completely comfortable with reporting a website where paedophiles post their confessions to the police. Wouldn't you do the same thing? Did you not consider doing just that when you received those secrets?

Obviously not.
None of the confessions on the blog are prosecutable.

#197 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Again, these are all civil liabilities. At most the FBI would subpoena the site and track some IPs but then again they have very little international power.

#198 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

(I am not a lawyer)

oh ok. thought autocorrect got you.

#199 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

oh ok. thought autocorrect got you.

Be honest. You saw what you wanted to see, and what you saw was anal.

#200 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

Doesn't this always just degenerate into silliness incredibly quickly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users