• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:31 AM

Hundreds of likes on an Instagram picture of a perfectly posed, blond woman in a bikini may lead some to believe that she is confident and has a perfect life. But behind the scenes, Essena O'Neill felt like a lost and lonely teenager.

That is what the social media personality wants her followers and the world of social media to know: What you see on social media isn't always true to life.

The Australian-born model, who has made a career from posting blissful photos of herself in the perfect outfit with the perfect backdrop, surprised her followers when she deactivated her social media accounts, except for Instagram and YouTube.

She deleted thousands of pictures and instead, edited her posts to reiterate her message, "Social media is an illusion." O'Neill left some pictures on the site but added her comments to describe how she really felt when the photo was being taken.

O'Neill, who recently turned 19 years old, said she wished someone had told her that she was worth more than just an Instagram photo.

source: http://edition.cnn.c...na-oneill-irpt/

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:39 AM

If your sense of of self worth is based on how many people like your shit on Instagram or Facebook, you need professional help.

It's that simple.

#3 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:25 AM

I say good for her for dropping the whole scene. When I saw this story a bunch of people were in the comments saying this was a publicity stunt or a cry for attention and they call bullshit (because they're experts lel) and I was like ???? that's literally what she has been doing for the past 3+ years that she's been doing this. I believe her. 

#4 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:25 AM

Stop comparing your behind the scenes to other people's highlight reel.

#5 Required

Required
  • 922 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:28 AM

I'm glad that I'm not dependent of social media. I've always been a low profile guy when it comes to sharing your life via internet. I probably started being that way because, when I was younger, I had a really low self-steem. When I grew up I stopped feeling that way but I kept the low-profile attitude.

#6 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:39 AM

I feel bad for her. She's dropping something that was her life. That's got to be scary. What is she going to do now?

#7 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:46 AM

a lot of people are saying this is a hoax just to get more "fame" her instagram followers has already doubled over the past week. And she made a webpage asking for money?

Puh-lease, she's just an attention whore.

#8 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:45 AM

Almost everything we do is for attention.

#9 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:17 AM

I lol'ed at those tags.

And most important, who's Essena O'Neill? She's the first human with problems in her life? Lol

Mass extinction, where are you?

#10 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

"OMG, I had to take 100 photos to get the perfect one!"

e.e

#11 kadoatie

kadoatie
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:20 AM

If your sense of of self worth is based on how many people like your shit on Instagram or Facebook, you need professional help.

It's that simple.

So fucking true.  It's even worse when you're around people who constantly need to check their phones and get upset that they haven't received a text message lol

Edited by kadoatie, 05 November 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#12 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

People really need to stop over analyzing social media. When people post all their dirty laundry on social media it's annoying and ratchet, and yet when they only post good things people complain that it's fake or makes them feel bad about their own lives. i love social media because I like being able to keep up with my friends and watch them slay at life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inspiration, my hero, truth, viral, thank god, i dont use, social media

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users