26 replies to this topic

#1 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

What's your opinion on cover versions?

To me there's nothing more frustrating than a bad cover. (Comfortably Numb in The Departed springs immediately to mind)

But at the same time, I think certain songs have been covered really well. (Land of Confusion - Disturbed, Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson) The original songs were great, but the cover versions are even better.

#2 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I have heard cover versions that are easily better than the original. I have a really broad taste in music but I tend to like covers of songs by pop artists more than the originals. For example. Roar - Katy Perry, I can't even stand the original of that, but the cover version by Alex G is beautiful. 

Same goes for pretty much any cover Alex G does.

#3 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

I have heard cover versions that are easily better than the original. I have a really broad taste in music but I tend to like covers of songs by pop artists more than the originals. For example. Roar - Katy Perry, I can't even stand the original of that, but the cover version by Alex G is beautiful. 

Same goes for pretty much any cover Alex G does.

I get really annoyed when classic rock songs get turned into bad pop songs.
I used to really enjoy ska covers as well, but then I started hearing some bad ones (OK a LOT of bad ones)

#4 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

I like covers that are, in a sense, distinctly different to their original counterpart. After all, whats the point in a cover thats pretty much the same as the original? For example, Steam Powered Giraffe's cover of Diamonds sounds like a completely different song to the original, and that's what makes it a good cover in my opinion.

Then again, its just my opinion ^^

#5 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

This version is infinitely better than the Bieber's original version.

More often than not original songs are better than cover versions, imo this seems to be the exception to the case.

#6 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

/thread

#7 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Covers can be great, especially when they reinterpret or take a new perspective on a song, but I'm tired of the generic, uninspired, mediocre acoustic/piano covers all over youtube. I'm looking at you, Piano Guys.

#8 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:20 AM

/thread

Johnny Cash is great, but he butchered Desperado. He really did slow it down too much. 

I think some songs, if you want to directly cover them are fine, but they shouldn't be messed with. 

#9 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:27 AM

Johnny Cash is great, but he butchered Desperado. He really did slow it down too much. 

I think some songs, if you want to directly cover them are fine, but they shouldn't be messed with. 

I lied yesterday sorry 

NlO8wf9.gif

You are dead

#10 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:32 AM

I lied yesterday sorry 

NlO8wf9.gif

You are dead

I thought as much. -_-

#11 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

i'm with @Bone. i love listening to covers which the singer reinterprets the song with his/her own style. this is one of my favourites. i'm not a nirvana's fan but the cover made me fall in love with the song!

Edited by Stuck, 15 January 2014 - 03:34 AM.

#12 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

i'm with @Bone. i love listening to covers which the singer reinterprets the song with his/her own style. this is one of my favourites. i'm not a nirvana's fan but the cover made me fall in love with the song!

I don't think she's done that much with the song, she obviously has a very different sound to Kurt Cobain, but I don't think she's actually changed too much. 

Downtown Train, Rod Stewart's version sounds so different to the original. 

#13 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:02 AM

I get really annoyed when classic rock songs get turned into bad pop songs.
I used to really enjoy ska covers as well, but then I started hearing some bad ones (OK a LOT of bad ones)

You would probably hate Punk Goes Classic Rock then.

I personally like covers if they're done well, especially if they're in the style that I like or in the style that I think the song should have been done. (Guilty pleasure - Justin Bieber's Beauty and a Beat but a cover by I don't know their names, but it's an awesome acoustic cover) I adore mashups for some reason, I don't know why. The latest cover I dislike though is Demi Levato's cover of Let It Go from Frozen. Her rendition just makes me sad.

#14 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

You would probably hate Punk Goes Classic Rock then.

I personally like covers if they're done well, especially if they're in the style that I like or in the style that I think the song should have been done. (Guilty pleasure - Justin Bieber's Beauty and a Beat but a cover by I don't know their names, but it's an awesome acoustic cover) I adore mashups for some reason, I don't know why. The latest cover I dislike though is Demi Levato's cover of Let It Go from Frozen. Her rendition just makes me sad.

I quite like the "Punk goes..." Stuff, as it's all (mostly) done well. 

Take "Me First and the Gimme Gimmes". They're a ska covers band. But they have maybe 20 great songs, and the rest are crap (kind of like Weird Al). Although I guess that can be said about quite a few bands who have made 9 albums :/ 

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

These are my favorite covers ever.

and there's another one I can't find right now. Just in general I don't care, but I will sing the version I like better over the version that happens to be playing, which some people find annoying.

#16 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#17 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

I am generally unwilling to listen to any Glee covers on principle.  Plus I usually don't like them because they sound like generic crap.  I'm trying to be more open-minded about them, though, because Joe has about 2034 of them in his music collection.

#18 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

I am generally unwilling to listen to any Glee covers on principle.  Plus I usually don't like them because they sound like generic crap.  I'm trying to be more open-minded about them, though, because Joe has about 2034 of them in his music collection.

How embarrassing.

#19 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

I like Tyler Ward's covers and some of Christina Grimmie's.

#20 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

These are my favorite covers ever.

and there's another one I can't find right now. Just in general I don't care, but I will sing the version I like better over the version that happens to be playing, which some people find annoying.

You have good taste in music!  :)

Edited by iKate, 15 January 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#21 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

and this one

Basically anything covered by Pentatonix is good IMO.

#22 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

some of my favorite cover songs: 

Spoiler

#23 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

and this one

Basically anything covered by Pentatonix is good IMO.

I never liked that Pentatonix cover, it always sounds over-harmonized to me. The reason the original is so interesting is its minimalism imo

#24 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

I never liked that Pentatonix cover, it always sounds over-harmonized to me. The reason the original is so interesting is its minimalism imo

Now that you mention it, I tend to agree with you there. They have their own 'unique' style of covering songs, sometimes just not as good as the original, whilst others are just as good if not, better than.

#25 Tubbz

Tubbz

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Some of these are just plain awesome :p 

I'll throw these 2 gems in there:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users