Quantcast

Photo

The Elf on the Shelf is preparing your child to live in a future police state, professor warns

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

Last year: http://www.neocodex....s/#entry1701426

I feel basically the same as Joe.  I don't like the idea of actively deceiving my children to think that there will be negative ramifications if this little elf sees them doing something naughty.  Does anyone actually follow through with it, anyway?  The whole "naughty children get coal/no presents" thing is such bologna.  No one ever withholds presents from their kids at Christmas due to their behavior throughout the month prior, and I think that telling our children that it's a possibility to try to trick them into being "good" is wrong.

ETA: Besides, it's not Santa's job to discipline my kids, it's MY job to discipline them.  If they're being little shits, they're going to get punished, not idly threatened that Santa won't bring them presents.

I get that parents have the choice to use the elf however they wish, and that's fine.  There is still the way that you're "supposed" to use the elf, as Santa's "eyes and ears" according to their website, which I don't agree with.

#27 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

I don't personally see it as creepy...and I think that whether or not to do the Elf on the Shelf thing is really a matter of personal family decision. The only thing I see controlling and/or gestapo about the whole thing is if people try to dictate how others should live and think about it. If you want to do it, FINE, if not FINE...but piss off deciding for others, you know?

My personal choice: I want to life at @Kate's house and help look for the awesome Minecraft elf daily. :D

Nah, son. It's like buying a Furby. You invited a demon into your home and you are weak and natural selection is coming for you.

#28 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

Spoiler

Big Brother is Watching You

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users