Quantcast

Photo

Is clicking on direct links to Neo safe?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 68apples

68apples
  • 36 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

I love web analytics. One of my favourite features of web analytics is that I can see what websites link to my website. In fact, I can see which specific users have clicked those links.

So it got me thinking. Is it safe to click on links to Neopets from within the forum? 

I have no idea how much TNT actually pays attention to how users click through to their site (other than, of course, to track their own marketing campaigns). Is there any sort of magical redirection wand waving going on so TNT can't tell the link is from Neocodex? (I'm not a l337 web developer so I don't know how easy/difficult that would be.)

It would be so easy for TNT to sort their incoming traffic by incoming links and just ban every account associated with cheating websites that way. (Eek.)

I did my best to search the forum to see if this question has been answered, terribly sorry if it has!

#2 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

I highly doubt they even look. Even if they did, it would be silly of them to ban people for just following a link from Neocodex. It's not solely a cheating site. :p There's an Item Database, Avatarlog, etc.

#3 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Although I agree with Kat, I don't do it. :S

I'm too paranoid. And TNT cannot be trusted in any way.

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

We used to have an anonymiser, but we're pretty confident that it was unnecessary, and no longer have it.

If you're paranoid, you can copy the links to your address bar - no referrer that way.

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

They don't pay attention to it but if you're concerned you can just copy/paste the links into your address bar and it doesn't send a referrer then. ;)

We used to have an anonymiser, but we're pretty confident that it was unnecessary, and no longer have it.

If you're paranoid, you can copy the links to your address bar - no referrer that way.

<_< I hate you.

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

<_< I hate you.

:wub:

#7 Chocodile

Chocodile
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for bringing this up.  Even though I don't think it's likely to cause any real harm, I think I'll try to avoid navigating that way from now on!

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

I have a post on here that I edit and post Neopets links into that way I can click it and get Codex additional referrals to TNT.

...and they still haven't noticed me. Eventually though I should be able to say that Codex is a viable Neopets Fan Community worthy of mention on Neo. :p

#9 68apples

68apples
  • 36 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

I highly doubt they even look. Even if they did, it would be silly of them to ban people for just following a link from Neocodex. It's not solely a cheating site.  :p There's an Item Database, Avatarlog, etc.

Yeah, I was thinking that could be the case. But once the thought was in my head I knew I had to ask!

I'm just starting to dip my toes into cheats so I'll trust what has worked for more experienced naughty players! I'll still be extra careful and just keep copy/pasting links, but I won't have to panic if I click on an odd one here or there. :p

Thanks so much everyone for the quick, reassuring response! ^_^

I have a post on here that I edit and post Neopets links into that way I can click it and get Codex additional referrals to TNT.

...and they still haven't noticed me. Eventually though I should be able to say that Codex is a viable Neopets Fan Community worthy of mention on Neo. :p

Hahaha. I do wonder sometimes just how many members on Neo are actually 100% legit. ;)

#10 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

TNT would really be like the Snuggle fabric softener bear chewing off it's own leg to escape the lint trap if they were to ban based on visiting one of their links from here: I mean really, as others said above, there's plenty of database material here that folks reference...plus if they start doing that, I really think their active user base would crash hard.

#11 bearlord

bearlord
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

I usually avoid clicking on those links, because I'm super paranoid.
But then again I'm not a great example, I don't click on people's shops or lookups or pet lookups because I'm so paranoid of getting cg'ed. xD

#12 666

• 183 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

TNT can never be trusted

#13 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

lol I never even though about that. I am always clicking links that take me from here to there... I have not heard of anybody having had issues with that from here... ever.

#14 68apples

68apples
  • 36 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:20 AM

TNT can never be trusted

^ They can be trusted to piss us off.  :censored:

#15 Freinity

Freinity
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm also over-paranoid and always copy/paste instead. Figure it can't hurt.

#16 Cupcakes

Cupcakes
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hm! I never even thought about this! Good idea, though, probably wouldn't hurt...

#17 y2w3o

y2w3o
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

No because of referers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users