Quantcast

Photo

What social movement(s) have meant the most to you?

society growth movement

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

The world is always changing, some people are fortunate enough to have those changes benefit, and others aren't so fortunate. What, in your lifetime whether positive or not, has been the most meaningful social revolution/movement? Was the African-American Civil Rights Movement of 1955-68 the most meaningful social revolution? Maybe you were empowered by the first woman being elected into the Supreme Court in 1981? Was Massachusetts being the first state to legalize same sex marriage the first glimmer of hope? The list could go on, but please share the movement/revolution that means the most to you.

#2 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

a) Why is this in chit-chat?

b) Events/milestones =/= social movements/revolutions

#3 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

b) Events/milestones =/= social movements/revolutions

Okay then, what events and/or milestones has society reached which you have benefited from?

#4 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Whatever do you mean? *blink*

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Okay then, what events and/or milestones has society reached which you have benefited from?

All of them :D

#6 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

KONY 2012

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Probably when the Pilgrims landed.

#8 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

The Affordable Care Act. As someone who works in a pharmacy, I have seen it's effects first hand. It has been eliminating waste and insurance fraud for years. It has quietly benefited millions of Americans for years. It will continue to benefit millions of Americans as more provisions roll out. And every single fucking day I get to hear some ignoramus go on a rant about how Obamacare has ruined everything because their copay for their medication went up 30 cents since last year.

#9 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

From my very limited personal frame of reference, the Supreme Court's decision on DOMA sticks out. Because it means that, even for those who live in the less civilized parts of America, gay relationships will be acknowledged on at least some level of the government. So fuck you, Michigan et al!

#10 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

the only social movement that i know is walking to my laptop and chat with my online friends.

#11 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

None. I'm rich, white, male and aged between 18-45. I'm also straight and in a position of authority. Social movements only affect the afflicted and down-trodden which I have never been.

Now where's my tiny violin? 

#12 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

The Affordable Care Act. As someone who works in a pharmacy, I have seen it's effects first hand. It has been eliminating waste and insurance fraud for years. It has quietly benefited millions of Americans for years. It will continue to benefit millions of Americans as more provisions roll out. And every single fucking day I get to hear some ignoramus go on a rant about how Obamacare has ruined everything because their copay for their medication went up 30 cents since last year.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO PAY $25 DOLLARS? I PAID NOTHING LAST TIME!"

"Maam, I'm looking at the history on what you've paid before on this medication...the last 3 times you have paid $25. In fact, last month, 30 days ago, you got a month supply and paid $25 dollars on (insert date here), I can print it out if you don't believe me."

"Oh, nevermind, here's $25, just give me my medicine."

"Thank you and have a nice day." (fuck be well)

#13 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO PAY $25 DOLLARS? I PAID NOTHING LAST TIME!"

"Maam, I'm looking at the history on what you've paid before on this medication...the last 3 times you have paid $25. In fact, last month, 30 days ago, you got a month supply and paid $25 dollars on (insert date here), I can print it out if you don't believe me."

"Oh, nevermind, here's $25, just give me my medicine."

"Thank you and have a nice day." (fuck be well)

You don't know shit about customer service! The patient is never wrong!!

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO PAY $25 DOLLARS? I PAID NOTHING LAST TIME! THAT DAMN OBAMACARE."

"Really? That's odd. Let me take a look." *takes a long time, squinting at the screen* How weird. The computer shows this is your copay since last July. That's weird! What did you pay last time?"

"Let me try and remember. *takes a long time thinking* I don't remember. Well, I better take them, or I'll die." *pays $25*

"We sure wouldn't want that. Thank you and be well." *mindless eyes, robotic wave*

#14 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

6th wave Feminism. that is all.

#15 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Daddy used to work for an insurance company.  Do you know that insurance companies would explain to your employer why their group rate was higher than last year.  Well, it was because Employee John, Juan and Marta were "high utilization" employees.  If not for them, well, you'd have a much cheaper rate.

Bye bye, John,  Bye bye Juan,  Adios Marta.     

I don't know much about Obamacare, but that RomneyCare that is sweeping the nation sounds like a dang good idea.  Imagine, a democrat like Barrak inacting a Republican plan!  

#16 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Daddy used to work for an insurance company.  Do you know that insurance companies would explain to your employer why their group rate was higher than last year.  Well, it was because Employee John, Juan and Marta were "high utilization" employees.  If not for them, well, you'd have a much cheaper rate.

I don't know much about Obamacare, but that RomneyCare that is sweeping the nation sounds like a dang good idea.  Imagine, a democrat like Barrak inacting a Republican plan!  

.. I'm not sure if you're being ironic.

At least spell our overlord Barack's name correctly. :p

#17 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

*squints*

#18 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

The 'adios Marta' bit is so racist!

#19 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

None. I'm rich, white, male and aged between 18-45. I'm also straight and in a position of authority. Social movements only affect the afflicted and down-trodden which I have never been.

Now where's my tiny violin? 

Wt2eRp6.gif

Since when were you rich anyway?

#20 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

The 'adios Marta' bit is so racist!

Hopefully they are trolling.

..badly trolling..

#21 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Wt2eRp6.gif

Since when were you rich anyway?

I drive a BMW and have a house. I'm richer than like..90% of the world's population and the whole of Blackburn put together.

#22 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

I was trying to be multicultural and picked a German name but I can't spell the German word for good-bye.  Sometimes it is hard  keeping up with the sense of humor here, but the other neopets places are about as exciting as a dead cat on Prozac.

Also to the person that drives a BMW.  Do you drive one or do you own one?   

Edited by morlock, 02 December 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#23 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

I was trying to be multicultural and picked a German name but I can't spell the German word for good-bye.  Sometimes it is hard  keeping up with the sense of humor here, but the other neopets places are about as exciting as a dead cat on Prozac.

I think it's spelled owf veederseen. I got a German friend somewhere (Germany) who can back this up.
I agree about the other Neopet places. Prozac is covered under Obamacare.

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

Also to the person that drives a BMW.  Do you drive one or do you own one?

He lives in the UK. We don't really do car leasing here.

#25 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

My German grandmother is dead or I would ask her.    I could ask my Creole grandmother but honestly I don't understand half the things she says.   She brings good donuts like things though.   Popeye's chicken is Cajun so don't tell Grand ma mae that I ever eat Cajun food.  Also don't ever tell her that  Mommy grows a little weed.  She wouldn't approve of that either.

I think the greatest social event is when we elect Hillary in 2016.  Although I won't get to vote for her until 2020.

Edited by morlock, 02 December 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: society, growth, movement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users