harry potter rip alan rickman

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

I remember when my Aunt picked me up from camp, she had book 5 in the car and I read the entire thing on the way back, even though reading in cars makes me feel sick. I was so engrossed in the book, that I didn't even feel sick at all. 

And then book 7 came out when I was at camp. It was a gigantic pain trying to avoid people spoiling it for me. 

I remember Neopets actually spoiled book 6 for me. I was on a book panel for the midnight release party, but I got online before that, probably about 5 or 6pm here, and the Neoboards were already spoiling the book. 

I cried when

Spoiler
. That was the only thing I remember crying about in the books. 

#27 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

I cried when Dumbledore died, Snape, Dobby.. The last few books made me cry a lot

#28 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

I remember Neopets actually spoiled book 6 for me. I was on a book panel for the midnight release party, but I got online before that, probably about 5 or 6pm here, and the Neoboards were already spoiling the book. 

I cried when

Spoiler
. That was the only thing I remember crying about in the books. 

I have never cried reading the books. The only time I cried over HP was the 8th movie, where Harry is going to meet Voldemort to die and he uses the resurrection stone and everyone comes back as ghosts. It's just so sad. Harry's going to "die", all the dead people are back, and I knew it was the last time I would ever watch a HP movie in a theater. That the series and magic was ending. 

#29 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

My crying moments were reading The Prince's Tale (watching it in the movie makes me tear up as well though) and the wand-raising moment for Dumbledore in the cinema. Damn that scene was so powerful and emotionladen.

#30 DregsandDregs

DregsandDregs
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

I am wondering why the new movie, which is set in New York, is all British actors. 

I think it's because people from England brought the case o' critters over.  Oooor, maybe we'll get politics of Brit versus American, and the English wanting to maintain some control over the what they set up.  Just because the muggles threw off the crown doesn't mean the wizards did, fully.  I'm thinking a sort of Hong Kong like thing?

BTW, years ago, did anyone see that awesome youtube thing for a fanmade movie, uh, fires of olympus or something?

#31 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Cannot wait for the new movie!!! Scamander seems like an awesome dude xD

I personally only ever read book 1, but tried reading the others and couldn't get over the fact so much from the books were missing in the movies, so many amazing parts could have been put in the movies... I guess my mistake was watching the movies before reading the books haha

and who was the lady who called "Mr Scamander" in that preview? For some reason it sounded like mcgonagal but this is 70 years prior... xD

#32 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:00 PM

A Harry Potter topic, because we didn't already have one :) (I hope there's any interest in this)

In case you have read the books or watched the movies: Did you like it, and who's your favorite character or actor?

What do you guys think of the black woman who will play Hermoine in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child?

In my mind Hermoine is white (and it's stated in the books too) but I think she'll do a great job.

I'm also really excited about the new movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The movie takes place 70 years before the Harry Potter series and it's about a guy, Scamander, who travels the world in research of magical creatures.

The movie will release in November this year, here's the announcement trailer :) :

Yes I liked them, I listen to weekly podcasts regarding Harry Potter to this day. My favourite character would be Neville because of his dramatic growth or Hermione because she is a badass bitch who I most associate with. 

Noma Dumezweni is 'the black woman' and It makes me extremely uneasy that people aren't posting her name everywhere and instead referring to her in every way they can that is really inappropriate. I can't fucking wait for her to blow people away. Even if Hermione was white in someones head it is most likely because a) you are white or b) you are set on Hermione played by Ms. Watson 

There are novels not just Harry Potter where people who are any ethnicity besides 'white' read a novel and imagine the character in their native ethnicity. This is really common place and reading the books I probably white washed nearly all of the characters ( I also read the books the year they were released in Canada and was not exposed to anything but white people in my community.) =] 

Cannot wait for the new movie!!! Scamander seems like an awesome dude xD

I personally only ever read book 1, but tried reading the others and couldn't get over the fact so much from the books were missing in the movies, so many amazing parts could have been put in the movies... I guess my mistake was watching the movies before reading the books haha

and who was the lady who called "Mr Scamander" in that preview? For some reason it sounded like mcgonagal but this is 70 years prior... xD

Watching the movies before the books is definitely a rough way to get into any series :( 

While it is true that Fantastic Beasts take place 70 years before the events at Hogwarts (JK has said Fantastic Beasts  takes place roughly in 1920's NYC), Minerva was born in 1935. So while it is not her that says his name, she wasn't born 70 years after this film takes place ;) 

The person who screams his name however is Porpentina (aka Tina) his wife, as per the Pottermore article on the trailer. 

:3 

#33 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:19 AM

The interesting thing for me about the books is how her (JK) writting style change along with each book.  Its as if she was getting older in her writing as well as the caractors :p

Iv said before I do believe the last book was very rushed at the end and I felt that a better ending could have be done but the films did do it some justice.

As for the new film I am not sure how I feel about it but I will defo watch it.

#34 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:22 AM

Noma Dumezweni is 'the black woman' and It makes me extremely uneasy that people aren't posting her name everywhere and instead referring to her in every way they can that is really inappropriate. I can't fucking wait for her to blow people away. Even if Hermione was white in someones head it is most likely because a) you are white or b) you are set on Hermione played by Ms. Watson 

There are novels not just Harry Potter where people who are any ethnicity besides 'white' read a novel and imagine the character in their native ethnicity. This is really common place and reading the books I probably white washed nearly all of the characters ( I also read the books the year they were released in Canada and was not exposed to anything but white people in my community.) =] 

Thank you, I'll add her name to the post! :)

#35 DregsandDregs

DregsandDregs
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

The interesting thing for me about the books is how her (JK) writting style change along with each book.  Its as if she was getting older in her writing as well as the caractors :p

Thiiiiis.

That's like, her biggest strength of the books right there, they grow, and age.  You enter into a magical fairy tale world...and you find out it's as real as your own, with all the terrors and foibles and failures.

#36 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Love me some HP! I need to read Fantastic Beasts e.e

#37 KittyNikki

KittyNikki
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Is anyone else bothered by how the Harry Potter books lack continuity? I love the world J.K created, and I love the depth she gave the characters(in the beginning) but taking a look at all books there is a real problem(for me at least) of the stories flowing. Honestly it is almost as if a few different people wrote the books. Yes I know that they were edited, and that might have a bit to do with the lack of continuity, but the style of writing, and the vast differences in style and the presentation of certain characters truly bothers me.  :dots:

#38 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Is anyone else bothered by how the Harry Potter books lack continuity? I love the world J.K created, and I love the depth she gave the characters(in the beginning) but taking a look at all books there is a real problem(for me at least) of the stories flowing. Honestly it is almost as if a few different people wrote the books. Yes I know that they were edited, and that might have a bit to do with the lack of continuity, but the style of writing, and the vast differences in style and the presentation of certain characters truly bothers me.  :dots:

Could you give an example? I always just experienced it as the characters and the target audience growing up together

#39 KittyNikki

KittyNikki
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

Could you give an example? I always just experienced it as the characters and the target audience growing up together

• Sally-Ann Perks disappearing.
  • The Weasleys needing to be on the "Muggle" side of the platform.
  • The overall writing style differs greatly in quite a few of the books(Not sure how to explain this one, other than it seeming like completely different personality types wrote the books)
  • The Mirror of Erised was only supposed to give the stone to someone who wanted to find, but not use it. Therefore the ONLY one capable of retrieving the stone would have to be a student.
  • Magic is illegal to use outside of school, but not only does Petunia say something about remembering Lily change tea cups into rats(or vice versa, I don't quite remember) but "forgets" that Harry can't use magic...
  • Ignoring all mistakes made with dates and days, because nobody is perfect, J.K makes every September 2ed a Monday(which is impossible)
  • During the Tri-Wizard Tournament none of the spectators, or judges are able to see the second, or third task.

There are plenty of other websites out there that discuss all the plot holes and inconsistencies, but these are a few of the main things I noticed, and that rather bothered me.

Edited by KittyNikki, 26 January 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#40 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

• Sally-Ann Perks disappearing.
  • The Weasleys needing to be on the "Muggle" side of the platform.
  • The overall writing style differs greatly in quite a few of the books(Not sure how to explain this one, other than it seeming like completely different personality types wrote the books)
  • The Mirror of Erised was only supposed to give the stone to someone who wanted to find, but not use it. Therefore the ONLY one capable of retrieving the stone would have to be a student.
  • Magic is illegal to use outside of school, but not only does Petunia say something about remembering Lily change tea cups into rats(or vice versa, I don't quite remember) but "forgets" that Harry can't use magic...
  • Ignoring all mistakes made with dates and days, because nobody is perfect, J.K makes every September 2ed a Monday(which is impossible)
  • During the Tri-Wizard Tournament none of the spectators, or judges are able to see the second, or third task.

There are plenty of other websites out there that discuss all the plot holes and inconsistencies, but these are a few of the main things I noticed, and that rather bothered me.

For the teacups to rats thing, lily may have done that after she was 17, as Petunia never gave an age, when she could legally use magic outside of school. As for her forgetting Harry can't use magic, she hated Lily and anything to do with magic, so I imagine she would try and suppress/ignore anything she knew about it because she wants to forget it. The Weasley thing may have been done because it may be possible Dumbledore knew Harry might have trouble finding the platform, so he asked the Weasley's to help by being on the muggle side of the platform and talking about the platform so Harry could find his way. As for the tasks, Dumbledore speaks Mermish, which allows him to communicate with the Merpeople in the lake, who could see the task. There may have also been extra magic used in the lake to make sure the judges could know what was happening, that wasn't explained in the books. Same with the third task, the maze was full of magic, and it is possible there could have been magic that would allow the judges to know what was happening. 

#41 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

I never read the two final books (Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows). When I tried to buy them when they were released I couldn't, and when I was finally able too, I had already seen the movies and I always thought I'd feel weird. I still haven't bought them, although I'm pretty sure I will, eventually. :p

I love the story. I've read the 5 books I have so many times I lost count. They were a very important part of my childhood and I was never able to lend them to friends like I always did to any of my other books. I've watched all the movies countless times, I know them my memory and Mancave always makes fun of me because of it lol. I have all the movies too, and I can't wait for the Tiny Humans to be old enough to watch them and read the books!

Hagrid is my favourite character in the books. Snape is my favourite character in the movies, somehow I always knew he was amazing. His love for Lily is just beautiful...

I had no idea about the movie "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". It looks cool, so I'm sure I'll watch it. :p

#42 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:10 AM

Why can't Harry tell the difference between a cooking pot and his best friend?

Spoiler

#43 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

Why can't Harry tell the difference between a cooking pot and his best friend?

Is this a joke?

#44 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

Is this a joke?

It is. Now I've put the answer in a spoiler.

#45 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

Haha that's awful lol

#46 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Haha that's awful lol

C'mon I'm sure you cracked a smile.

#47 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:39 AM

C'mon I'm sure you cracked a smile.

lol yeah i did. took me a minute because I've never pronounced cauldron like that I was like wtf how does this make any sense lol

#48 Sirius

Sirius
  • Azkaban Survivor

• 99 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:14 AM

Goblet of Fire is my favorite book out of the series. DH (both parts) are my favorite movies. GoF and PoA were missing so much out of the movies that they are my very least favorites to watch.

#49 yeahneocodex

yeahneocodex
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

HARRY POTTA, ONE OF MY FAHVORITE BOOKS <3<3<3 I'm super hyped for Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson, though :p

#50 Sirius

Sirius
  • Azkaban Survivor

• 99 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

HARRY POTTA, ONE OF MY FAHVORITE BOOKS <3<3<3 I'm super hyped for Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson, though :p

I'm excited to see a full trailer for this. The teaser seemed as though they tried to keep true to the Disney version where possible.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: harry potter, rip alan rickman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users