39 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

POPULAR POST!

I am a little late on this but I wanted to make this post anyway.

A few days ago, on January 19, 2014, we hit our 10th anniversary. Ten years ago, Neocodex was born. It's absolutely insane to me to imagine that ten years later, we're still here going strong. When we started, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that Neocodex would evolve into something like this. I just want to thank those who visit this site every day, those who trust us enough to provide their Neopets related services, and, most importantly, those who have been our friends over the years. It means the world to me.

I rarely get into my personal life these days but I thought I'd write down a little piece of my own life experiences that I have Neocodex to thank for. I was in high school when I started Neocodex and back then, I used to play Neopets pretty actively (Ironically enough, soon after starting Neocodex, I stopped playing Neopets :p. I didn't have time for it anymore... but that's a topic for another post :p). While at school, I had many subjects but the most fun for me at the time was definitely physics. In fact, I was so interested in physics that I had decided I wanted to be a physicist and was getting ready to apply to college as a physics major. I ended up applying as a mechanical engineer to college because an engineer is supposedly easier to employ than a pure physicist (at least that's what my dad said :p). During that summer and for the coming years, I worked quite a bit on the infrastructure here and started learning more about programming. I had taken a class on programming while still in high school and really enjoyed it, but it had been nothing more than a hobby at the time. Neocodex gave me a chance to use those programming skills in the real world where I could see the direct results of our work. I had people telling me about their experiences with our programs, requesting features, etc. It was awesome. Because of Neocodex, I ended up taking mostly computer science courses in college so that I could learn more. I loved the subject and put physics on the side for the time being. Eventually, I met with my advisor at college who told me in no uncertain terms that I would not graduate in four years if I continued to neglect mechanical engineering courses. I hadn't taken a single course in the major yet and I was already a year into the program. I ended up switching majors to computer science and continuing my education. I figured that if I was already doing it in my spare time, I might as well learn it really well and do it for a living too. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I am now employed as a software engineer doing what I love every day. While I sometimes wonder how life would have been had I continued on with mechanical engineering, I know that I wouldn't be where I am today without Neocodex. Neocodex is the reason I chose my profession and without it, I would have missed out on an amazing field that makes me happy and challenges me to my intellectual limits.

This post is getting a little longer than I hoped it would be. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Neocodex has been a major influencer in my life and I am so happy to have been a part of it. I know for a fact that others have a similar story to share. If you feel comfortable sharing it, please feel free to do so. But at this time, I just want to say thank you to everyone for a wonderful 10 years. It means more to me than I can say.

#2 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Cool story bro

#3 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

this website is so awesome, so thanks a lot @Hydrogen. :D

it's good that you've made a great decision for yourself! i was supposed to study medics because i excelled in biology but midway through it, i got bored and quit. later, i switched to architecture instead. at first, it was great but these days my grades have been all over the place. hopefully i could turn my result around and be happy going to work everyday once i graduated like you do! :)

#4 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Thank you for sharing your story  :)

One quote that should resonate throughout eveyone's lives: "Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life." Always enjoy what you do - it's true success.

#5 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Happy 10 years Neocodex!!! <3 I just realized my 3rd Codex anniversary was on the 20th of this month, yay 3 years!!

I have so much to thank for this place.  Some awesome friends and acquaintances, fun times, and an amazing boyfriend.  :wub:  /mushy

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Well, having just married someone I met here and moved halfway around the world, I guess you could say Neocodex has changed my life...

#7 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Happy 10 years Neocodex! As well, my 10th year anniversary is coming up here in another month or so (my actual join date is late-Feb. 2004). Oh my.

(And yes, Neocodex did change my life. The programming skills I acquired from here have proven useful in both academia and industry!)

#8 Clone2000

Clone2000
  • 59 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

Extraordinary story bro :D @Hydrogen, and Happy 10th Anniversary Codex!

#9 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Basically, from an MSN group to a corporation, Neocodex has grown like weeds. Pros are born here. Spartans fear us. Jupiter is pulled out of orbit by our gravity. Mel Gibson can't think of a slur for us. Rob Ford couldn't find better crack than us. Chuck Norris is our door man, and Clint Eastwood creepily watches our back. In short, we're invincible.

#10 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

Glad to hear it.

#11 Mikage

Mikage
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

This site has been around for a decade?!

I'm impressed.

#12 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

It's nice that something that started out so humbly has blossomed into something so big.

#13 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Damn Codex, you old!

But seriously, what an amazing milestone. A WHOLE DECADE!
*throws confetti*

#14 L33T

L33T
  • 862 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

A huge milestone. Congrats Hydro, it's really amazing how much the internet influences these days.

#15 dragonsblood

dragonsblood
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'll be honest, I didn't even read the first post. Too lazy right now. BUT...  I'm sure it was talking about how awesome NeoCodex is and I have to agree.

WHY DID I NOT JOIN SOONER. :heart:

#16 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Happy 10 years Neocodex! :)

Thanks for sharing your story, Hydro! Seems like this place has changed a lot of lives.

#17 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Glad I am still a part of this all :) To another 10 years? 

#18 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

Codex got me interested in programming, which is now it's one of my favorite pastimes.

Happy birthday Codex, hopefully you'll stick around for another 10 years.

#19 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Yay, happy 10 years Codex! :) I'm happy to be part of this community ^^

#20 darkharp

darkharp
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

grats

#21 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Fuck yeah, I'm old. 

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Fuck yeah, I'm old.

Yeah, y'are. For shame.

#23 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, y'are. For shame.

Aww you're going to make me cry :(

#24 Cant Stop Me

Cant Stop Me
  • 694 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Cheers Codex, I remember when I first discovered this place was quite a few years ago I'd say, good times. :)

#25 tutfisken

tutfisken
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

This is quite amazing! Happy Birthday Neocodex!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users