• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

^^ The only issue I've come across is with my roommates wireless card in his desktop. Windows 10 doesn't like it at all, so he is using my 300ft ethernet cable :[.

that's exactly my issue  :( So far i've seen 1-2 workarounds for the drivers. But i'm not sure if i should try or not  :lol2: Time is money nomsayin' :p Btw what brand and model is it? Don't tell me it's a TL-WN851ND  :mellow:

#52 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

I heard that windows 10 blocks torrents. How does that work? Can you just not get torrents, or if it is torrented it wont run on your compter at all (ie. downloading on a non-windows 10 and transferring it).

#53 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

I heard that windows 10 blocks torrents. How does that work? Can you just not get torrents, or if it is torrented it wont run on your compter at all (ie. downloading on a non-windows 10 and transferring it).

You can download, and install torrents, but Microsoft may black flag that program and it'll cease to work. I don't really know any further details on their process, I just know from first hand experience :p.

#54 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:04 AM

I've got a new laptop recently and it had Windows 10 preinstalled. So far I like it, it's not that dissimilar to windows 7.

Only issues I have are that some of my programs that worked well on 7 do not work on 10. Tried a dual boot setup before Christmas but messed up my Windows 10 install, so had to factory reset via a recovery USB drive. Been given a quote of £60 before Christmas to get it dual booted at a computer shop. Enquired about it again yesterday and got a quote of £98... argh, that's more expensive!

And my current windows 7 laptop has a nasty habit of overheating, hence why I got a new laptop!

#55 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

Meh 98£ for dual booting. Those dudes are a rip-off  :rolleyes: You should try to follow a different tutorial tbh the price is not worth it

#56 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:17 AM

Meh 98£ for dual booting. Those dudes are a rip-off  :rolleyes: You should try to follow a different tutorial tbh the price is not worth it

I know, they quoted me £60 before the holidays though! They done that price because Windows 7 has to be installed before Windows 10, so they're effectively charging me for 2 Windows installations.

I asked for help on another forum about how to get it working. Tried installing Windows 7 from within 10, it wouldn't let me because it gave an unknown error. Tried booting up to the Windows 7 CD and got an error about the disk being a GPT disk. Converting to MBR then made the Windows 10 unbootable.

For some strange reason, it wouldn't let me repair install windows 10 either. And when I got Windows 7 up and running, the drivers wouldn't install.

So I ended up with a driverless windows 7 dual booted with an unbootable windows 10.

With that I gave up and got the HP Recovery USB stick out. That restored Windows 10 for me.

So I'm effectively back to square one: having Windows 10 that won't work on quite a lot of my older software (yet Windows 7 works fine, hence the dual boot requirement) and not being able to run older games (that aren't working on 10) because the old Acer Aspire 5742 has a nasty overheating issue (search on Google, you'll see what I mean) and turns itself off after about 10 minutes of playing a game on balanced power mode. (Power saving helps keep the temperatures low, but limits performance and makes things laggy.)

I'd gladly pay them £60 to do the dual booting (which was what I was previously quoted), because I can't be bothered to go though the procedure of messing things up and making things unbootable; but I don't want to pay almost £100 for it!

#57 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

Hmm I see :/ Wouldn't a virtual machine with windows 7 be enough for your usage?

#58 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

Hmm I see :/ Wouldn't a virtual machine with windows 7 be enough for your usage?

Not really as I plan to play a few games that won't run on windows 10, and my current windows 7 laptop still has serious overheating issues (that are reported all over the web from many users who own this model of laptop). Not to mention that, since I have a Win 7 Pro license, I am aiming to have Windows XP Mode installed, in order to run the really old stuff that struggles on even Windows 7. 

Since Windows XP Mode would probably be a VM inside Windows 7, if W7 was a VM in W10 then I would have a VM inside of another VM. Not good for performance!

I'm going to contact the local computer shop again and see if they can do it for cheaper, as I was quoted £60 before Christmas and now it's £98? But if they can sort everything out, including the installation of drivers (as that was one of things I struggled with), then I'll be happy. In fact, I might see if they can retain all of my installed data to put onto the dual booted Windows 10 (as you have to have 7 installed before 10).

Edit: Just confirmed that the price of £60 was actually for one Windows re-install, and that (since Windows 7 has to be installed first) two installs are required. Hence the price will be (for me) £98. Pricey but it's the only way that I'm going to be able to finally retire this overheating Acer laptop, and getting my Windows 7 and Windows 10 working on my shiny new HP laptop that runs substantially cooler.

Plus, since I am a university student, I got Windows 7 Pro for free, so it's not that bad I suppose.

Edited by spotify95, 01 January 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#59 thatguy988

thatguy988
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

I have windows 10 on my laptop but will be downgrading to windows 8 as soon as I have the time to do it haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users