Quantcast

Photo

Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

abortion pro-life pro-choice womens rights debate

• Please log in to reply
478 replies to this topic

Poll: Pro-Life or Pro-Choice? (189 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Alright. I'm curious to know what you guys think about the matter. To start off, let us have some definitions of what some terms mean. I will try to make my definition sources as unbias as possible.

Abortion:

• the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy.
  • the expulsion of a fetus from the uterus by natural causes before it is able to survive independently.
  • Biology the arrest of the development of an organ, typically a seed or fruit. 
Pro-Choice:
advocating legalized abortion

Pro-Life:
opposing abortion and euthanasia

What are your opinions on the matter, and why?

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

I've never understood why, despite so many people proclaiming to be pro-life, so many kids are left unwanted in the adoption system. If they're so keen on children I would have thought they'd be willing to do something positive about it like changing the life of a young person.

#3 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

America:

Pro life- until you're born. Then F' you. (Children who need things like WIC, or heath care because they have a defect. Nope too bad, not helping you.)

That's how I see them. 

How does someone having an abortion affect the pro-lifers? It's not their issue, they're not deciding to have one. It really doesn't affect them, if some woman a state away has an abortion.

Here's my stance:  GET THE HELL OUT OF MY VAGINA. IT'S MY VAGINA, I CAN DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT. (Uterus...vagina.)

Edited by Satsuki, 03 August 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#4 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm pro-choice, pro-access to comprehensive sex education and pro-access to contraceptives. These things are proven to give people a better quality of life and when people have a better quality of life they'll have kids if and when they want to. 

#5 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

http://www.neocodex....98825-abortion/

If you don't want a child, you should probably: stay away from sex or use whatever protection necessary. It's not the babies fault you were negligent with your body. I also don't think that just because a 'fetus' is less than 28 weeks old that 'it' is not alive. 

If you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to accept the responsibility of caring for a child and doing it the right way. 

#6 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

I found an old thread on this: http://www.neocodex....98825-abortion/

If anyone wants to read though it.

And...I've been Ninja'd.

Edited by Satsuki, 03 August 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

I found an old thread on this: http://www.neocodex....98825-abortion/

If anyone wants to read though it.

And...I've been Ninja'd.

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-Combo breakerrr xD

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

http://www.neocodex....98825-abortion/

If you don't want a child, you should probably: stay away from sex or use whatever protection necessary. It's not the babies fault you were negligent with your body. I also don't think that just because a 'fetus' is less than 28 weeks old that 'it' is not alive. 

If you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to accept the responsibility of caring for a child and doing it the right way. 

You don't believe in abortion in any circumstance?

#9 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

As long as there is a limit on the number of abortions someone is permitted, I'm fine with it.

(I don't like the idea of a woman having multiple [3+] abortions since they may increase the chance of maternal death, cause uteral scarring and cervical incompetence.)

Then again, most women don't have that many so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure he's referencing women having abortions due to them not using protection/contraceptives.

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

I used to be very adamantly pro-choice. I recently (within this past week) saw a pictography of an abortion and now I'm waffley. I don't really understand why euthanasia is lumped in with abortion though. What does me believing certain adults should be allowed to die have to do with fetuses?

I'm pro-choice, pro-access to comprehensive sex education and pro-access to contraceptives. These things are proven to give people a better quality of life and when people have a better quality of life they'll have kids if and when they want to.

I'm very pro-contraceptive for the people who want it.

I've never understood why, despite so many people proclaiming to be pro-life, so many kids are left unwanted in the adoption system. If they're so keen on children I would have thought they'd be willing to do something positive about it like changing the life of a young person.

In spite of my kind of pro-choice stance, I would love to either adopt kids or be a foster parent. I can't do either due to my current life circumstances and I'm sure that applies to more people than just me.

#11 Teru

Teru
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

This would be avoided if there wasn't immature sluts spreading their legs all over town not using proper protection.

Edited by Teru, 03 August 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#12 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

This would be avoided if there wasn't immature sluts spreading their legs all over town and not using proper protection.

That is gross over-simplification and generalization.

What about rape victims? Incest or cases where the mother's life is in jeopardy?

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

As long as there is a limit on the number of abortions someone is permitted, I'm fine with it.

(I don't like the idea of a woman having multiple [3+] abortions since they may increase the chance of maternal death, cause uteral scarring and cervical incompetence.)

Then again, most women don't have that many so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure he's referencing women having abortions due to them not using protection/contraceptives.

So since *you* don't like the idea of multiple abortions, they shouldn't be allowed to have them? As long as the risks are understood, I can't see any difference between a woman having one or thirty. I would think they'd have a hard time finding a doctor to perform subsequent ones after a certain point, since the doctor wouldn't want to risk having an abortion related death in their history.

#14 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Unfortunately abortion also has a big grey area. I believe that consensual sex between a man and a woman should not be grounds for an abortion. Like I stated, if you're responsible enough to have sex, you should also responsible enough to care for a child.

Now comes the grey area, and it pertains to whether or not the baby and/or the mother will die due to complications from/during childbirth. I feel that in a situation where one or both lives are at risk, then the mother should have the choice of what she wants to do, keep the baby or terminate the pregnancy. I am however very unsure of how I feel about abortions in the case of rape. I could not imagine what a rape victim goes through, especially knowing that they've become pregnant by the perpetrator. To be reminded of their rape every day for the rest of their lives would just be too much for me to bear. So I guess if it really comes down to it, if my wife were raped and became pregnant, I'd stand by whatever decision she wanted to make.

Edited by Adam, 03 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#15 Teru

Teru
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

That is gross over-simplification and generalization.

What about rape victims? Incest or cases where the mother's life is in jeopardy?

Im pro choice in those horrible cases :)

#16 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunately abortion also has a big grey area. I believe that consensual sex between a man and a woman should not be grounds for an abortion. Like I stated, if you're responsible enough to have sex, you should also responsible enough to care for a child.

Now comes the grey area, and it pertains to whether or not the baby and/or the mother will die due to complications from/during childbirth. I feel that in a situation where one or both lives are at risk, then the mother should have the choice of what she wants to do, keep the baby or terminate the pregnancy. I am however very unsure of how I feel about abortions in the case of rape. I could not imagine what a rape victim goes through, especially knowing that they've become pregnant by the perpetrator. To be reminded of their rape every day for the rest of their lives would just be too much for me to bear. So I guess if it really comes down to it, if my wife were raped and became pregnant, I'd stand by whatever decision she wanted to make.

So... pro-choice then?

#17 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

So since *you* don't like the idea of multiple abortions, they shouldn't be allowed to have them? As long as the risks are understood, I can't see any difference between a woman having one or thirty. I would think they'd have a hard time finding a doctor to perform subsequent ones after a certain point, since the doctor wouldn't want to risk having an abortion related death in their history.

Let's start with one fact:

I'm a guy. For the most part, my opinion is irrelevant since I cannot even begin to understand the dynamics of a pregnancy (emotional, physical and psychological).

I do not believe that unlimited non-vital (in most cases) procedures should be allowed if they may kill the person receiving them.

#18 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

So... pro-choice then?

If you're having consensual sex with someone, and you get pregnant, then no you should not be allowed to abort. If this is the case, I'd classify myself as pro-life.

If any of the previously mentioned situations [pregnancy complications and/or rape] apply to a woman, then yes I guess I'd be pro-choice.

Edited by Adam, 03 August 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#19 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Let's start with one fact:
I'm a guy. For the most part, my opinion is irrelevant since I cannot even begin to understand the dynamics of a pregnancy (emotional, physical and psychological).

I do not believe that unlimited non-vital (in most cases) procedures should be allowed if they may kill the person receiving them.

It does matter. You're half the cause of a pregnancy.

Are you also against excessive plastic surgery then too?

#20 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

It does matter. You're half the cause of a pregnancy.

Are you also against excessive plastic surgery then too?

I may be the cause, but I'm not the one that has to carry a fetus inside of them for 9 months.
So..maybe I account for 0.005% or the decision.

If there was an established link between receiving multiple cosmetic procedures and death, then yes. I am opposed to multiple plastic surgeries.

I don't like the idea of equating a boob job to aborting a fetus however.

#21 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Honestly, who am I to judge? I do having a working reproductive system that can birth children, but I'm young, which is why I'm waiting to have sex until I can buy contraceptives consistantly, and not have to worry about any little Mishas running around. I think a woman has the right to choose whether to end her pregnancy, but I also believe she has the same right to keep the baby if that is what she wants. It's really all up to the mother, since while it's baby at stake, it can also be the mother's life at stake.

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

I may be the cause, but I'm not the one that has to carry a fetus inside of them for 9 months.
So..maybe I account for 0.005% or the decision.

If there was an established link between receiving multiple cosmetic procedures and death, then yes. I am opposed to multiple plastic surgeries.

I don't like the idea of equating a boob job to aborting a fetus however.

If your opinion doesn't matter in something as important as life, then what does it matter for?

Multiple procedures
Mercer said risks are significantly increased in patients who have multiple procedures at the same time. Having breast reduction, a tummy tuck and facelift in combination could require a six-hour operation, increasing the risk of DVT, lung infection, or major blood loss.

Honestly, who am I to judge?

I feel like I can disagree with an opinion without judging. It's one thing to be like oh, yeah... I don't believe in abortion and a whole other thing to bring filthy sluts into it.

Edited by Napiosaurus, 03 August 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#23 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

If your opinion doesn't matter in something as important as life, then what does it matter for?

I feel like I can disagree with an opinion without judging.

I think what Ivysaur means is, while he might have opinions on the matter, seeing how he isn't carrying the baby, or at risk for this, he shouldn't have much say on the matter. Am I right with that?

#24 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Honestly, who am I to judge? I do having a working reproductive system that can birth children, but I'm young, which is why I'm waiting to have sex until I can buy contraceptives consistantly, and not have to worry about any little Mishas running around. I think a woman has the right to choose whether to end her pregnancy, but I also believe she has the same right to keep the baby if that is what she wants. It's really all up to the mother, since while it's baby at stake, it can also be the mother's life at stake.

That's what I believe too. The state of the system that I live in doesn't give a shit about women who chose to keep their children and that needs to be fixed. We don't have affordable child care, we don't have affordable healthcare,  we barely get any paid maternity leave, they're cutting any financial/food assistance that people can get, and dismantling the social safety net that women could use if they wanted to have a kid but need help. Same thing with foster care, I know kids who grew up in foster care growing up with ripped up shoes, dirty hand me downs, and no school supplies because the system doesn't get enough funding to keep up with the kids literally growing up in the system. All of it needs to be addressed really.

Edited by Mishelle, 03 August 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

I think what Ivysaur means is, while he might have opinions on the matter, seeing how he isn't carrying the baby, or at risk for this, he shouldn't have much say on the matter. Am I right with that?

I would think it'd be emotionally damaging to a man to make a baby with a woman and then have her tell him his opinion doesn't matter because he isn't carrying it and then go have it removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users