Quantcast

Photo

Wild Hair Contest #2 - VOTING

wildhair contest voting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Wild Hair Contest #2 - VOTING (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Which entry do you like best?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

THEME:  "Point of View"

:coolpics:

VOTING STARTS: NOW!

HOW TO VOTE: For anyone OTHER THAN yourself (sorry!)

VOTING ENDS: 7:00 PM NST Tuesday, January 21st

*There will be a day-long tiebreaker in the event that one is required.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Entry #3 has been disqualified due to concerns regarding its originality. I apologize for all of the drama and inconvenience that this has caused.

PLEASE recast your votes if you voted for #3!

Hint: When clicked, some of the images will be able to be viewed in their full glory. ;)

MEET THE ENTRANTS:

Spoiler

PRIZES:

$10 NC Card (Thank you, Kordelia!)

packages-0883974001343793150.png

Baby Paint Brush (donated by me)

babypaintbrush.gif

TROPHIES:

2qdbo02.jpg2vwsopf.pngvnjyix.png

(made by Kordelia)

#2 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

WOW, Musician, what a fabulous contest theme...these entries are fantastic!

#3 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

Voted for #5 because it made me chuckle comparing it to everything else...

#4 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Glad to see that most people are getting votes! ^_^

#5 Jam

Jam
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

7! Love the B&W..
I was going to submit one of my own pictures but I'm kinda glad I didn't cause it would look pathetically amateur against these xD

#6 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:45 AM

so many good ones! i don't know which one to vote for. :ohwell: #2 and #7 both seem great but i have no idea what they are.

Edited by Stuck, 17 January 2014 - 04:45 AM.

#7 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

It was difficult to choose, but I went with #2

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

I believe entry three is a stolen picture, I'm afraid.

My opinions:

Entry one is overexposed and overfiltered. Looks like the contrast has been bumped up so high that you can see the noise in the dark areas - which is crazy given the size of the image and the fact that it is of a light source. The ISO should be so low there is barely any noise at all.

Entry two is an interesting subject, I like the idea. It's not very well composed, though. The angles are off horizontal, but not dramatically composed, and the shadow on the near side of the spigot (?) could have been filled.

Three is, as I said, stolen. I believe.

Entry four is macro. I like macro, and I understand the temptation to center your subject, but that really only works when the subject is much, much bigger in the frame. The contrast is low also, and could probably have been improved with a UV filter, or easily in post-processing. The depth of field, for me, is a little too wide also. Narrowing that would have helped the bee "pop" more from the background.

Entry five is, again, overcontrasted in post. The composition gets off to a good start, with the optical illusion being placed along the right third, but the line of the road leads in the opposite direction and spoils the effect. The frame is too busy - I don't want to see the trees, or the power lines, or that car. Most of those could have been cropped out in-camera.

Entry six is pretty good. I love the negative space in the sky, which is perfectly uniform. The colour contrast with the yellow post is also excellent. Another photo where a UV filter may have helped boost the colours in-camera, just to give it a little extra contrast, along with a little fill light on the post. The high bar of the other lamp is distracting, too - if it was impossible to frame out, it might have been worth trying to remove it in Photoshop.

Entry seven is cool. I like the abstract-ness of it, but I can't tell what it is at all. For me, that doesn't mesh with the theme of the competition, although I may have missed the photographer's intention. The contrast between left and right is great, and it's an excellent example of where a centre-framing is appropriate.

Entry eight is kinda boring. It's a pretty good example of "out of the airplane window" pictures, as they go, but I wish the top third wasn't so plain. The edge of the sun's halo is cut off at the right, and the angles of the sunbeams and visible land throws the composition completely.

Entry nine is boring. Part of the dash is occluded by glare, too, which completely spoils the symmetrical effect that I assume the photographer was going for.

#9 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

What makes you think #3 is stolen, @Sweeney?

#10 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

I'm almost certain it is too.

#11 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

a quick google image search reveals this. :unsure:

#12 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm currently getting things sorted out about #3 (I'll extend voting once things are sorted out), so stay on the lookout for more updates.

Sorry for being so naive, haha; I should've checked. T_T

#13 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

I'm currently getting things sorted out about #3 (I'll extend voting once things are sorted out), so stay on the lookout for more updates.

Sorry for being so naive, haha; I should've checked. T_T

ur dead bye

#14 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

ur dead bye

...?

Anyway, all these entries are fantastic! It was really hard to choose in the end, they're all amazing :)

#15 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

...?

Anyway, all these entries are fantastic! It was really hard to choose in the end, they're all amazing :)

Have you not noticed the assassin game by now?

#16 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Nice entries!

#17 March

March
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Really? They couldn't just go outside for one minute and take their own picture?

Ah well, everyone else's photos are nice!

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:38 AM

I used to be on the graphics team, I have an eye for a faker ;)

#19 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

I used to be on the graphics team, I have an eye for a faker ;)

Huh. I see what you mean. ;-;

#20 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Huh. I see what you mean. ;-;

It's appeared on a diverse number of web pages...would be kind of sad to see the image actually place here. :(

#21 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Why hasn't #3 been disqualified yet? 

#22 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Why hasn't #3 been disqualified yet? 

I have no idea, but I do see that it has moved into a tie for 1st place. Should it NOT be disqualified and actually win 1st place, I will not be awarding the $10 NC Card code to the individual.

#23 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Chill out guys. Lol
Musician just wanted to give the individual who submitted it 24 hours to provide an explanation. Which is reasonable.

#24 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

That Venice sunset

#25 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Entry #3 has been disqualified due to concerns regarding its originality. I apologize for all of the drama and inconvenience that this has caused.

PLEASE recast your votes if you voted for #3!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wildhair, contest, voting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users