Angelina Jolie undergoes Double Mastectomy

boobs merica

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 vaxinas

vaxinas
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

I'm sorry, but I think it's irresponsible. If you have a high chance of breast cancer, you go in every year to get checked. You don't just get them lopped off and then expect to be a savior.

#27 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

I'm sorry, but I think it's irresponsible. If you have a high chance of breast cancer, you go in every year to get checked. You don't just get them lopped off and then expect to be a savior.

So you'd prefer the possibility of a cancer developing for up to a year than pro-actively removing that possibility almost entirely? I'm not sure why you think she did it to be a 'savior'...

#28 Jiayu

Jiayu
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

So you'd prefer the possibility of a cancer developing for up to a year than pro-actively removing that possibility almost entirely? I'm not sure why you think she did it to be a 'savior'...

Exactly. She had about an 80% chance of getting breast cancer. It was more likely to happen than not. I don't see anyone calling her a savior. We're giving her credit for making a difficult decision in the interest of her health.

#29 LegitRSer

LegitRSer
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Poor Boobies D: But She Did It For Her Health, So Good For Her

#30 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl šŸŒ›

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like you're jelly of Angelina. You can always keep your wo/man boobs, but don't expect your ignorant, uneducated opinion to change the minds of people who actually value their health, their families and their peace of mind enough to undergo a potentially life-saving procedure. I've seen enough relatives die, thankfully my mom didn't, and I would "lob" mine off in a heartbeat if I tested positive and if the probability of getting breast cancer was high. I'd take that over the chemo any day, thanks. Sounds like you need to visit some cancer patients.

#31 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Sounds like you're jelly of Angelina. You can always keep your wo/man boobs, but don't expect your ignorant, uneducated opinion to change the minds of people who actually value their health, their families and their peace of mind enough to undergo a potentially life-saving procedure. I've seen enough relatives die, thankfully my mom didn't, and I would "lob" mine off in a heartbeat if I tested positive and if the probability of getting breast cancer was high. I'd take that over the chemo any day, thanks. Sounds like you need to visit some cancer patients.

Amen. Too many people die from this disease every year and I too, have had relatives/friends diagnosed with it (and sadly pass away). I'm sure that if they had the chance to find out whether or not their probability of contracting breast cancer was high, they would've done the same.

#32 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl šŸŒ›

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Amen. Too many people die from this disease every year and I too, have had relatives/friends diagnosed with it (and sadly pass away). I'm sure that if they had the chance to find out whether or not their probability of contracting breast cancer was high, they would've done the same.

Sorry Strat :( I'm hoping too that the cost of the testing will be reduced to allow the average person to get screened.

#33 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

I think it's less irresponsible than cutting off like... a leg to get disability or something.

#34 idontknow951

idontknow951
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

I think it's less irresponsible than cutting off like... a leg to get disability or something.

Well if you had cancer in your leg, wouldn't you rather chop it off than have it spread?

#35 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well if you had cancer in your leg, wouldn't you rather chop it off than have it spread?

This is going to make me sound really irresponsible, but I'm a 'pray the pain away' kind of girl.

It would honestly depend on how much I would have to see the dr for one over the other.

#36 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

This is going to make me sound really irresponsible, but I'm a 'pray the pain away' kind of girl.

Then you're an idiot.

#37 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Safe to say that someone else lopping off their body parts has zero impact on me, so regardless of reason she's free to do as she pleases with her body.

Whether or not I'd decide to remove a part of my own body would depend on my quality of life before and after the procedure.

#38 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

My grandma is battling breast cancer right now, so If I found out I'd be at risk too I wouldn't doubt for a minute. I find it pretty sickening that society thinks you'd be less of a woman without them. There are so many other ways to show your femininity...

I have great respect for that woman, not only didn't she care what the mass would've thought, she chose her family before her image and fame.

Now that's a role-model!

And the comments of yearly checkups, that's ludicrous. Because my grandma went EVERY year, and out of the blue she's diagnosed with stage 2 cancer. 

Edited by liesa, 26 June 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#39 jonvj

jonvj
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

Considering she did it for her kids, and that it's her own body, I don't understand why it is any of our business. She did it to save her children the suffering of growing up without a mother. 

#40 cashmereoxford

cashmereoxford
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Treatment for cancer is tricky and we know that the best cure is preventing it all together, in that way masectomy was a good idea-but I think the article overinflates our knowledge of the gene connected to cancer. Yes theres a higer risk but you could argue against such a drastic surgery- all depends on how much you put into looks vs. adding extra years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boobs, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users