Cheaper laptop help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hey guys. My laptop started tanking recently. It lasted 5 totally solid years. I got it in 2010 black friday for $500. It had an i5, 4gb ram, 500gb HD. THat was a screaming deal at the time. I am looking around for another black friday deal. Hopefully in the same price range (don't really want to spend more than $700). Looking for at least 8gb ram, i7, 256gb SSD. PC obviously. Anyone know of any deals that are close to this stuff? I know it is a longshot, I just got such a good deal on my last one, I know if I look for long enough, I can find a similar deal on a new one.

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:10 PM

This was my old laptop. I got it refurbished and @Chappy is currently using it. It works amazingly.
It's around 650 refurbished.

#3 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

This was my old laptop. I got it refurbished and @Chappy is currently using it. It works amazingly.
It's around 650 refurbished.

How does the hybrid drive work? I have always wondered about that...

#4 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

How does the hybrid drive work? I have always wondered about that...

The OS is prioritized (placed on the SSD) so it boots very quickly.

Anything placed on the HDD drive is about as quick as you'd expect it to be. 

Great for things like browsing the web or doing HW but load screens are a little long. You can always swap out the HDD when you have the money though.

I played Skyrim on it and got 30-40 FPS on medium settings.

Edit: The hybrid drive doesn't have anything to do with the gaming proformance, just about the i7.

#5 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Great for things like browsing the web or doing HW but load screens are a little long. You can always swap out the HDD when you have the money though.

Yeah I've got a hybrid drive on my current laptop (was SO thrilled when hubby bought it for me when my old HP died a few months back!), and it works a treat!

#6 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

Edit: The hybrid drive doesn't have anything to do with the gaming proformance, just about the i7.

Thanks Romy! That was actually really helpful. 

Yeah I've got a hybrid drive on my current laptop (was SO thrilled when hubby bought it for me when my old HP died a few months back!), and it works a treat!

Dannnnng.... What do I need to do for your hubby to get him to buy me that laptop??? That is clean...

Hey guys: I saw this computer.

Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel Core i7, 12GB, 1TB, Windows 10)
Item: 1674133
Model: S55-C5274

The Toshiba S55-C5274 Satellite Laptop Computer offers exceptional processing power and expansive storage with its 1TB hard drive.
  • Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Processor
  • 15.6” diagonal widescreen TruBrite® TFT display at 1366 x 768 native resolution (HD)
  • 12GB DDR3L 1600MHz
  • 1TB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive
  • DVD SuperMulti drive supporting 11 formats
  • Windows 10
  • Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7265
  • 4cell/45Wh Lithium Ion battery pack
  • Memory Card Reader - Secure Digital, SDHC, SDXC, miniSD, microSD, Multi Media Card (shared slot; may require adapter for use)
  • Built-in harman/kardon® stereo speakers

for $450. Do you think it is a good deal? Or would I be much happier with SSD/hybrid drive? I don't game that much. But who knows. I am just kinda medium knowledge as far as components go.

#7 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

That computer looks extremely solid to me. I am anxious to read what others have to say about it.

#8 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

Cool. I think I am going to go for it. I just wasn't sure I was overlooking anything big. Also, does anyone know anything about running torrented programs on windows 10? Like, can you just not download torrents, or can you not run any torrents at all? Because I can use my old laptop (windows 7) to download torrents I need and just transfer them if it works like that. Adam said they can flag it, but has anyone else had experience?

Edited by Kaddict, 17 November 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

The only obvious issue I'd have is the lack of dedicated graphics but if you don't really play games then that shouldn't be a major problem for you.

#10 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

Cool. I think I am going to go for it. I just wasn't sure I was overlooking anything big. Also, does anyone know anything about running torrented programs on windows 10? Like, can you just not download torrents, or can you not run any torrents at all? Because I can use my old laptop (windows 7) to download torrents I need and just transfer them if it works like that. Adam said they can flag it, but has anyone else had experience?

I torrent on win10 and half my programs are ripped and have had zero issues.

#11 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

Sweet. Thanks guys. I think I am going to buy it this week.

#12 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

Sweet. Thanks guys. I think I am going to buy it this week.

Awesome, and yeah I think that system looks terrific for what you are wanting...and great price!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users