Quantcast

Extreme beginner, please help.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

I'm planning on learning C++ so I can make my own video games, but if I wanted to contribute here as a programmer, what languages should I learn?

(Also keep in mind I'm an absolute idiot and know nothing so far, I haven't started really yet, also if anyone knows of any legal, free guides for learning. Please let me know, anything that's like playing a game works best for me.)

#2 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:35 PM

I'd say you're fine with any language tbh :p C++ is a powerful one to make any sort of neopets cheating program. As for learning C++ i have no idea but if you later on wanna learn python or some javascript try codecombat.com :p As for starting on C++ you can  useh http://www.learncpp.com/ a lot of youtube videos  :)

Edited by GetJinxed, 20 May 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#3 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

Some people probably wouldn't agree with me on this, but C++ isn't really a friendly "first language".  One thing that very few people would disagree with me on, though, is that you won't learn that much from a programming "game" (but it might help get you started :) ).

I've seen a lot of neat code games out there.  I would recommend starting with CodeCombat.

My first programming language was Java, but I hear Python is a great first language too. Just a heads up - you probably won't be making awesome games for quite a while no matter what language you learn.

#4 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

Some people probably wouldn't agree with me on this, but C++ isn't really a friendly "first language".  One thing that very few people would disagree with me on, though, is that you won't learn that much from a programming "game" (but it might help get you started :) ).

I've seen a lot of neat code games out there.  I would recommend starting with CodeCombat.

My first programming language was Java, but I hear Python is a great first language too. Just a heads up - you probably won't be making awesome games for quite a while no matter what language you learn.

I actually do agree with you, I would try to learn some other language first that could help you learn some good programming techniques.

Both languages you have mentioned (python and java) have libraries for creating games, in fact I know that in my first year university class we had to make a battleship game using java (client and server).

I highly suggest python if you are not looking to get into the strict type limitations just yet, and then Java when you get a bit more comfortable... C++ can be a bit daunting, especially if you are just doing this out on your own and are not working on it with a team.

#5 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:34 PM

Python > x

#6 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:26 AM

The only reason I'm doing C++ is my girlfriend knows it, and can help me, plus I really want to get into video game development and I need it :p

As for Python, I've heard before I should use it, but the people telling me didn't cheat at games, so I had no idea.

#7 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:09 AM

The only reason I'm doing C++ is my girlfriend knows it, and can help me, plus I really want to get into video game development and I need it :p

As for Python, I've heard before I should use it, but the people telling me didn't cheat at games, so I had no idea.

That's a good reason, but before learning any language syntax I would learn about algorithms.

#8 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:14 AM

I actually do agree with you, I would try to learn some other language first that could help you learn some good programming techniques.

Both languages you have mentioned (python and java) have libraries for creating games, in fact I know that in my first year university class we had to make a battleship game using java (client and server).

I highly suggest python if you are not looking to get into the strict type limitations just yet, and then Java when you get a bit more comfortable... C++ can be a bit daunting, especially if you are just doing this out on your own and are not working on it with a team.

Okay, okay, so you can learn some games when you start out. I made a wizard dungeon type game with randomly generated enemies for my first year (w/ java). I just meant that people tend to think they'll start out right away with awesome, complex games like ones they've played online. (or at least I kind of thought that)

#9 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

That's a good reason, but before learning any language syntax I would learn about algorithms.

Where can I learn about that?

Okay, okay, so you can learn some games when you start out. I made a wizard dungeon type game with randomly generated enemies for my first year (w/ java). I just meant that people tend to think they'll start out right away with awesome, complex games like ones they've played online. (or at least I kind of thought that)

Oh, I expect my first few games to be absolute crap. I know what to expect there, and I know it's going to be a long time before I can make anything of quality. This is my passion though, so it's worth it to me, and I want to do it right.

#10 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

Where can I learn about that?

You can find some good books suggestions here:

https://www.quora.co...n-a-simpler-way

#11 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

You can find some good books suggestions here:

https://www.quora.co...n-a-simpler-way

Thanks, I'm gonna check this out :D

#12 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:03 AM

Well I am one of the people who wrote the programs to cheat on the games, I have not actually "played" neopets in years. Doing this cheating programming has gotten me a job in the programming industry and I still believe that creating applications like this is one of the best ways to learn the common problems you will encounter when developing your applications.

Depending on the style of programming you use (Functional (argued as the better of the two) or Object Oriented (oop)) you will encounter different ways to accomplish the same problem, we all use OOP at my work and learning how to extract common functions into modules, or even a group of modules out into its own library is something important to learn early on. An example would be that when parsing things for neopets, and trying to fetch individual items on a page (such as the url to a next page, or the number of neopoints you have), one of the more common functions we use is called "GetStringBetween" which takes a large string object, the start of a string, and the end of the string... so we can get the contents between two unique strings on a page.

That function is an easy example, you could also pass in additional parameters such as the option to strip html out, removing extra whitespase - all kinds of other things. A website that I found helped with these kinds of things is called https://projecteuler.net/ It is basically a bunch of mathematical problems that you solve via programming, After a bunch of the tests you will notice that there are some functions that could help you speed things up (such as finding the least common denominator, or creating a generator to yield prime numbers). I'd suggest you take a look there.

#13 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

Well I am one of the people who wrote the programs to cheat on the games, I have not actually "played" neopets in years. Doing this cheating programming has gotten me a job in the programming industry and I still believe that creating applications like this is one of the best ways to learn the common problems you will encounter when developing your applications.

Depending on the style of programming you use (Functional (argued as the better of the two) or Object Oriented (oop)) you will encounter different ways to accomplish the same problem, we all use OOP at my work and learning how to extract common functions into modules, or even a group of modules out into its own library is something important to learn early on. An example would be that when parsing things for neopets, and trying to fetch individual items on a page (such as the url to a next page, or the number of neopoints you have), one of the more common functions we use is called "GetStringBetween" which takes a large string object, the start of a string, and the end of the string... so we can get the contents between two unique strings on a page.

That function is an easy example, you could also pass in additional parameters such as the option to strip html out, removing extra whitespase - all kinds of other things. A website that I found helped with these kinds of things is called https://projecteuler.net/ It is basically a bunch of mathematical problems that you solve via programming, After a bunch of the tests you will notice that there are some functions that could help you speed things up (such as finding the least common denominator, or creating a generator to yield prime numbers). I'd suggest you take a look there.

I ran out of rep to give for the day lmao, oops.

I don't understand what some of that means, but like I said, I'm very very new, I don't know a thing about programming. I'll have to google some of this :p

#14 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

That is kinda why I said it, to give you terms to google :p

#15 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

I agree with the person who said C++ is a really daunting place to start @Aria.

I did it in the beginning of my college years. I had a little prior experience in programming, since I'm fluent with CSS/HTML (not the same exact type of language, but having some prior exposure is good), but I really struggled with C++. It's not easy. I think you have a ton of awesome people who can help you here get started and learn. Python is a bit more user-friendly. I've heard https://www.codecademy.com/ is awesome to start with a lot of different languages. :)

#16 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

That is kinda why I said it, to give you terms to google :p

I see you stealthily trying to educate me :p

I agree with the person who said C++ is a really daunting place to start @Aria.

I did it in the beginning of my college years. I had a little prior experience in programming, since I'm fluent with CSS/HTML (not the same exact type of language, but having some prior exposure is good), but I really struggled with C++. It's not easy. I think you have a ton of awesome people who can help you here get started and learn. Python is a bit more user-friendly. I've heard https://www.codecademy.com/ is awesome to start with a lot of different languages. :)

True, I mean I am in the right place to ask for help with what I'm doing :p

Maybe I'll start with python, could be fun :p

#17 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

I kinda don't agree with learning algorithms right off the bat.  Aside from really basic use of arrays and such, you should probably learn the syntax of at least one language before getting into learning the algorithms. Algorithms are extremely useful, but to implement them and understand why they're useful, it'd probably be best to know at least one language first.

Whenever you do get into algorithms, though, I would suggest a book called Data Structures & Algorithm Analysis in C++. The author made the latest version free here.

#18 Rainforce

Rainforce
  • 314 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

''Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" Is the book I use for learning C++. This book was recommended  to me by programmers from a college course called IGAD at NHTV. There should be a free PDF floating around :)

Edited by Rainforce, 22 May 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#19 zex

zex
  • 224 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:52 AM

My first language was BASIC back when I was a wee lass of only 7. I took C in college and was told that once you know C, most other languages are just a change in syntax.That seems to have held up well. C++ is a nice language to learn. The syntax is decently forgiving, but I also haven't tried to put it to any practical use.

You may be able to try codeacademy or even Coursera. Sometimes they have good stuff on there.

#20 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:44 AM

I kinda don't agree with learning algorithms right off the bat.  Aside from really basic use of arrays and such, you should probably learn the syntax of at least one language before getting into learning the algorithms. Algorithms are extremely useful, but to implement them and understand why they're useful, it'd probably be best to know at least one language first.

Whenever you do get into algorithms, though, I would suggest a book called Data Structures & Algorithm Analysis in C++. The author made the latest version free here.

Thank you so much, I'm going to check that out now.

My first language was BASIC back when I was a wee lass of only 7. I took C in college and was told that once you know C, most other languages are just a change in syntax.That seems to have held up well. C++ is a nice language to learn. The syntax is decently forgiving, but I also haven't tried to put it to any practical use.

You may be able to try codeacademy or even Coursera. Sometimes they have good stuff on there.

Thanks, are those places free? I have no source of income so it's not something I can do if not :p

#21 zex

zex
  • 224 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

Thank you so much, I'm going to check that out now.

Thanks, are those places free? I have no source of income so it's not something I can do if not :p

Codeacademy and Coursera are both free. I think you can pay to take a certification at the end of the Coursera courses, but if you are really just in it for the knowledge it really doesn't matter.

#22 laurennnn

laurennnn
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

Another vote for C++ not being the greatest beginning language. I'd consider starting with Java, or maybe Python. Try them both out and see if you prefer one over the other. Really, as you're just starting out, the most important thing is learning programming concepts. It's easier to pick up different languages later on if you decide to do so.

A few resources I'd recommend checking out are http://learncodethehardway.org/ and http://www.programarcadegames.com/ (if you do decide to use Python this could be a good start if you're interested in making games)

#23 J03

J03
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

With the amount of resources available in other languages for Neopets, you are better off using another. But if you want the challenge and experience for your video game ventures, then I recommend you stick with C++.

#24 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

With the amount of resources available in other languages for Neopets, you are better off using another. But if you want the challenge and experience for your video game ventures, then I recommend you stick with C++.

Video game ventures are #1 priority

#25 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

Video game ventures are #1 priority

Are you planning to develop games professionally? If so, from what I hear work is pretty tedious and sometimes depressing as a regular developer, especially if you get into a major brand that wants to push out several titles a year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users