What word(s) do you hate?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Cyka

Cyka
  • 132 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

I die a little whenever I see someone call eyes 'orbs'.

Also @Scavi your signature makes me laugh ty

#27 Dexternaut

Dexternaut
  • 73 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:04 PM

This is gonna get confusing to understand (maybe), but I'm mad at the english language itself.

While talking in Spanish, and I'm talking to a superior, a respectable person, an old person, I can/am supposed to go "Usted" as in a formal way of adressing the other one. But, with english, I can only go with "You" which is, at least in spanish, a casual way to adressing anyone you know.

I'M MAD AT THE LACK OF FORMAL WAYS TO ADRESSING OTHERS That are so normal on my mother tongue!

I know there are some ways like Miss and Mister, but, that sounds... so much more than what I need tho. Omg.

I said it'd be confusing.

#28 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

This is gonna get confusing to understand (maybe), but I'm mad at the english language itself.

While talking in Spanish, and I'm talking to a superior, a respectable person, an old person, I can/am supposed to go "Usted" as in a formal way of adressing the other one. But, with english, I can only go with "You" which is, at least in spanish, a casual way to adressing anyone you know.

I'M MAD AT THE LACK OF FORMAL WAYS TO ADRESSING OTHERS That are so normal on my mother tongue!
I know there are some ways like Miss and Mister, but, that sounds... so much more than what I need tho. Omg.

Not confusing at all. It's the same with Portuguese.
But it doesn't make me mad like it does to you. :p

#29 neobo

neobo
  • 229 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:22 PM

Haha I feel the reverse. So many forms to learn and then I am still confused with formal and informal commands. That said, if you learn street basics in one city, ex BsAs and vos, then you have your foot in your mouth in another city. Prepositions and phrasal verbs are hard to learn in English but not having to learn masculine or feminine is a plus.

Kerfuffle is my favorite word in English

#30 Dexternaut

Dexternaut
  • 73 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

Not confusing at all. It's the same with Portuguese.
But it doesn't make me mad like it does to you. :p

Hahaha, I was thinking about which words I would hate and then I realized I hated that fact! I remember getting stuck on conversations years ago because of my inability to not try and think about how It sounded in my mind vs. How it actually sounded.  :( 

Haha I feel the reverse. So many forms to learn and then I am still confused with formal and informal commands. That said, if you learn street basics in one city, ex BsAs and vos, then you have your foot in your mouth in another city. Prepositions and phrasal verbs are hard to learn in English but not having to learn masculine or feminine is a plus.

Kerfuffle is my favorite word in English

I guess that's a way of looking at it too! I never studied english properly, most of the stuff I know comes from lurking on the internet and mixing logic with association, sometimes I clearly make statements where you can see how BROKEN my english is and sometimes you wouldn't notice.

So when I found out I couldn't do the thing I'D ALWAYS DO on spanish it was pure frustration! :p

But I can see where you're coming from! I thank the fact that it could be a harder language to learn and it isn't. Even if I cannot say I feel satisfied with my control of it. Rghrgrhgrh!!

#31 Kwi

Kwi
  • 62 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

"bae". I hate this ! idk why, just it annoys me. And my favorites words are... "Weird" and "Picture" :') 

haha apparantly "bae" means poop in danish too so definitely not a word you wanna use to describe your significant other! :p

#32 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:28 AM

i dont have a word i dislike

but i DO LIKE the word 'cunt' specifically using it as follows: "you fucking cunt" ah yes how my road rage begins

my boyfriend hates the word 'moist'

and his dad hates the word 'motherfucker' 

#33 Paprika

Paprika
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:06 AM

oh man the lack of formal ways to address people in English constantly gets me. the switching from formal vernacular to informal is so natural to me when i speak asian languages, sometimes i feel rude when addressing a professor by 'you'. 

ugh english is such a crapsack language to learn, considering the number of exceptions to the rules, and how little the pronunciation makes sense. knifes, really? D<

everyone thinks chinese is this mystical hard language, but at the very least it doesn't differentiate between he/she, past/present or number in its morphology. :D sooooo much easier to learn than english, seriously.

#34 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:16 AM

I haven't heard it, but to you native speakers it probably sounds similarly, but for me that I go deep on pronunciation theory there are changes on the vowel sounds and the pronunciation of the /t/. I understand if you guys don't really notice it :)

Less pronunciation, more enunciation I think. There's perhaps a tiiiny bit more stress on the second syllable in American English but really it's just that as a Brit I wouldn't drop the t.

#35 Locket

Locket
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

SHINGLES.

I have no idea why but it always makes me cringe 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users