• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I figured that's what was meant.
I've found that southerners are the most welcoming people I've ever met. Most obnoxious people I've encountered stateside are the northerners to be honest.

You are white though. :p

#27 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

I reckon it depends on which part of Australia you end up in.  A friend of mine living in a dodgier area got egged and yelled at on numerous occasions, but my experience here has been mostly positive. Even the drunkards that I've met were friendly! I can recall only one incident when I got called a 'fckin Asian' when I was passing by a pub. But I think that one incident out of the many years that I've been here is acceptable. It takes all sorts to make a world. :p

I took them by surprise when I went on vacation. Since I'm white I blended in, but it was only for a short time until it was 30 degrees out and I was walking around in my shorts and t-shirt while the locals were freezing their asses off in their sweaters.

I never knew I could get looked at funny for such a thing until then.

#28 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

You are white though. :p

Who said that? Are you sure?

#29 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Who said that? Are you sure?

Waser knows all

#30 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Waser knows all

He knows a lot, but not all ;)

#31 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

I bet if he tried he could find a lot of scary shit.

Being on staff with Waser is horrifying.

#32 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

So you're not white?

#33 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

She looks white, but technically she IS a foreigner. Just good fortune she's a native English speaker. It's a lot harder to tell a Brit in America to learn the language or gtfo.

#34 Hydrange

Hydrange
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Still not sure if they made an error with the japanese data

Picture%205-64.jpg

Japanese-only-71232969427.jpeg

3802570292_dc0c2fac15_z.jpg

#35 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Still not sure if they made an error with the japanese data

Although there is still rampant xenophobia throughout the country, the younger generations are beginning to like foreigners more.

It really doesn't help that so many tourists go over there without knowing any Japanese at all and expect to get help when they get themselves in trouble.

#36 xintervine

xintervine
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hey fellow singaporean here, I don't really think that we are xenophobic? Sure, given all the recent furore there's bound to be some degree of it, but.. it doesn't seem too bad. It's more of a disagreement about our country's direction and I for one am glad that more of us are standing for what we believe in.

Anyway, on to the subject.... sorry US but i think that there should be some red areas there. especially in the more conservative areas

I'm originally from Singapore. I'd say we're very multicultural. I mean, we have the main races of Chinese, Malays, Indians & Europeans, but I see lots of 'Ang mohs' everywhere now  and people love them xD Look at the hawker stall Aunty she'd be grinning from ear to ear if a handsome Ang Moh walks up to her shop to buy something.

I'd just say that we can be a little racist towards the Indians/Malays if you're Chinese or vice versa. But I always think that it is just a case of racial pride :p I'm Chinese Singaporean and I don't hate any other races. I think that Malays dress really well and Indians are freakin smart B)

#37 verano

verano
  • 116 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I took them by surprise when I went on vacation. Since I'm white I blended in, but it was only for a short time until it was 30 degrees out and I was walking around in my shorts and t-shirt while the locals were freezing their asses off in their sweaters.

I never knew I could get looked at funny for such a thing until then.

Did you mean 20 degrees? I've not seen anyone wearing a sweater when it's 30 degrees(Celcius). :p

#38 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Did you mean 20 degrees? I've not seen anyone wearing a sweater when it's 30 degrees(Celcius). :p

Oh it hovered around 30 a couple days and it still happened. Trust me, I was as confused as you would be.

#39 Milodar

Milodar
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

I've heard that a lot of places don't like American tourists.

I haven't been overseas, but I can personally vouch that Canadians have been nothing but the nicest people I've ever met the few times I've been there. Doesn't surprise me that they're rated highest.

#40 verano

verano
  • 116 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

Oh it hovered around 30 a couple days and it still happened. Trust me, I was as confused as you would be.

Woah.. Which part of Aus were you in?

#41 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

Woah.. Which part of Aus were you in?

Probably the East Coast ;)

#42 Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

waait theres no way ppl would be freezing in 30C, thats so hot!

even 20 degrees is considered 'cool' o.o

#43 Mikali

Mikali
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Aren't they hot?  I've walked around in 10-15 in a t-shirt and jeans, but maybe that's cause I'm from Canada lol

#44 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Aren't they hot? I've walked around in 10-15 in a t-shirt and jeans, but maybe that's cause I'm from Canada lol

They're used to much hotter weather all time, so when it dips down a little too low they feel chilly. Of course us Canadians just die in the heat regardless.

#45 Mikali

Mikali
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

They're used to much hotter weather all time, so when it dips down a little too low they feel chilly. Of course us Canadians just die in the heat regardless.

Tell me about it.  I go back to Taiwan every summer, which is when the temperature hits 40.  My mom doesn't understand why I have the air con at 16, since that's "winter" weather for them

#46 Jiayu

Jiayu
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

China absolutely loves [white] foreigners. People would stop and ask to take pictures with me at tourist attractions. It's also because there are few native speakers to practice English with, so if you're willing many people will want to be friends with you just to take advantage of it.

#47 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Tell me about it.  I go back to Taiwan every summer, which is when the temperature hits 40.  My mom doesn't understand why I have the air con at 16, since that's "winter" weather for them

Winter weather or not, having the AC at 16 is just unusual.  :huh:

#48 smartlove31

smartlove31
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

I agree. Gernally, this is true.

#49 xkhaleesi

xkhaleesi
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

Australia should not be blue lol I think its hard to come by a population more racist :p - not everyone obviously, but in Sydney people can be pretty unwelcoming from what I've witnessed (I was born here).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users