Natural Disaster

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:57 AM

The most recent disaster I remember was that ice storm Tauriel mentioned, but luckily I flew to San Jose for a vacation. My flight back did get delayed though, due to the -40 weather.

#27 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:59 AM

There was a huge earthquake in NZ that devastated the entire city of Christchurch, luckily for me I live in Auckland so I wasn't hit hard but I know a lot of people who lost their homes and their jobs. It was also very difficult on the countries economy and the housing market in Auckland with the huge influx of people moving from chch

i remember that, it was all over the news in australia for a good week or two

my brother recently moved to NZL with his girlfriend and he experienced one of the smaller earthquakes in christchurch.

way to post it all over facebook and not call us, LOL :( 

#28 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

Unless you call never ending rain a natural disaster, London isn't big on them

#29 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

I'm an earthquake survivor. For reals.

#30 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

I was living in South Florida during quite a few hurricanes, the most famous being Wilma and Katrina. The path of at least one of those (my memory is foggy) put our house right in the eye of the storm at one point. The feeling you get as you sit there, a massive hurricane hovering over you, just waiting for the second wall of the eye to hit you, is terrifying. Everything was silent and all we could do was to sit there listening to our fire alarms that were set off by the air pressure. I always mix Wilma and Katrina up, but we lost part of our roof in one of them. The stucco tiles from our house and our neighbors' were scattered across the cul-de-sac, my friends trampoline was sent to the bottom of our lake, and houses without shutters had shattered windows. Walking outside the next day, everything looked apocalyptic. The sky was gray, there weren't any animals in sight, and bits and pieces that had broke off from our houses littered our lawns. My friend who had movable shutters had peeked outside during the storm and saw his kayaks fly up into the air, only held back by a chain tying them to his fence. We didn't have school for two weeks, and my entire family slept on stripped mattresses in our family room on the first floor so we could make use of our generator-powered AC window unit. Everyone was okay, but it's not an experience I'd ever want to go through again.

#31 warmonger2

warmonger2
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

Sorry to see that. I hope it doesnt happen to anyone.

#32 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:56 AM

A lifetime of hurricanes. One even went over us on my birthday. Still went to get the birthday cake from the store. I was also born a few days after Hurricane Andrew (category 5) fucked Florida up.

Hurricane Charley (category 4) was really bad. My county is super small and maybe only 10-15 feet above sea level? So if we were to get a direct hit from a cat 3-5 then we would most likely be gone. Anyway, Charley was headed straight for my county, and ended up going a different direction at the last minute.

Spoiler

In that image, I'm up by Tampa. The projection was showing it coming to us and it took a turn before it could. It messed up Punta Gorda really bad and my mom had to go and help evacuate one nursing homes there. 2004-2005 were particularly bad years for hurricanes in Florida. 

Katrina (category 5) was somewhat terrifying because, as many of you may know, it went up through the Gulf of Mexico. Hurricanes are assholes and go where they want so we had to keep close watch in case Katrina decided to turn back towards us (it had already previously crossed over Florida). We got a lot of the outer bands from Katrina as well - she as an angry, angry hurricane.

Usually, the saying in Florida is that anything under a category 3 isn't worth waking up for. It's true. We have hurricane parties. 

tumblr_mf7a2vzjSE1rsosnuo5_250.gif

I've had plenty of tornadoes and waterspouts as well. Waterspouts are cool to see until they want to come up on the shore

This one in particular was a mile or two from me. It actually came ashore and messed some houses up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users